What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Research - Moving the Home Ground

Would you be in favour of the Eels Playing out of Telstra Stadium

• Total voters

fish eel

Immortal
I think it is a bit harsh to call DK lazy because of the absence of after match functions, or any real interaction with fans.

Fact is he is media officer and that is a fulltime job. He shouldnt have to be doing the fan relations side of things as well.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I think you are wrong on the laziness, I think there are some other, very real factors that I am alluding to in this thread that are scaring the Bejeesus out of the club.

Well, what you are alluding to, in my view, is that the financial situation of the club might be quite sick, and if that was to be the case, I think there would be serious competency questions a lot of members would have.

Nikki

Coach
I dunno, I still dont think the money excuse for lack of after match functions is correct. I mean compare this decade to say the late 80's early 90's. More so, compare the money being pumped into poker machines. The club was smaller back then, therefore less space for poker machines, yet they could put these function on after EVERY home game.

Now, Im not a rocket scientist or shrewd business woman. But surely, if you put a function on after a game you have familes brining there kids over to meet the players who would otherwise head straight home after a game. There is say $10 - $15 per family spent in the bar up in the auditorium. Now, if Mum or Dad were feeling generous they may opt to have dinner after the function in the Bistro, so there is an extra $30. Or Dad/Mum may get bored with procceeding up in the audi so they go and chuck money in the pokies.

I cant see how puttin on a function that would encourage more ppl to enter our club premises is losing revenue for them. Maybe I have it all back to front, but thats just the way I see it.

Parra Guru

Coach
Exactly right Nix.... there was so much more for the fans even 10 years ago compared to now... Perhaps now that the team is performing better in many aspects, the club doesn't feel that they need to work hard on PR. And that is exactly the reason why we ONLY get a big crowd coming to the games after a string of wins. No one wants to know about the Eels when they aren't winning, because frankly, they are doing nothing else for the public.

Suitman

Post Whore
I may be wrong, but I still believe the players have a say in the after match function thingy.
I mean, when and where do they go for their warm-down sessions?
The Rose and Crown?

Anyway, this is getting off the point.
Can someone else get it back on track?

SAuity

fish eel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Well, what you are alluding to, in my view, is that the financial situation of the club might be quite sick, and if that was to be the case, I think there would be serious competency questions a lot of members would have.

hypothetically of course......i do think the leagues is reasonably well run.

Suity: no need to gt back on track as Mark as said the context for this is that report thingy.

Nikki said:
I dunno, I still dont think the money excuse for lack of after match functions is correct. I mean compare this decade to say the late 80's early 90's. More so, compare the money being pumped into poker machines. The club was smaller back then, therefore less space for poker machines, yet they could put these function on after EVERY home game.

There was something else we have now that didn't exist previously, a State Government Tax that takes about half of the profits we make form Pokies. Now before Fish gets on his High horse that the State needs it and Gambling is exploitation, and that the clubs had agreed to it (they agreed to a cap on it because the didn't want to pay more) I am not talking about the Politics of it, I am just talking about the financial facts.

From what I understand We pay more in that Tax alone that what we spend on the Eels. not counting the other taxes and commitments (wages and other) that we have to pay out of our share of the Pokies, plus there is a top limit on how much per dollar per spin the club can take.

Nikki said:
Now, Im not a rocket scientist or shrewd business woman. But surely, if you put a function on after a game you have familes brining there kids over to meet the players who would otherwise head straight home after a game. There is say $10 - $15 per family spent in the bar up in the auditorium. Now, if Mum or Dad were feeling generous they may opt to have dinner after the function in the Bistro, so there is an extra $30. Or Dad/Mum may get bored with procceeding up in the audi so they go and chuck money in the pokies.

Oh No doubt, and being a club we would get them cheep, so lets say we make a 50% profit from that.

Compare that with the 86% Profit per dollar per spin that we make from the pokies and consider that the "Whales" will through a greenback in a Dollar per Bet machine at the Rate of about $50 a spin, they cover the Drink and Food in 1 Spin. Without these people we don't make money to run the Club, Better yet the Eels

Nikki said:
I cant see how putting on a function that would encourage more ppl to enter our club premises is losing revenue for them. Maybe I have it all back to front, but thats just the way I see it.

A Football club event apparently scares the Whales away (Call it superstition or what ever) but they leave when the Eels got to the club.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
There was something else we have now that didn't exist previously, a State Government Tax that takes about half of the profits we make form Pokies. Now before Fish gets on his High horse that the State needs it and Gambling is exploitation, .

Well, I wont get on any high horse today, suffice to say what I've bolded could quite easily apply to any rugby league team in Sydney.

fish eel said:
Well, I wont get on any high horse today, suffice to say what I've bolded could quite easily apply to any rugby league team in Sydney.

No doubt and if I am being Honest I think it is to a few. But others are lucky that they have other facilities to hold Events.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
No doubt and if I am being Honest I think it is to a few. But others are lucky that they have other facilities to hold Events.

I've often said around here that the clubs need to be looking at other sources of revenue....if for no other reason than it would be good for the soul to not rely on pokies. But I digress.....back on the ground discussion....

I would be interested to hear under what conditions people would accept us re-locating?

