What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
Either way it wasn't until the QRL knocked on the schools doors and offered to help them start RL programs that they took it up. They weren't repressing the game, they just had no motivation to to be involved in it.
If the NSWRL/NRL has never done this in NSW, and if parents at these schools have never demanded it, then you cant claim repression, any more than Union could claim repression because the working class schools of my old town didn't start schoolboy XV sides. If the RL bodies have offered support and funding and been knocked back then it is a different matter.

That's fair enough. Although what happens in your hometown is relevant to your home town. What happens in this part of the world whereby elite private schools are claiming to be fully inclusive is a different matter. The Brisbane private school development is excellent. Wonder if the NSWRL would be proactive in this regard? It would be certainly welcome as the QLD example is a shining light. The knowledge that other codes have been achieving presence has prompted parents to question "Where is rugby league? " That has definitely helped the "fairness " & inclusivity" charter for sport choice.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Times may have moved on, but political parties that are further removed from the working class will attach themselves to anything working class to appear to have a common bond with them

It's actually a very intriguing topic! The various dimensions and their implications for a sport like rugby league. We have them ranging from cultural, political, religious, educational, social and egalitarian principles of fairness, access and freedom to participate. It's quite a complex scenario. But progressive discourse is definitely well worth it!

Pommy

Coach
That's fair enough. Although what happens in your hometown is relevant to your home town. What happens in this part of the world whereby elite private schools are claiming to be fully inclusive is a different matter. The Brisbane private school development is excellent. Wonder if the NSWRL would be proactive in this regard? It would be certainly welcome as the QLD example is a shining light. The knowledge that other codes have been achieving presence has prompted parents to question "Where is rugby league? " That has definitely helped the "fairness " & inclusivity" charter for sport choice.

Why would you expect anyone in Rugby League to be proactive in anything? We've pretty well established that's not a thing.

Stallion

First Grade
Why would you expect anyone in Rugby League to be proactive in anything? We've pretty well established that's not a thing.

You have an excellently brought up point Pommy! Wishful thinking!? Being positive!? But yes I note a lack of drive and proactivenessee from within rugby-league administrations. Very frustrating at times.

Stallion

First Grade
Either way it wasn't until the QRL knocked on the schools doors and offered to help them start RL programs that they took it up. They weren't repressing the game, they just had no motivation to to be involved in it.
If the NSWRL/NRL has never done this in NSW, and if parents at these schools have never demanded it, then you cant claim repression, any more than Union could claim repression because the working class schools of my old town didn't start schoolboy XV sides. If the RL bodies have offered support and funding and been knocked back then it is a different matter.

I do know of one high profile parent that questioned the "no rugby-league choice as a sport " policy at a Sydney elite high school. Laurie Daley. But looks like no one else in NSW!? Maybe I've missed any such information.?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's actually a very intriguing topic! The various dimensions and their implications for a sport like rugby league. We have them ranging from cultural, political, religious, educational, social and egalitarian principles of fairness, access and freedom to participate. It's quite a complex scenario. But progressive discourse is definitely well worth it!
From the minute Scott Morrison was made he PM he has been flaunting his Rugby League support, despite being a Union toff.

Wearing Sharks hats, sharks stickers on folders blah blah blah. It's blatantly obvious that he is trying to attach himself to a working class sport to try and reel in the working class vote.

The fact that this still happens certainly adds credence to my suggestion.

Stallion

First Grade
From the minute Scott Morrison was made he PM he has been flaunting his Rugby League support, despite being a Union toff.

Wearing Sharks hats, sharks stickers on folders blah blah blah. It's blatantly obvious that he is trying to attach himself to a working class sport to try and reel in the working class vote.

The fact that this still happens certainly adds credence to my suggestion.

Absolutely. And it does have that effect as I'm thinking of voting that way and I never have beforehand! Still undecided though ! Lol

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely. And it does have that effect as I'm thinking of voting that way and I never have beforehand! Still undecided though ! Lol
Did you not see my other links earlier about Labor's commitment to get PNG more involved in Australian RL? Sure if you're keen to the INternational game's growth, then you'll vote Labor.

I don't like major political parties myself and never vote for them

Stallion

First Grade
Did you not see my other links earlier about Labor's commitment to get PNG more involved in Australian RL? Sure if you're keen to the INternational game's growth, then you'll vote Labor.

