What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee talk 2013

Spot On

Coach
If Suttor and Sutton receive appointments after tonight's debacle, then Anderson must resign or be sacked for the good of the game.

There is no doubt that Daniel Anderson has done a marvellous job with the referring standards this year. Hats off to him. A wonderful job. Thought the obstruction rulings were spot on tonight as well. Excellent all round performance.

El Diablo

Post Whore
That wasn't f**king forward! Robbed already!

Where's the penalty for the spear tackle by Uate?

Are you f**king serious? That wasn't a f**king obstruction you f**king clown! Who the f**k was f**king obstructed? There wasn't even any f**king contact!

f**k you ref you f**king merkin

Try to Brett Suttor of the Newcastle Knights

There was nothing wrong with that Ferguson try. Nothing! Not a f**king thing! This is so much f**king bullshit.

And then the Knights go in off a massive forward pass.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Nobody was obstructed, nobody contacted anyone.

It was a f**king travesty.

Huh? Didn't realise they could use the video ref for that.

Who was obstructed?

What about the f**king high tackle on Croker? For f**ks sake!

How the f**k was that not a f**king shoulder charge!

f**king hell these refs are doing everything in their power to get the Knights home

Try to Gerard Sutton of the Knights

It was against the Raiders so its play on.

This is a f**king stitch up. They're making it so f**king obvious.

That hit by Uate gets worse every time you see it.

Great. Potentially broken wrist for Wighton for Uate's thuggery and not even a penalty.

Looks like Suttor and Sutton will get their boys home. What a f**king disgusting refereeing performance this has been.

f**k you Suttor you merkin

:lol: knights have been offside every f**king tackle. Suttor can go drown in a vat of acid

Man of the Match: Brett Suttor & Gerard Sutton (Newcastle Knights) (joint winners)

Completely strangled the Raiders out of the game with a string of f**king abominable decisions in favour of the Knights.

No, the refs made sure we had no chance. What an absolute f**king disgrace.

dogslife

Coach
I think the standard of refereeing has improved under Anderson. That said, the obstruction rule is an absolute clusterf**k, and the refs have zero consistency on enforcing the shoulder charge rule (whatever it is)

Should be renamed the deluded Skeepe blame the ref sook thread.

In fact that can just be the sub-title. The full title should be:

Yes Canberra lost again: the deluded Skeep blame the ref sook thread

Rod

Bench
Can anyone figure out what was wrong with Fergusons try in the first half? This ridiculous obstruction rule has the referees very, very confused.

Fwiw we lost that game and whilst the refs were bad, we lost us that game so can we try not turn this into something its not. This obstruction rule has got to be sorted

Whoever it was who threw the final pass (McCrone?) ran behind the decoy runner. As soon as he does this it's an immediate penalty and always has been.

Nothing really to do with the controversial obstruction rulings from this year.

Hanscholo

Bench
So of the decisions in the raiders knights game tonight were so incredibly soft. The one where buderus got done for having his hand on the ball????? I am shaking me head. He tackled the bloke, and got penalised for his hand brushing the RL football, i mean wtf is going on?

That rule has to go, there is nothing in the rule book that says you canT touch the bloody ball FFS!

no name

Coach
It has been made quite clear that hands on the ball is a no no this year.

“Something that was heavily noted on Wednesday by Daniel was hands on the ball in the play the ball,” said Furner
“The referees are all for controlling the tackle and getting the runner down on the ground but when
they’re asked to release there is to be no hand on the ball type movement. It relates to taking away those opportunities to slow the ruck down as every team wants to slow the ruck down and obviously get there defensive lines set.
http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/NRL-referees-attend-Raiders-opposed-session/67434

skeepe

Immortal
So of the decisions in the raiders knights game tonight were so incredibly soft. The one where buderus got done for having his hand on the ball????? I am shaking me head. He tackled the bloke, and got penalised for his hand brushing the RL football, i mean wtf is going on?

That rule has to go, there is nothing in the rule book that says you canT touch the bloody ball FFS!

Any comment on Buderus apparently being exempt from the shoulder charge law, or Uate being able to tackle players in the air?

mave

Coach
How Buderus wasn't penalized is beyond me.
Seems to be ok for some blokes to use the shoulder (as long as your name isn't Richie or Anthony)

The only thing the refs are consistent with, is the lack of consistency.