Would it be only because we are on our financial deathbed, so to speak and had either exhausted or lost business support not just in parramatta but the wider local area, ie the hills and norwest (which I think we really should be tapping into if we havent tried already).

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Would it be only because we are on our financial deathbed, so to speak and had either exhausted or lost business support not just in parramatta but the wider local area, ie the hills and norwest (which I think we really should be tapping into if we havent tried already).

If it was the last choice scenario rather than first choice....... happily. I'd rather see the club survive but I'd like to see them do everything they can to stay in the area first and not just take the first option.

The stadium will be owned by Diversified Infrastructure Trust, established by the ANZ Bank to invest in social infrastructure. It will be managed by ANZ Infrastructure Services.
The deal promises to maintain the current services for the stadium, although it states there will be a "broad-based general review" of the venue's commercial operations.
The review will focus on profit improvement by reducing overheads and the capital structure of the stadium, regarded as the key cause of its downfall.

But as Gronk posted yesterday, Telstra may not necessatily be the white knight anymore. Throwing more money at an NRL club isn't likely to be among their choices for reducing overheads.....

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/stadium-aust-bid-adds-insult-to-injury-for-underwriters/2007/01/05/1167777277240.html

fish eel said:
But, do ANZ own ANZ Stadium?

telstra only own the 'name' of the stadium, dont they?

Yeah ANZ stadium and Telstra Stadium are both Naming Rights Deals. But it looks as though ANZ now Own Stadium Australia.

The Money was offered by Both the Stadium and SOPA the Sydney Olympic Parks Authority which owns the rest of the precinct, and Makes it Money from Train Tickets to the area and Parking. As I am sure the Colonel and I will report, for games I have been to at Telstra, that Car Park can get Mighty full and with 5 levels with about 500 cars per all paying $25 for the privilege. . . and at least 2 and up to 5 car parks open depending on event, plus all 5 being open and used during the show, You could see SOPA earning 4 Million for Parking During the Easter show, and over 300,000 for a Single State of Origin or Wallabies or Grand Final Game. And that is not counting the Excise on Train Tickets to Olympic Park. which is 1.50 on top each way compared to a return ticket to lidcome from where ever you are. . . They also get the Cash / Lease monies from the companies that are moving in, like Commonwealth Bank and so on and so forth.

I think this was more how the Stadium was run, and how it makes it money.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Yeah ANZ stadium and Telstra Stadium are both Naming Rights Deals. But it looks as though ANZ now Own Stadium Australia.

ahhh....wasn't sure.

The Money was offered by Both the Stadium and SOPA the Sydney Olympic Parks Authority which owns the rest of the precinct, and Makes it Money from Train Tickets to the area and Parking.

Money offered to who? or did I miss something/misread it?

I am sure the Colonel and I will report, for games I have been to at Telstra, that Car Park can get Mighty full .

Indeed, I was stuck there after the 20/20 recently, same night there was also a superdome show and some tennis - and that is why the special event buses RULE when they are on. :lol:

Last year, walked out of the grand final in the last minute, and was sitting on my lounge for the presentation.

sportive cupid

Referee
I vote to stay at Parra Stadium.I dont' have a great concern for who makes what out of the deal.I base my decision on what atmosphere I would prefer and a packed Parra Stadium wins handsdown.

Glenn

First Grade
While the finances of the football club have to be kept in mind, only if it is getting so desperate a cash injection is needed then prehaps a move is needed (if telstra want ti continue the handouts).
Moving away from Parramatta, to most of the STH, regular attendees,casual attendees etc would se a drop off in numbers right across the board.
It is no longer Parramatta representing the district, but a franchise called Parramatta playing at a venue that has no ties to Parramatta community.

I was interested to note that at the Bulldogs AGM last weekend it was reported that the "Return to Belmore" Faction asked about moving back to Belmore. The Bulldogs say they had a 15 year lease.

Also in speaking with the people I know at The Bulldogs. The Cash is a minimum, then if the get over a certain number of people, they get profit sharing.

Also the Dogs are moving a game to Suncorp. They are getting a large amount of cash to go there, almost as much as the value of our entire kit sponsors for going there but full Merchandise, Big Screen use and the rest free of charge.

Lastly did anyone see a bit on the news about the Dogs and their Tarp.

Apparently they have a Huge Tarp (1.3 Tonnes worth of Material) that will Cover the seats, on the non camera side (so facing the camera) at Telstra. It has the Bulldogs Logo plus other sponsors on it apparently. Just another way to increase revenue.

But there is also heart to this story for us Parramatta Fans. I have been assured we are not moving unless it was an absolute last resort.

But there has also been a push for funding for a new $20 Million addition to the Stadium. This Push would see a southern Stand Built which would include a Complete Gymnasium (Open to the Public) Plus a 500 person Function Area.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
But there has also been a push for funding for a new $20 Million addition to the Stadium. This Push would see a southern Stand Built which would include a Complete Gymnasium (Open to the Public) Plus a 500 person Function Area.

Parra is sitting on a safe labor seat are they not? if so I can't see the fund too forthcoming considering the fact that we already have a relatively modern football stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:

That's great news, although I tend to agree with Eela, it wouldn't be a political priority.

Suity

Latest posts