What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
My dad is an early adopter and loves his technology.

The rewinder did exactly as it said. Pop in tape and rewound it.

We had a Betamax and VHS one. Swore blind it saved the heads.

Loved his Betamax too. Argued long in to the 90s it was better quality. Switched to DVD in 1998 and bought a machine (the size of a fridge) for close on $1000. DVDs of which there weren't many cost $45-$50 a pop.

For ages we had 2-3 titles and that was it. He swore blind it was the future.

Once he figured how to tape stuff off tv on to a PC, it all got put in a skip grrrrr.

Do you remember even before DVDs there were the laser disc players, the machines were huge and the discs were the size of a vinyl album. My first DVD player cost just under $1,000 and had it multi zoned, bought it at NAPF electronics at Summer Hill, it came with a free movie which they only had Shine or Priscilla, I took Priscilla. Had a friend who sent me 3 discs from the states , Whatever Happened To Baby Jane and Dark Victory which were both Bette Davis movies and Airport 77. As with all new technology the prices came down not long afterwards and was basically superseded.

horrie hastings

First Grade
all the great depots are there Kingsgrove, Burwood, Tempe and even waverly

Yep, I live not to far from from Tempe depot and the 422 is ( or was ) my bus route into the city, unfortunately that route has been watered right down and only goes to the Railway and is now diverted past RPA hospital. Used to love going down there also when they had the bus and truck museum there but it had to move so Tempe could accommodate the big red buses, luckily the museum found a home at Leichhardt depot after that and is a great place visit and they still do the double decker rides( that was till all the current restrictions came in )

Yep, I live not to far from from Tempe depot and the 422 is ( or was ) my bus route into the city, unfortunately that route has been watered right down and only goes to the Railway and is now diverted past RPA hospital. Used to love going down there also when they had the bus and truck museum there but it had to move so Tempe could accommodate the big red buses, luckily the museum found a home at Leichhardt depot after that and is a great place visit and they still do the double decker rides( that was till all the current restrictions came in )
Both worked at those depots.. always loved Tempe and going to the pub for lunch... good old red volgren bendys hard to park on the pits though. Marc 2 Mercedes where my all time favorite with the old shift gear

horrie hastings

First Grade
Both worked at those depots.. always loved Tempe and going to the pub for lunch... good old red volgren bendys hard to park on the pits though. Marc 2 Mercedes where my all time favorite with the old shift gear

Had a lively discussion with my brother in law a few years ago, he lives on Bronte Rd at Waverley and was upset when they merged the 378 route with the 440 route to Rozelle, he said how could they do that to such an iconic route as the 378, I Just said him FFS , the 378 iconic, you wouldn't even remember when Bronte had the 379 that ran into the city and the Quay before the Eastern Suburbs Railway opened , after the opening of the railway Bondi Beach kept the 380 to the Quay and lost the 381 to Central and Bronte lost the 379 to the Quay but kept the 378 to Central. It's funny how both the 381 and 379 numbers have been used again more recently for different routes.
The other bus I remember when growing up in Paddington was the 360 which ran from Central to North Bondi, it came up Oxford st then went into Flinders st then up Moore Park then crossed over into Woolahra and then come out at the Nelson Hotel, used to love catching this bus to Bondi Jct instead of walking up the hill to Oxford st for the other buses, there was a frangapani just inside a fence near the Barracks on Moore Park at the bus stop and I used to love the smell from the flowers there, glad to say the frangapani is still there and still flowers even though the bus stop and the route is long gone , the 333 also used to run along the same route to Bondi Jct and then onto South Head Cemetery, it's funny how both those numbers have been re used again for different routes.

Do you remember even before DVDs there were the laser disc players, the machines were huge and the discs were the size of a vinyl album. My first DVD player cost just under $1,000 and had it multi zoned, bought it at NAPF electronics at Summer Hill, it came with a free movie which they only had Shine or Priscilla, I took Priscilla. Had a friend who sent me 3 discs from the states , Whatever Happened To Baby Jane and Dark Victory which were both Bette Davis movies and Airport 77. As with all new technology the prices came down not long afterwards and was basically superseded.

Ive been trying to get Airplane 77 on DVD. I remember the cover /poster. Was a good film too.

Generalzod

Immortal
I remember buying the first Panasonic A300 DVD player in 1997 I bought it from the hifi guys at Mascot for around $1000, my first DVD was terminator 2...

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ive been trying to get Airplane 77 on DVD. I remember the cover /poster. Was a good film too.