Meth

Staff member
I don't think the Raiders were robbed. The Knights outplayed them in the second half. But the refereeing was abysmal and did the Raiders no favors. I can understand why Raiders' fans would be upset

skeepe

Immortal
I don't think the Raiders were robbed. The Knights outplayed them in the second half. But the refereeing was abysmal and did the Raiders no favors. I can understand why Raiders' fans would be upset

We're mentally weak, have been for years. As soon as things start going against us we seem to think we can't win and just give up.

That shouldn't take anything away from how disgusting those decisions were.

Meth

Staff member
We're mentally weak, have been for years. As soon as things start going against us we seem to think we can't win and just give up.

That shouldn't take anything away from how disgusting those decisions were.

I know the feeling...

Haffa

The shoulder charge should have been a penalty if they're being consistent. There wasn't much in it penalty was suffice. Ferguson played it up.

Not sure on the Uate one. Refs obviously thought he was going for the ball. They've been inconsistent with those all year.

Didn't change the fact Canberra crumbled.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So going off skeepes rant te refs had a decent game tonight then. (Didn't see the game)

They were pretty poor but the raiders are easily the most mentally weak team in the comp.

There were two fairly clear acts of foul play by the knights that went unpenalised. There was an absolutely blatant shoulder charge by buderus that was let go. Now I think it was very similar to a shoulder charge done by tom learoyd Lahrs in round 1 where it was less of an on purpose thing and more of a braced for contact thing but tll was penalised and put on report. So the refs have no idea how they want to police this law.

The uate one he quite clearly took wighton out in the air. As I said in the game day thread that one is by far the worst because it broke wightons wrist and they scored straight after it.

Just because skeepe blows up doesn't mean we should excuse bad refs.

Canard

Immortal
They were pretty poor but the raiders are easily the most mentally weak team in the comp.

There were two fairly clear acts of foul play by the knights that went unpenalised. There was an absolutely blatant shoulder charge by buderus that was let go. Now I think it was very similar to a shoulder charge done by tom learoyd Lahrs in round 1 where it was less of an on purpose thing and more of a braced for contact thing but tll was penalised and put on report. So the refs have no idea how they want to police this law.

The uate one he quite clearly took wighton out in the air. As I said in the game day thread that one is by far the worst because it broke wightons wrist and they scored straight after it.

Just because skeepe blows up doesn't mean we should excuse bad refs.

I rate the Cowboys as weaker, especially based on talent.

Im suprised Wighton wasn't penalised for initiating contact whilst in mid air.

Dogs Of War

Coach
All video refereeing decisions may be made from a bunker in Sydney under a proposal for the NRL to adopt American ice hockey's ''War Room'' to review tries and on-field incidents.
NRL football operations manager Nathan McGuirk and referees boss Daniel Anderson plan to visit North America at the end of the season to investigate the feasibility of setting up a video review centre away from stadiums.
''We presented it to the CEO and the management of the NRL in February and it is a possibility,'' Anderson said.
''The aim at the end of the year is that Nathan and myself go over there and have a look at how the NFL's officials operate and also the 'War Room' to see if it is plausible in the NRL and what the cost is.
Advertisement
''Obviously if we are in a room in Sydney and there is a game in Townsville, we would need to be able to talk to the referees and the television director.''
Under the NHL model, officials review every goal scored in the competition live on high-definition television monitors in a 12-metre by six-metre room in Toronto, Canada. Often, they are reviewing more than one game at the same time.
''It is complicated and a little bit exciting but we have to look at what is best for the game,'' Anderson said. ''It could be a benefit for the game if takes away the emotion of the video referee at the ground.''
The concept would allow the NRL to use a handful of match officials to adjudicate on all games and Anderson has been working to get more former players involved in decision-making roles.
''If I only have select people as video referees over the whole weekend then I am going to get a consistency in the decisions,'' he said.
Former players Luke Patten, Justin Morgan and Matthew Rodwell last weekend completed refereeing courses that will enable them to be video referees.
Anderson also has former players Paul Mellor, Henry Perenara, Luke Phillips and Reece Williams at his disposal.
Mellor has been a video referee on 30 occasions so far, while Perenara has been in charge for two matches and Phillips made his debut in last Saturday night's clash between St George Illawarra and Cronulla.
''We have allowed very little discretion in the video referees' box so far because of the number of people making decisions,'' Anderson said. ''But if we can fast-track those blokes it may help our decision-making process, especially on the football component.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-decisions-20130401-2h359.html#ixzz2PFOc9rd9

Great idea. Really means that they can have 4-5 video review officials in one room, and apply consistent rulings given they do all the games. Hopefully they can have it up and running for next season.