What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

myrrh ken

First Grade
I remember when drinking from one of these as a kid (or any other bottled beverage) and seeing the 5 cent refund, I wondered why it was only ever in South Australia? Why not NSW.... or anywhere else...

I live here now, and there are bottle recyclers everywhere... a quick drive up the road with a load to get a refund of $10 or so.. and yet I still wonder why only in South Australia....

For me it’s now as ingrained as going to the shops to buy milk and bread. Drop your bottles off, make money...

You never went to Cash a Can?

25188826_1932631510386810_1099211411247813137_o.jpg

I had fond memories of crushing all the empties on our driveway in imaginative ways. Fave was to stand on the can with one foot then quickly touch both sides so that the can crushed flat. Chucked em in a garbo bag and there would be a bloke at the trailer on the weekend that used to weigh them and give you money.

Now its all automated but the cans and plastic bottles have to be intact. No fun.

Passiona.

What an iconic brand of yesteryear this is to me.

Throughout my life, whenever someone showed anything resembling an inordinate level of affection, the comment would soon be stated - “Passiona’s back”.

Many different inflections on the comment would be made. Humourous accents and what not, but always “Passiona’s back...”

I said it as a joke to my kids when they were having a staring contest just two days ago.

#rona19lyf

10c refund in NSW for a couple of years now. We live near a number of ovals and parkland. Walking to school it’s nothing to find 10-15 pieces. Week nights and Saturdays we collect probably 100 water or Gatorade bottles from a day’s games. Easy to get $20-$25 a week and kids put the $$$ in their Ashes kitty for our trip to Melbourne. Live near a centre where you tip it in all at once and include crushed stuff the machines reject.

In regards to drinks, when Kirks was Shelleys the slogan was ‘if it isn’t a Shelleys, it’s a fizzer!’
We use that phrase a lot my wife and I to compare things. Lol.

I used to love Passiona, Tarex cream Soda. In Asia they had red Fanta soooo delicious.

Parra

Referee
When I was growing up in Paddington back in the late 60s you would get refunds back on your soft drink bottles, you would just take them to the corner shop and get your money back. We lived near the Dunbar Hotel then and there was a brand of Lemonade they sold called Blue Bow, you couldn't refunds on those and of course we would find plenty of those being so close to the pub.

We could in the 80's as well. Only for 750ml coke bottles - those greenish ones, thick glass. Was a bit of an industry for kids to lift a couple from the lane at the rear of the milkbar and cash them in for lollies at the counter. Wonder how many times the same bottle was converted before the glass man or coke man picked them up

Generalzod

Immortal
10c refund in NSW for a couple of years now. We live near a number of ovals and parkland. Walking to school it’s nothing to find 10-15 pieces. Week nights and Saturdays we collect probably 100 water or Gatorade bottles from a day’s games. Easy to get $20-$25 a week and kids put the $$$ in their Ashes kitty for our trip to Melbourne. Live near a centre where you tip it in all at once and include crushed stuff the machines reject.

In regards to drinks, when Kirks was Shelleys the slogan was ‘if it isn’t a Shelleys, it’s a fizzer!’
We use that phrase a lot my wife and I to compare things. Lol.

I used to love Passiona, Tarex cream Soda. In Asia they had red Fanta soooo delicious.
Remember Crystal drinks used to delivered drinks to your home..

horrie hastings

First Grade
We could in the 80's as well. Only for 750ml coke bottles - those greenish ones, thick glass. Was a bit of an industry for kids to lift a couple from the lane at the rear of the milkbar and cash them in for lollies at the counter. Wonder how many times the same bottle was converted before the glass man or coke man picked them up

Yep even when we moved to Kingsford from Paddington in the early 70s you could still get money back from the commercial soft drink bottles at the corner shop, just have fond memories of Paddington looking for bottles in the back lanes and where we lived we had three corner shops within 3-4 mins walk from home , nice and simple times.

horrie hastings

First Grade
We lived in Mascot they used to deliver in that area aswell

I remember the three companies delivering in the street at the same time, sometimes the drivers would give us kids a bottle , probably hoping it would shame the parents to ordering some bottles, we had delivery from Osborne’s a few times, used to love the Portobello flavour.

Generalzod

Immortal
Oh the memories drinks milk bread all delivered to your door people used to leave the money outside and it was never stolen lol

Latest posts