I don't like major political parties myself and never vote for them

Yes. Like you have stated before the international scene is where the repression of the code is more blatant . So my hunch is that the Pacific Islands are small fry (though just as important ) in the big scheme of things . What's transpIred in other parts of the world,especially the treatment of rugbyleague in South Africa and other places should have an emphasis as well. But yes, I generally stick with Labor on human rights and equity stances however you are right about Morrison and it can swing an undecided voter.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors
Think you missed the player welfare point . By playing rugbybleague (the most physical of all football codes) it should necessarily play senior local games on a Saturday. This gives a day recovery for players for work on Monday. The exodus of players from rugbybleague can be linked to the day of play which can impact work commitments. Remembering if any code deserves a day recovery after playing it's rugbybleague. ( the physically hardest and toughest of the lot )

Can guarantee very few players leave the game because they'll be sore on Monday. Players leave the game because in an 18 week season there is high chance of injury that will cause them to miss work which they cannot afford and most RL governing bodies do not offer enough compensation for missed work for it to be worth it.

Stallion

First Grade
Can guarantee very few players leave the game because they'll be sore on Monday. Players leave the game because in an 18 week season there is high chance of injury that will cause them to miss work which they cannot afford and most RL governing bodies do not offer enough compensation for missed work for it to be worth it.

Players are playing other codes due to such codes playing on a Saturday. This is a major reason for an exodus from rugby league comps that play alot of Sunday games in my opinion. For instance the biggest domestic rugby-league competition in the world plays on Saturdays. LOWER HUNTER RL . This comp is still growing by the way. Conversely the Saturday(outer city clubs-Coalfields) and Sunday(inner city clubs ) playing Newcastle District competition has been getting smaller. (11 clubs to 8 clubs nowadays ) From a once renowned and reveared competition it's almost an embarrassment!
PS: From my time as a player all of us disliked playing Sunday football. I know of players (very good ones) playing in the Saturday playing LHRL instead of copping Sunday games in the District competition.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There are far greater issues at play in the Newcastle District competition than what day they play on.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look I'm sure playing on a Sunday is a factor, but no way can it be the one and only deciding factor.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's being underestimated mate.

More that it's the only suggestion put forward.

Surely there are other factors?

There must have been more than 1 reason to take on Sunday games too, if Saturday matches had been so successful. And to persever with them, despite the negative impact, suggests there are other factors.

Not criticising, more intrigued

Stallion

First Grade
I don't think it's being underestimated mate.

More that it's the only suggestion put forward.

Surely there are other factors?

There must have been more than 1 reason to take on Sunday games too, if Saturday matches had been so successful. And to persever with them, despite the negative impact, suggests there are other factors.

Not criticising, more intrigued

The executive claim more money at the ground. This puzzling as the biggest days for home games at this club has been on Saturdays for the past decade. My mate ( the ex secretary )suspects it is more of a convenience thing for many in the executive. And I agree with him.

Springs09

Juniors
The main reasons for playing on Sundays are it clashes less with work as more people work on Saturdays, junior footy is played on Saturdays and both Union and AFL usually play on Saturdays.

Although a Sunday off after playing on Saturday is nice it is much easier for players like me to play Sundays as I always have Sunday off and so don't have to stuff around with work.

Stallion

First Grade
The main reasons for playing on Sundays are it clashes less with work as more people work on Saturdays, junior footy is played on Saturdays and both Union and AFL usually play on Saturdays.

Although a Sunday off after playing on Saturday is nice it is much easier for players like me to play Sundays as I always have Sunday off and so don't have to stuff around with work.

Lol. More people work on Monday through to Fridays! Still can't do Maths well champ!? Other codes have no issue with the Saturday game day and are benefiting from this big time! Meanwhile rugbyleague players miss out on the best night of the week and a full day of recovery after a game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. More people work on Monday through to Fridays! Still can't do Maths well champ!? Other codes have no issue with the Saturday game day and are benefiting from this big time! Meanwhile rugbyleague players miss out on the best night of the week and a full day of recovery after a game.
Perhaps that is a factor.

Springs09

Juniors

Seriously? More people work on Saturdays than on Sundays. What's Monday to Friday got to do with it?

We don't play on Mondays. Work and footy don't clash on Mondays. Work and footy do clash on Saturdays. The best night of the week is subjective. What about the poor footy players who think Friday night is the best night of the week?

Last edited by a moderator: