What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
7751176-3x2-xlarge.jpg

And it was warm

horrie hastings

First Grade
My favourite Souths player

I remember watching Rocky Laurie being at the Roosters and in 1977 I thought he was going to be a very good player, he went to Souths in 1978 to 1980 before switching back to Easts in 1981. In 1978 both games he carved up East, a close game at Redfern then the game at The Sports Ground, Russell Fairfax played 5/8 for Easts and Rocky Laurie and Garry Wright ran through him lots of time leaving him grasping at thin air, close game again but Souths were by far the better side that day. Another thing I remember was the try Rocky scored for Souths against Saints in the first semi in 1980 where he got the ball down just inside the corner post.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I remember watching Rocky Laurie being at the Roosters and in 1977 I thought he was going to be a very good player, he went to Souths in 1978 to 1980 before switching back to Easts in 1981. In 1978 both games he carved up East, a close game at Redfern then the game at The Sports Ground, Russell Fairfax played 5/8 for Easts and Rocky Laurie and Garry Wright ran through him lots of time leaving him grasping at thin air, close game again but Souths were by far the better side that day. Another thing I remember was the try Rocky scored for Souths against Saints in the first semi in 1980 where he got the ball down just inside the corner post.
Yeah he went back to Easts and then disappeared. I remember that try against St George though I had to listen to it on the radio. It was the only one we scored in the final. The guy was a pure footballer.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Btw growing up in regional Qld we would get ABCs Match of the Day and then a replay of a Sunday game at 10pm on Tuesday night. I used to sneak out and watch it after my parents went to bed.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah he went back to Easts and then disappeared. I remember that try against St George though I had to listen to it on the radio. It was the only one we scored in the final. The guy was a pure footballer.

I reckon he played his best football at Souths, he had some good games when he went back to Easts in 1981 and 82 but I have fond memories of him playing at Easts in 1977, he was showing a lot then but when he went on to play great football at Souths after that. I do remember him playing some games for Easts in 1976, both him and Kevin Hastings came on to play firsts as reserves both basically unknown then, Hastings played in the centres then until a Artie Beetson threw in at half back about halfway through the 1977 season.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
I reckon he played his best football at Souths, he had some good games when he went back to Easts in 1981 and 82 but I have fond memories of him playing at Easts in 1977, he was showing a lot then but when he went on to play great football at Souths after that. I do remember him playing some games for Easts in 1976, both him and Kevin Hastings came on to play firsts as reserves both basically unknown then, Hastings played in the centres then until a Artie Beetson through in at half back about halfway through the 1977 season.
Yeah I think I remember that from my Big League days Horrie must've been a small centre.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Btw growing up in regional Qld we would get ABCs Match of the Day and then a replay of a Sunday game at 10pm on Tuesday night. I used to sneak out and watch it after my parents went to bed.

For many years ABC would not show the Saturday game live in Sydney , it would show the replay at 6pm and would show club rugby at 3pm, the only thing that a lot of areas of Sydney could pick up the regional ABC station which was 5A so you could watch the league game live still

Mr Spock!

Referee
For many years ABC would not show the Saturday game live in Sydney , it would show the replay at 6pm and would show club rugby at 3pm, the only thing that a lot of areas of Sydney could pick up the regional ABC station which was 5A so you could watch the league game live
Yeah thats right.

Up here the BRL was big too so we used to watch that on a Sunday night.

Latest posts