What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
That a personal photo of yours mate?

I note the rounded edges on the photo, a hallmark of the good old days of photo albums - another childhood reminder.

No but I wish it was , I found it on line but I remember the promotions for The Towering Inferno with the fire trucks out the front of the Plaza Theatre on George St. Saw it at that theatre a few times as it ran for 45 weeks. Did have a huge poster of the movie and quite a few of the smaller daybill poster when the movie came out, that was when Roadshow gave away lots of promotional material, don't know what happened to them, I have my suspicions that my mother threw them out :neutral_face:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yes a lot of the promo posters and materials would be worth a bit now. Yes I know what you mean walking around video stores picking movies to watch or going on the guy behind the counter recommendations .
I remember when I was growing up the two blockbuster movies that held my attention were The Towering Inferno and Earthquake, I wanted as much material about both of those movies as possible, Roadshow were so generous with The Towering Inferno, even had the press releases for it from them but the distributors of Earthquake weren't as generous, they were giving away nothing, I remember when Earthquake was re released at the Ascot theatre in the city and I went in to see it on the last night, they had all the lobby cards sitting there and not secured so could have easily taken a couple but my conscience got the better of me.
Still rate The Towering Inferno as my favourite movie of all time but Earthquake hasn't fared as well but it is a still a guilty pleasure to watch every now and then, especially on blu ray

axl rose

Bench
I use to love my local Video Ezy when they gave away the replaced promo posters. Late 89-91 era...

Use to love walking around for an hour deciding on Die Hard or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Cocktail and Cocoon The Return :joy::joy::joy:
Good one. My country town was so backward we didn't have any fancy Video Ezy just a dodgy place called Rainbow Video. 1 weekly each (would usually decide between Weekend at Bernies or Honey I Shrunk the Kids..again) between myself and my sister but Dad only allowed one overnight rent. Quite a conundrum with only the back of the VHS to go on.

$2 charge for not rewinding on return?!

tenor.gif

I use to love my local Video Ezy when they gave away the replaced promo posters. Late 89-91 era...

Use to love walking around for an hour deciding on Die Hard or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Cocktail and Cocoon The Return :joy::joy::joy:

In the shire we had “Video Bug”. First one that I remember opening was in Gymea. Would be mid-80’s.

And yes full of those classic movies quoted (And Vale Brian Dennehy coincidentally, passing away overnight). I’d try and con mum Into letting me watch Cheech and Chong films but she was having none of it, but I wore her down eventually.

@axl rose - Rainbow Video. Brilliant. What was the logo .. rainbows coming out of a VCR?

Video Bug was a bugs face, wearing glasses that were shaped like TV screens.

axl rose

Bench
In the shire we had “Video Bug”. First one that I remember opening was in Gymea. Would be mid-80’s.

And yes full of those classic movies quoted (And Vale Brian Dennehy coincidentally, passing away overnight). I’d try and con mum Into letting me watch Cheech and Chong films but she was having none of it, but I wore her down eventually.

@axl rose - Rainbow Video. Brilliant. What was the logo .. rainbows coming out of a VCR?

Video Bug was a bugs face, wearing glasses that were shaped like TV screens.

Remember watching To Catch A Killer when i was around 10. Dennehy always scared the hell out of me after that.

I remember a Care Bear shooting out a VHS Rainbow logo. Not much regard for copyright out in the sticks.

hah I want a photo of that bug.

Last edited:
I remember a Care Bear shooting out a VHS Rainbow logo. Not much regard for copyright out in the sticks.

hah I want a photo of that bug.

mate I want a photo too. For the life of me I’ve searched on line everywhere but nothing found. They were the first of the video rental places that popped up in my area. Need other Shire folk here who may remember to help the quest.

1984 I lived in Wagga Wagga. There were two video shops. One was VIDEO 2000 and I seem to remember their logo being Darth Vader's head LOL.

Rewinding tapes...dad bought a fancy rewinder machine to save the VCR heads.

And I always loved previews and trailers on the rental tape. A half dozen movies before and after your movie that were a thousand times more interesting than the movie you got.

Weekend At Bernies...I saw that at the movies lol. Great film. Andrew McCarthy was a god in our house. Still is.

1984 I lived in Wagga Wagga. There were two video shops. One was VIDEO 2000 and I seem to remember their logo being Darth Vader's head LOL.

Rewinding tapes...dad bought a fancy rewinder machine to save the VCR heads.

And I always loved previews and trailers on the rental tape. A half dozen movies before and after your movie that were a thousand times more interesting than the movie you got.

Weekend At Bernies...I saw that at the movies lol. Great film. Andrew McCarthy was a god in our house. Still is.

Rewinder machine ?!?! Never knew such things existed.

Rewinder machine ?!?! Never knew such things existed.

My dad is an early adopter and loves his technology.

The rewinder did exactly as it said. Pop in tape and rewound it.

We had a Betamax and VHS one. Swore blind it saved the heads.

Loved his Betamax too. Argued long in to the 90s it was better quality. Switched to DVD in 1998 and bought a machine (the size of a fridge) for close on $1000. DVDs of which there weren't many cost $45-$50 a pop.

For ages we had 2-3 titles and that was it. He swore blind it was the future.

Once he figured how to tape stuff off tv on to a PC, it all got put in a skip grrrrr.