What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
WoW, 49 years down the track I've learnt something today, back in 1971 my older brother had the Lally Stott version on a K-Tel compilation album and for some reason I always assumed that Lally was from the US and Middle of The Road covered this for the UK version, what a funny clip, Lally barely lip synching and all the dreary old people on a dreary old Pommy day.

Its funny just looking at the track listing i have 11 songs on my ipod

label_a.jpg label_b.jpg

Generalzod

Immortal
Bring back cracker night, most stupidest thing we did as teenagers we had left over crackers so we decided to make a copper bomb so all ten of us went down to Sylvania Waters near the athletics field found an old council bin the copper bomb was placed we lit the fuse and started to run nothing happened just as we where heading back to the bin the bin just took of like the space shuttle nearly hitting those massive powerlines, I will always remember that day.

Bring back cracker night, most stupidest thing we did as teenagers we had left over crackers so we decided to make a copper bomb so all ten of us went down to Sylvania Waters near the athletics field found an old council bin the copper bomb was placed we lit the fuse and started to run nothing happened just as we where heading back to the bin the bin just took of like the space shuttle nearly hitting those massive powerlines, I will always remember that day.

upload_2020-6-17_8-10-57.jpeg

Who had one of these?

images

YoHadrian

Juniors

I'm amazing I survived my childhood with my vision & limbs in tact with the insane stuff we used to do to each other.

* Pipe attached to the end of firecrackers which we pointed at each other.
* 1cent copper bombs thrown into public toilets blowing off doors.
* Throwdowns glued to cricket bats which we swung at each other
* After throwing a dozen bungers into a backyard of a person we really didn't like & leaving a dozen holes about a foot deep & laughing so hard I fell face first onto concrete breaking my nose & splitting my head open.
* Letterboxes, putting greens, front lawns, backyards destroyed beyond recognition most years.

Zadar

Juniors

my good friend was one of the best suppliers of all the illegal crackers back in the day, at my wedding he had about two hundred bungers that he handed out among guests, at one stage the club looked like an 80s smoke machine night club, there were carpet burns that we luckily didn’t have to pay for, because they were refurbishing the club in a couple months.

he also blew up one of the kids toy dolls and as a finale, put a cracker in his own mouth and lit it, cut his lips as his wife dragged him off the dance floor, all on video too.

used to love cracker night, Roman candle wars, I could go on and on, was it stupid? obviously, was it fun? You bet.

haha, was actually contemplating getting one for my first car, a second hand hazel green camira. Yes I actually was worried that somebody would steal it one day:grin:, I never actually bought the device.

Hazel Green Camira! What a weapon!

Ex Council car was it? Remember the Shire had a fleet of em and a Uni mate of mine had bought one second-hand, a wagon.

Yep funny that they usually were on cars that not even a blind bloke would want to be seen in..

My Dad bought me a similar one when I bought my first car. I still have it somewhere. I never use it anymore (how effective were they, really?) but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

Similar to me mate. My old man had a panel beating business in Kirrawee, near all the car yards and he knew all the business manager & owners. Anyway unbeknownst to me as a 16 year old - he picked up a trade-in from Sutherland Mitsubishi - did a load of body work on, interiors and everything..

He then drove it home one day - parked out the front. It was a Mitsubishi Sigma - stationwagon. Beige (like the bottom pic).

With a big fat red club-lock.

Loved that car....

mitsubishi_sigma_wagon.jpg

440px-3rd_generation_Mitsubishi_Galant_Super_Estate_rear.jpg

Zadar

Juniors
Similar to me mate. My old man had a panel beating business in Kirrawee, near all the car yards and he knew all the business manager & owners. Anyway unbeknownst to me as a 16 year old - he picked up a trade-in from Sutherland Mitsubishi - did a load of body work on, interiors and everything..

He then drove it home one day - parked out the front. It was a Mitsubishi Sigma - stationwagon. Beige (like the bottom pic).

With a big fat red club-lock.

Loved that car....

mitsubishi_sigma_wagon.jpg

440px-3rd_generation_Mitsubishi_Galant_Super_Estate_rear.jpg

I had sigma after my camira, bought it off my cousin for 500 bucks, it was an affluent Version because it was a Chrysler sigma, white fury was it’s nickname.

Had a bullet hole in the left side boot lid, the car dipped when making a right hand turn at roundabouts, and the passenger floor was always wet after heavy rain.

but it got us to a lot of chooks games back in the mid-late 90s from Canberra, and actually hit 180km down the big downhill part of the highway to Sydney.

I had sigma after my camira, bought it off my cousin for 500 bucks, it was an affluent Version because it was a Chrysler sigma, white fury was it’s nickname.

Had a bullet hole in the left side boot lid, the car dipped when making a right hand turn at roundabouts, and the passenger floor was always wet after heavy rain.

but it got us to a lot of chooks games back in the mid-late 90s from Canberra, and actually hit 180km down the big downhill part of the highway to Sydney.

Pheasants Nest bridge??

Always a place to get as much steam as possible out of a machine without fear of coppers.

