What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

lockyno1

Post Whore
At the game I thought the refereeing in the Saints v Tigers game was very poor and very one sided. Having watched it again, I am still of that opinion. There is no way Saints should have won the penalty count by such a margin. It seems that the referees are still crap.

Disagree, Farah in particular was having a sleep in the ruck. Players will get it, eventually they will learn how much you can get away with under the new interpretations.

Biggest cheer of the night at Parra - when the ref didn't go to the video ref!

What a joke last night was - the ref (the one who wasn't Perenara) was terrible. That game felt a lot longer than it had to be because of always going to the video. He should have given his match payments to the man in the box, he did his job for him.

Now the junior refs just don't want to make a call anymore and rely on the video all the time if they are in any doubt.

Card Shark

Immortal
I can't remember the try, but it really pissed me off when Parra put up a bomb, and in the contest for the ball it's come down. The ref has ruled 6 again and then we've scored a try. The ref (after indicating that he thought it was no try) has then gone to the video ref to check the contest for the ball. The same contest he ruled 6 again for.

He made a call and then didn't back himself. They were f**king woeful tonight.

Can't agree with this. When 2 or more players go up for the catch & it is knocked on between them, this is when the video ref is most useful because it is hard to tell if it hits both players most times.

It's the try / put down that refs see with their own eyes but still go to to video that happens a lot slower & it is generally more obvious what happens.

thorson1987

Coach
Can't agree with this. When 2 or more players go up for the catch & it is knocked on between them, this is when the video ref is most useful because it is hard to tell if it hits both players most times.

It's the try / put down that refs see with their own eyes but still go to to video that happens a lot slower & it is generally more obvious what happens.

He is talking about the fact the ref already made a call on the contest.

If parra didn't score, it would have been tough titties to the warriors. Parra still get an extra 6 tackles.

It's a f**king joke

gronkathon

First Grade
All we can hope for as fans is correcting mistakes moving forward I guess.

The only thing that really peeved me in Round 1 was guys like Lyon & Creagh still going and having a chat to the reff at every opportunity and not getting sent away as the new rules are designed for. Same with Farah in parts too

papabear

Juniors
It happened both in the tigers game and in the raiders game.

A player getting up to fast fumbling the play the ball and then getting a penalty for their geniusedness.

Bad decisions imo, was far better officiated in the souths roosters game.

Slackboy72

Coach
as a tiger's fan. Refs were ordinary, i've seen a lot worse though. Penalty count shoulda been in dragons favour, but not as much as it was.

Good video ref decisions though.

Personally I wouldn't have given the Witt try but it was all on Ashley Klein for the farah and T'Pau(?) try. How he managed to see the ball being grounded in either circumstance is beyond me.

gronkathon

First Grade
Can't speak for the Farah try but from my vantage point on the Tapau try you could clearly see ball hitting chalk. Bad camera angles though

I still don't like this system of the on field referee making a call before he goes to the video ref.
In most cases the ref goes upstairs because he has nfi if it's a try or not. So when he offers his opinion of try or no try it's just a random choice.
Then if the video ref can't see anything he has to stick with this 'random choice'.
I would much rather benefit of the doubt.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Personally I wouldn't have given the Witt try but it was all on Ashley Klein for the farah and T'Pau(?) try. How he managed to see the ball being grounded in either circumstance is beyond me.

Was given a try. Could you conclusively say he didn't score? I don't think he scored either but could I be 100% certain of that, no. Fair try.

Quidgybo

Bench
There's been a distinct change in the way they're running the two ref system. They are defaulting to the senior ref running almost the entire game from the control position with the junior ref stationed in the pocket. The only times they're not in this configuration is when there's a quick turnaround through lost possession, where the junior ref assumes control for one or two tackles. But at the first opportunity the refs cross so the senior one is back in control. This is a significant change to the way they've run the system the last few seasons. Also I see a first grade ref was running the sideline last night (after several first grade refs ran sidelines during the Nines). Archer trying to put more experienced officials in the key positions?

Leigh.

hunters

Juniors
Was given a try. Could you conclusively say he didn't score? I don't think he scored either but could I be 100% certain of that, no. Fair try.

If the ref saw it grounded so clearly why send it up to check the grounding?

hunters

Juniors
They have to make a decision on everything they send to the vidoe ref so by your logic why do they send anything up to be checked?

In explaining it to the players he said he clearly saw the ball being grounded. Other tries have a lot of different things to be checked, the farah try was sent up to check grounding.

anjado

Juniors
The Parramatta vs Warriors game last round was absolutely painful to sit through the second half went on for an hour and ten minutes it was like watching an American sport. The standard of play was of a decent level but the game just went on forever.

They went to the video referee for every decision it was utterly ridiculous and the game was ruined as a spectacle. As a result of their indecisiveness both referees should have been dropped to reserve grade.

ceagle

Bench
We still had the usual penalty count square up happen often in round 1, that shit needs to stop.

Big Sam

First Grade
It certainly had no impact on the result but at the 55th minute mark I think Hayne started our 20m restart from tackle 1. Can anyone confirm?

Dutchy

Immortal
Don't know how every official missed the drop ball rather than a play the ball leading into Souths second try. Justice was served in the end though :)

TheDalek079

Bench
what was up with the video ref call for Cordner's try? Ref sent up upstairs, thinking it was a try. The ball was obscured so we could not see whether or not it has been grounded or held up. IMO that is insufficient evidence to overturn the onfield call. Yet they overturn it. Why?