What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocation.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Winning is the key to putting bums on seats. Losing sees them go elsewhere. People want to feel good, not lousy.

That's exactly right Pop

Did anyone watch the Rooster and the Dragons game yesterday? Phuquing Dragons fans are crawling out from under rocks left, right and centre now that they are having a few wins. 28,000 people there yesterday with the Roosters going like busted arses and with a fan base of about 4,000 when they are going well.

Winning matters.

spider

Coach
i dont think winning matters tbh

winning puts bums on seasts - it didnt for us

where did we finish last year? and what was our average crowd?

thats proof right there

that saying is a double edged sword

i dont think winning matters tbh

winning puts bums on seasts - it didnt for us

where did we finish last year? and what was our average crowd?

thats proof right there

that saying is a double edged sword

I think fans are jacked of three things mainly.

The teams annual crumbling like a deck of cards when it matters most.

And

Sharks managements continual stuff ups in player retention in the past 10years.

And

A lack of tries in games.
Even the ones we have scored in the past few years have mostly been less than spectacular.

So people sit at home watching the game on T.V where they can turn the sh!t off when it gets beyond watchable and not have any of the predictable match day inconvenience which is a list as long as your arm.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think fans are jacked of three things mainly.

The teams annual crumbling like a deck of cards when it matters most.

And

Sharks managements continual stuff ups in player retention in the past 10years.

And

A lack of tries in games.
Even the ones we have scored in the past few years have mostly been less than spectacular.

So people sit at home watching the game on T.V where they can turn the sh!t off when it gets beyond watchable and not have any of the predictable match day inconvenience which is a list as long as your arm.

To wit,

Basic Foxtel with My Sport package - $56 a month. Equates to $14.00 a week for ALL NRL games.

or

Go watch the Sharks lose and be lucky to get out of it for $200 a week if you take the family

The Popper

Bench
I repeat - winning puts bums on seats.
Not one win, not a couple of wins but when wins keep coming so do the people. DS is right. Possibly one thing against our mob - fans have seen us crumble time and time again when we've looked promising coming into the end of season games.
Having been a student of the game for almost 60 years I have come to a very vital conclusion:
people like to feel good about themselves i.e. have a high self-esteem. Self-esteem is heightened if a person can relate to success. A winning football team is success. Consequently, to relate more closely with this success people will turn up at games in club colours so that they may identify more readily with the successful team and the consequent reflection of that success onto their own lives.

No charge for the psychology session, folks. Dr.Popper is always happy to help his friends (fellow Sharks masochists). :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Last edited:

spider

Coach
how do you explain our crowds last year pop considering we finished equal first?

our crowds were terrible

we follow a winter sport so we cant use weather as an excuse

Frenzy.

Immortal
how do you explain our crowds last year pop considering we finished equal first?

our crowds were terrible

Same reasons DS noted I'd say. Sharks fans are a fickle bunch. I think the damage done over the previous 5-6 years was too much to see people come back in droves straight away.

Once you lose customers it takes a long time to get them back no matter what specials you put on.

The Popper

Bench
Same reasons DS noted I'd say. Sharks fans are a fickle bunch. I think the damage done over the previous 5-6 years was too much to see people come back in droves straight away.

Once you lose customers it takes a long time to get them back no matter what specials you put on.

Spot on, Frenzy. I thought I explained that....about one swallow not making a summer. People have to see and believe. Unfortunately, we Sharks supporters have been fed false hope on so many occasions that some have fallen by the wayside.
Another thing I learned in my years. There are two sorts of fans `fair weather fans' and `fair dinkum fans'. I believe we forumites are the latter, and can always be counted on by the club. It's the former they need to attract to fill the coffers. These are the ones to whom the `success' adage must particularly relate.
Once again....no charge to friends and fellow sufferers. :crazy:

Ok number one the bills will never relocate and the nfl has no place in putting a team in canada.
On the sharks unless the crowds improve the board will have no choice but to consider atleast playing some home games elsewhere which is a good source of revenue not sure about long term viability in the shire, How are the plans on developing the land coming along and what chance is there of it going ahead?

The NFL wants a team in Canada, there is a absolute ton of money in Toronto, ready to jump on board, stadium is there, infrastucture as well, what is holding it back is deal with CFL, fear it will fold as Toronto is the financial strength.

Toronto will get there franchise, and it wil be the Bills

SirShire

First Grade

our crowds were terrible

Lousy game day experience.

Less/no curtain raisers.

Goon security.

Terrible halftime entertainment. There is only so much one can take of dancing 6 year olds/the U/8 Kurnell Stingrays v Yarrawarrah Tigers clashing.

Interestingly, I see at University that UOW usually put on a relatively big name current band each week. Sneaky Sound System, Eskimo Joe, Butterfly Effect, countless others. Sharks could not throw them a few G to belt out a few hits pre game/half time?

There is winning, and there is entertaining. Last year was as boring as bat sh*t. The Raiders, for instance, lost more games than us but were a far more entertaining team to watch. Win or lose, Sharks somehow make you cry and almost have a heart attack in the process. I'd agree that the Barrett/Toops acquisitions were an attempt to rectify this.

But overall, the game day experience is as bad as they come. Watching your team should be the primary motive for attending any game, but unfortunately around here, and probably in the comp as a whole aside from Cowboys, Titans and Broncos, it isn't enough to secure the fans. More needs to be offered. A little investment for a noticeable return. Realistically, we shouldn't care if people come to watch the football or not. As long as they come.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
Lousy game day experience.

Less/no curtain raisers.

Goon security.

Terrible halftime entertainment. There is only so much one can take of dancing 6 year olds/the U/8 Kurnell Stingrays v Yarrawarrah Tigers clashing.

Interestingly, I see at University that UOW usually put on a relatively big name current band each week. Sneaky Sound System, Eskimo Joe, Butterfly Effect, countless others. Sharks could not throw them a few G to belt out a few hits pre game/half time?

There is winning, and there is entertaining. Last year was as boring as bat sh*t. The Raiders, for instance, lost more games than us but were a far more entertaining team to watch. Win or lose, Sharks somehow make you cry and almost have a heart attack in the process. I'd agree that the Barrett/Toops acquisitions were an attempt to rectify this.

But overall, the game day experience is as bad as they come. Watching your team should be the primary motive for attending any game, but unfortunately around here, and probably in the comp as a whole aside from Cowboys, Titans and Broncos, it isn't enough to secure the fans. More needs to be offered. A little investment for a noticeable return. Realistically, we shouldn't care if people come to watch the football or not. As long as they come.
you just confirmed my point - winning DOES NOT put bums on seats ;-)

SirShire

First Grade
It would help, probably not on a huge scale, crowds may potentially go up over 10k. It just highlights how little has/is being done by the powers that be. People want more bang for their buck and at a rough average of $50 a head for your typical ticket purchasing, 4 cup drinking, pie eating adult fan the value simply isn't there.

Comments about Sharks using marketing devised in the glory days of the late 90s seem spot on. In this climate it is hard to believe that we aren't offering more reasons for people's patronage.

Latest posts