What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
No. More so the fact that....

- if they have gone to the video ref, someone would have come on here talking about how "that was a waste of time and the refs should have made a decision and backed themselves"

or

- if the had called no-try, someone would have come on here talking about how "it was obviously a try. he had contact the whole time. Should have gone to the Video Ref"

My point is: just because you disagree with the ref doesnt mean he is wrong and you are right. There is always going to be someone that disagree; just acknowledge that your point of view is subjective and biased.

And even if he is wrong, thats one mistake in 80 minutes/ 5000 decisions. He is human and he didnt have the HD, Slow-Motion replays you did to make a decision. You do better from that position....

.....Have you even seen the moment we're talking about?

Card Shark

Immortal
And even if he is wrong, thats one mistake in 80 minutes/ 5000 decisions.

Has anyone ever added up how many decisions a rugby league ref has to make in a game?

Every time a player makes a tackle, a pass is thrown, the ball is played, the defence moves up etc, multiple decisions are made.

I've guessed a few thousand before but it may be as many as 5,000.

In comparison, soccer refs make 1/10 as many decisions but still have big blunders.

Charlie124

First Grade
No. More so the fact that....

- if they have gone to the video ref, someone would have come on here talking about how "that was a waste of time and the refs should have made a decision and backed themselves"

or

- if the had called no-try, someone would have come on here talking about how "it was obviously a try. he had contact the whole time. Should have gone to the Video Ref"

My point is: just because you disagree with the ref doesnt mean he is wrong and you are right. There is always going to be someone that disagree; just acknowledge that your point of view is subjective and biased.

And even if he is wrong, thats one mistake in 80 minutes/ 5000 decisions. He is human and he didnt have the HD, Slow-Motion replays you did to make a decision. You do better from that position....

Hi Matt, welcome to LU.

Apey

Staff member
Lol I was filthy that Lui even got that far but I guess him dropping the ball was the cream on the cream pie.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
.....Have you even seen the moment we're talking about?

Not only did i see it, im a Knights fan...

Im just sick of hearing people blame refs for a loss, or even worse when it had no effect on the result at all. If one decision means winning or losing, you deserve a result decided by chance.

If the Knights had lost on the back of that, it would have been their fault anyway...

dragonsrule10

Juniors

Im just sick of hearing people blame refs for a loss, or even worse when it had no effect on the result at all. If one decision means winning or losing, you deserve a result decided by chance.

If the Knights had lost on the back of that, it would have been their fault anyway...

That sort of attitude towards refs is something that would be difficult to change, it happens in every grade, from under 6's all the way through to first grade. I think it's fine to be critical of a ref if their overall performance is poor, however, I think it has been pretty over the top recently.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That sort of attitude towards refs is something that would be difficult to change, it happens in every grade, from under 6's all the way through to first grade. I think it's fine to be critical of a ref if their overall performance is poor, however, I think it has been pretty over the top recently.

My little cousin plays netball in a local comp...

The rule they have is, if you are on the sideline you can only yell encouraging shit to the players; no tactics, no abuse, nothing.

One warning (if theyre feeling generous) then you get sent away from the sideline. If you refuse to go, the game is stopped til you leave so everyone turns on the dickheads pretty quickly.

If you want it out of the game you need to come down on it hard. Its worked with the no-punch rule, because the reaction is so harsh. The kind of abuse refs receive is over the top and will stop younger people joining up to help with the game.

Rod

Bench

So you can't question the refs after a win or a loss :roll:.

Mate you've picked the wrong decision to defend the refs on, it's not like it's a lopsided penalty count or questionable forward pass we're talking about here. Look at the picture linked above, the fact the ref awarded a try from the position he was in is an embarrassment whether we were up by 4 or 40.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lui drops it cold. Clear as day. From a metre above the ground the balls come loose by a good margin of separation.

That picture highlights the referees incompetence because Cecchin is standing right f**king there! Hopeless.

I know we often joke about it but Cecchin really does need to get his eyes checked. Nobody with eyesight that poor that they can miss a blatant knock on from there should be refereeing professional sport. If he misses that how can he pick up the more subtle ones.
Make him get some contacts or kick him out.

Canard

Immortal
Lui drops it cold. Clear as day. From a metre above the ground the balls come loose by a good margin of separation.

That picture highlights the referees incompetence because Cecchin is standing right f**king there! Hopeless.

Cech had to give one dodgy back to the Cowboys after all these years.

He knew that if he did it in a game that was over he wouldn't be criticised.

I blame the Queensland Maroons for the constant referee whinging, ever since they started doing it they created this perception that everything that does not go a teams way is the referees fault.

The referees are nowhere near as bad as people are making them out to be, although I do agree that sometimes they do make some blunders, but thats to be expected from such a fast paced sport.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So you can't question the refs after a win or a loss :roll:.

Will it change the result??

And after 80 minutes, if one bad call can decide a game, you kind of deserve to win or lose based on a chance call...

Mate you've picked the wrong decision to defend the refs on, it's not like it's a lopsided penalty count or questionable forward pass we're talking about here. Look at the picture linked above, the fact the ref awarded a try from the position he was in is an embarrassment whether we were up by 4 or 40.

Im talking more about the pointless focus on this...

A game that breaks the Knights 7 game losing streak, but all anyone can think about is one bad call. Im not saying it was a good call, Im saying this focus on the refs does nothing but damage the games/effect the recruitment of new refs/make fans cynical.

This is from another thread...
I was just looking at a VRL Club's facebook page and apparently the VRL is short about 30 officials each week, with referees doing 3 to 4 games a week. https://www.facebook.com/nwwrlc

How do you think the game is going to go when no one whats to ref because of the abuse they receive...

Last edited:
After allowing this try last week (3mins into the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO0jDrbswRQ

And an absolutely diabolical display tonight where he and his co-referee made copious amounts of errors and lost control of the aggression in the match, is Matt Cecchin still deserving of refereeing NRL?

Personally I think he needs to be sacked, not dropped, sacked. He simply isnt up to it.

Thoughts?

Swarzey

Bench
At least half the referees aren't; not one is consistently good enough to justify being what the NRL needs.

But it isn't going to change. Given I was still young during the early 2000's, mid 2000's, I can't really comment on the quality but in more recent years I've certainly seen it deteriorate. It comes down to how they're coached.