What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Research - Moving the Home Ground

Would you be in favour of the Eels Playing out of Telstra Stadium

• Total voters

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
What disturbs me about this thread is for the first word of the title...Research???...Research for what???

I think that has already been established. ;-)

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
I think that has already been established. ;-)

Suity

rightio...maybe without skimming through posts i should actually take the effort to read them, but unfortunately I don't have much time to even do that these days :?

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
The AFL have been able to do it.

Suity

The AFL have done it, ie 4 teams playing out of the same venue....in fact, for melbourbe sides, they've basically done away with the notion of a home ground.

I'd hate the NRL to go down that track to the same extent......something special about looking at the draw and seeing when the various teams come to OUR HOUSE OUR FORTRESS.....something telstra would never be.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think the poll speaks for itself. 29 people against and 0 for the move.

Personally, No way i would want us to go to Telstra game.

rowdy

First Grade
i know im a girl, but this would seriously upset me if something like this were to happen...

fish eel

Immortal
I might just say, sligtly tongue in cheek, that if we, as a supporter base, openly embrace assaults on our clubs tradition like a regular change in jersey, when we accept only mere lip service bing payed to our clubs history and legends, do we have much right to then get all moral about where the games are played?

Is it not the same principle? Sure, it might be two extremes....but when you start chipping away at one end....you get to the other eventually.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Is it not the same principle? Sure, it might be two extremes....but when you start chipping away at one end....you get to the other eventually.

yes, but when you get there we still have our name, colours, emblem and ground V's our name, colours, emblem....Somebody else's ground??? :?

eelavation said:
What disturbs me about this thread is for the first word of the title...Research???...Research for what???

Research to find a way to get required benifits put forward with the Supporter Relations report. More to help me form an opinion on what people think about it.

And what people think about it is quite interesting.

The perception seems to be that doing this would be money over an emotional link to the past.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Research to find a way to get required benifits put forward with the Supporter Relations report.

Hmmm...what would be the context of it, in what I understood to be an overview of events and services the club provides to it's fans?

More to help me form an opinion on what people think about it.

what do you think?

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
The perception seems to be that doing this would be money over an emotional link to the past.

Mark, I think that is a far to simplistic and almost patronising view on why people don't want Parramatta to leave Parramatta.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:

More than just an emotional link to the past. You could call that a very simplistic and patronising analogy.

Jersey changes and logo changes can be forgiven upon the basis that we still maintain a resemblance of who the team is and who, as an area, they represent. Take the team out of the area and you risk losing a very considerable portion of your fan base.....

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Take the team out of the area and you risk losing a very considerable portion of your fan base.....

Couple a move out of our area with jersey changes, ie third jersey designs that are mainly white, and over time, not only do you become disconnected from your core fan base - but you lose your identity. Lose your identity, you lose your soul.

Looking at the sides that play out of telstra, I think there is a reasonable justification for both the Bulldogs and Tigers to be able to call Homebush 'home'. Souths, not so much.

Hellsy

Immortal
jersey changes are essential, logos as well as long as they don't change from what the team represents.
times changes and so do technology to improve graphics etc which were never around before, plus most people like an 'upgrade' every now and then

Moving a team out of its homeland is a much bigger deal than changing a pattern on a jersey

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Couple a move out of our area with jersey changes, ie third jersey designs that are mainly white, and over time, not only do you become disconnected from your core fan base - but you lose your identity. Lose your identity, you lose your soul.

If the club weren't using the white jersey as a third jersey and rather the official playing strip I think we'd have a concern. The fact we have returned to colours that are more a representation of the colours we have had in the past rather than the dark blue and multiple yellows sees a needed return to that identity.

Looking at the sides that play out of telstra, I think there is a reasonable justification for both the Bulldogs and Tigers to be able to call Homebush 'home'. Souths, not so much.

Reasonable? To an extent but it doesn't hold the traditions that a Belmore or Leichhardt do. To an extent I understand the move away from these venues in terms of the viability of parking, crowd numbers etc. But playing in the same venue as another club isn't exactly creating it as a home ground. Had the Oasis project not crumbled the Bulldogs could well have been based in Liverpool.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Reasonable? To an extent but it doesn't hold the traditions that a Belmore or Leichhardt do. To an extent I understand the move away from these venues in terms of the viability of parking, crowd numbers etc. But playing in the same venue as another club isn't exactly creating it as a home ground. Had the Oasis project not crumbled the Bulldogs could well have been based in Liverpool.

Doesnt hold those traditions, but in terms of the changing demographics of their supporter base, I think it is reasonable - much more reasonable than if we were to go.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Doesnt hold those traditions, but in terms of the changing demographics of their supporter base, I think it is reasonable - much more reasonable than if we were to go.

Tigers and Bulldogs have been rather nomadic for the past ten years really so yes I can understand that point.....

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Tigers and Bulldogs have been rather nomadic for the past ten years really so yes I can understand that point.....

and I think they've suffered because of that.

Latest posts