My Sigma was pretty well balanced although after a few years the roof lining caved in, so I was left with the insulated foam - which every passenger took pleasure in writing / drawing a message in. Was embarrassing when I took out a date one time, who I was very keen on. When driving in the afternoon she went to pull the sun visor down on the front windscreen - to reveal the words "C - - - JUICES" .. Yeah, didn't see much of her after that..

Zadar

Juniors
Pheasants Nest bridge??

Always a place to get as much steam as possible out of a machine without fear of coppers.

My Sigma was pretty well balanced although after a few years the roof lining caved in, so I was left with the insulated foam - which every passenger took pleasure in writing / drawing a message in. Was embarrassing when I took out a date one time, who I was very keen on. When driving in the afternoon she went to pull the sun visor down on the front windscreen - to reveal the words "C - - - JUICES" .. Yeah, didn't see much of her after that..

haha, brilliant!

before my cousin sold it to me he had a new roof lining fitted for the same reason as yours.

yep the pheasants nest one, not sure how it didn’t fall apart, but the quicker white fury travelled, the better it felt, it was a 5 speed manual, and his brother was a mechanic, so it was always in its best condition.

we still laugh about the old sigma every now and then.

haha, brilliant!

before my cousin sold it to me he had a new roof lining fitted for the same reason as yours.

yep the pheasants nest one, not sure how it didn’t fall apart, but the quicker white fury travelled, the better it felt, it was a 5 speed manual, and his brother was a mechanic, so it was always in its best condition.

we still laugh about the old sigma every now and then.

Gotta love a sigma. They were a popular car back in their day, and had a bit about 'em. But sadly they are an absolute rarity these days. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

I traded mine in in the mid-90's for a Bright red Magna Elante. By which time head on the old girls' engine had cracked, blowing more smoke than Bob Marley. Apart from that, and the hood-lining it was in immaculate nick. But I feared it went straight to the scrapyard... At least I have the memories. As you do too.

Anyone remember train detonators?

I lived near Hornsby, so we had the Main Line, North Shore line and Central Coast/Newcastle line meet at Hornsby.

In the early mid 90s, they went through the process of electrifying everything north of Hornsby and removing all the wood sleepers and replacing the tracks on the concrete ones we have now. So there was always night works. You'd hear a lot of the train detonators going off all the time. Sometimes, when we snuck out on to the lines, you'd find the odd unexploded detonator and throw rocks at it to get it to go off with a massive bang.

Anyway, we had a guy at school who found an unexploded detonator. Had one in his hand and it detonated and blew off a couple of fingers and destroyed his hand. Poor prick had to go to schools and do safety messages for State Rail.

Pretty much got careless shrugs and if we still found them, would peg stones at them to get them to go off. Didn't pick them up though.

The other thing you'd do is put a 1c coin on top of a 2c coin and put on tracks. When train ran over it, they would pancake together and we'd have 3c coins. LOL.

And hanging out of Red Rattlers until 1992 when they discontinued their service. Doors chocked open. There was a safety video we had to watch - the kid in it was wearing a Nightmare on Elm Street 4 t-shirt and soundtracked to Run To Paradise by The Choirboys. Only 30cm between trains and not much more to the power line poles. Ahhh...the carefree days.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 11.57.39 am.png

Anyone remember train detonators?

I lived near Hornsby, so we had the Main Line, North Shore line and Central Coast/Newcastle line meet at Hornsby.

In the early mid 90s, they went through the process of electrifying everything north of Hornsby and removing all the wood sleepers and replacing the tracks on the concrete ones we have now. So there was always night works. You'd hear a lot of the train detonators going off all the time. Sometimes, when we snuck out on to the lines, you'd find the odd unexploded detonator and throw rocks at it to get it to go off with a massive bang.

Anyway, we had a guy at school who found an unexploded detonator. Had one in his hand and it detonated and blew off a couple of fingers and destroyed his hand. Poor prick had to go to schools and do safety messages for State Rail.

Pretty much got careless shrugs and if we still found them, would peg stones at them to get them to go off. Didn't pick them up though.

The other thing you'd do is put a 1c coin on top of a 2c coin and put on tracks. When train ran over it, they would pancake together and we'd have 3c coins. LOL.

And hanging out of Red Rattlers until 1992 when they discontinued their service. Doors chocked open. There was a safety video we had to watch - the kid in it was wearing a Nightmare on Elm Street 4 t-shirt and soundtracked to Run To Paradise by The Choirboys. Only 30cm between trains and not much more to the power line poles. Ahhh...the carefree days.

View attachment 39450

Absolutely. I used to catch the train between Helensburgh and Heathcote for school in the 80's and these were always a hit with the kids.

Speaking of things that were kid-killers... anyone ever have these on their bike?

Was there anything more excruciatingly painful than having one of these hit and scrape up your shinbone when taking off and missing the pedal... or when you stacked it....

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Absolutely. I used to catch the train between Helensburgh and Heathcote for school in the 80's and these were always a hit with the kids.

Speaking of things that were kid-killers... anyone ever have these on their bike?

Was there anything more excruciatingly painful than having one of these hit and scrape up your shinbone when taking off and missing the pedal... or when you stacked it....

s-l400.jpg

Still have a scar on my left shin from these. Failed bunny-hop.

Latest posts