The copy from the states was terrible, it was on the Goodtimes label, mind you it didn't look to bad on the TV at the time back then but obviously once TVs started to get better, the quality was horrible, that copy of mine went to one of the local OP shops a few years ago. I picked up a copy of Airport 77 from JB HI FI about 5 years ago for $5, lot better than the first DVD copy i owned. there was also a 4 pack of all the Airport movies going around at some time called the Terminal pack, Airport , Airport 75, Airport 77 and Airport 79 The Concorde.
I rate the original Airport, i still find it gripping to watch, Airport 77 is good, Airport 75 is more like a made for TV movie and you can see where the idea for Airplane came from, The Concorde is just so bad.
Another tidbit from Airport 77 is that you get to see one of the very first laser disc players, complete with album sized disc. Also good to see Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotten together again after Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, George Kennedy also had a small part in Hush.

Last edited:
Had a lively discussion with my brother in law a few years ago, he lives on Bronte Rd at Waverley and was upset when they merged the 378 route with the 440 route to Rozelle, he said how could they do that to such an iconic route as the 378, I Just said him FFS , the 378 iconic, you wouldn't even remember when Bronte had the 379 that ran into the city and the Quay before the Eastern Suburbs Railway opened , after the opening of the railway Bondi Beach kept the 380 to the Quay and lost the 381 to Central and Bronte lost the 379 to the Quay but kept the 378 to Central. It's funny how both the 381 and 379 numbers have been used again more recently for different routes.
The other bus I remember when growing up in Paddington was the 360 which ran from Central to North Bondi, it came up Oxford st then went into Flinders st then up Moore Park then crossed over into Woolahra and then come out at the Nelson Hotel, used to love catching this bus to Bondi Jct instead of walking up the hill to Oxford st for the other buses, there was a frangapani just inside a fence near the Barracks on Moore Park at the bus stop and I used to love the smell from the flowers there, glad to say the frangapani is still there and still flowers even though the bus stop and the route is long gone , the 333 also used to run along the same route to Bondi Jct and then onto South Head Cemetery, it's funny how both those numbers have been re used again for different routes.
the Nelson Hotel or the "Nello: for short was a hive of drunk buses maintenance and buses drivers

The copy from the states was terrible, it was on the Goodtimes label, mind you it didn't look to bad on the TV at the time back then but obviously once TVs started to get better, the quality was horrible, that copy of mine went to one of the local OP shops a few years ago. I picked up a copy of Airport 77 from JB HI FI about 5 years ago for $5, lot better than the first DVD copy i owned. there was also a 4 pack of all the Airport movies going around at some time called the Terminal pack, Airport , Airport 75, Airport 77 and airport 70 The Concorde.
I rate the original Airport, i still find it gripping to watch, Airport 77 is good, Airport 75 is more like a made for TV movie and you can see where the idea for Airplane came from, The Concorde is just so bad.
Another tidbit from Airport 77 is that you get to see one of the very first laser disc players, complete with album sized disc. Also good to see Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotten together again after Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, George Kennedy also had a small part in Hush.

This was the video cover we had...

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.39.46 am.png

We went through a stage around 1987/88 of watching all these disaster movies (I guess you'd call it binging). Some we'd seen over the years but included...

Airplane 75 and 77
Towering Inferno
Poseidon Adventure
Earthquake
The Night The Bridge Fell Down
When Time Ran Out
Starflight One
City On Fire

There are others I can't remember, but we did a whole run of them. It was funny, over Xmas holidays, my kids did the modern ones - Dante's Peak, Daylight, Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, San Andreas, Day After Tomorrow... they were obsessed.

horrie hastings

First Grade
This was the video cover we had...

View attachment 37676

We went through a stage around 1987/88 of watching all these disaster movies (I guess you'd call it binging). Some we'd seen over the years but included...

Airplane 75 and 77
Towering Inferno
Poseidon Adventure
Earthquake
The Night The Bridge Fell Down
When Time Ran Out
Starflight One
City On Fire

There are others I can't remember, but we did a whole run of them. It was funny, over Xmas holidays, my kids did the modern ones - Dante's Peak, Daylight, Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, San Andreas, Day After Tomorrow... they were obsessed.

Often threaten to watch The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno in one sitting then do the first three Airport movies in another sitting.
Never really got into the others one that came out after and was surprised how the production values of Irwin Allen in his last 3 films went downhill after The Towering Inferno despite having great casts, they were The Swarm, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure and When Time Ran Out, i was surprised that Paul Newman actually signed on for When Time Ran Out.

Another one i saw at the movies and sometimes catch when its on TV is Meteor , it had Sean Connery, Natalie Wood, Karl Malden ,Brian Keith and Marin Landau, corny as hell but i enjoy watching it once in a while,

Have Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, The Day After Tomorrow and San Andreas on DVD , love Kylie Minogue's cameo in San Andreas lol.