What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sting, it is not Gaz who is holding things up.

Quite frankly, I don't give a stuff if he signs or not. He left the club on good terms and no one should be denying him the right to make a top shelf income.

For the club, as long as the deal makes sense, then it's all good with me. If it's too much, then let him decide if he wants premiership over money. Of the other clubs offering big bucks, Saints are the only one with a chance of delivering a premiership.

Let's not forget that he has a dozen other options, other clubs and another football code chasing his signature. Can't blame anyone for heading for the beach and leaving it up to the suits.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...e/coop-waits-for-gaz/1838407.aspx?storypage=0

Coop waits for Gaz

BY BRAD FORREST
25 May, 2010 04:00 AM

MATT Cooper's aim to extend his stay with the Dragons is a major spin-off from the imminent return of prodigal son Mark Gasnier - Cooper's famous centre partner.
Cooper's new-found attacking prowess, and his trademark defence, will go on show in tomorrow night's ANZ Stadium blockbuster, State of Origin I, the 30th anniversary of Origin football.
Gasnier and many other fans will be cheering him on after Cooper - who looks set this season to surpass Nathan Blacklock's club record of 100 tries - missed the Origin series last year.
Gasnier and Cooper are like what red and white is to the Dragons' faithful. Both have to go together.
Arguably the best centre partnership in nearly 50 years when a certain uncle also named Gasnier was paired with a G. Langlands before "Changa'' went on to make fullback his domain.
Their "reunion'' would shorten the odds of a first Dragons' premiership since the last sweet victory in 1979.
So it might not be just coincidence that Matt Cooper has "no doubts'' his friend on and off the field, Reg Gasnier's tall nephew Mark, will reject all other offers to come back, sooner than later. Cooper wants to play on - past the terms of his present contract.
"I have another year [2011], I'm 31 and in my 11th season but I would like to extend because I do think I'm in some of the best form of my life,'' said the Shellharbour junior.
Cooper and Gasnier talk regularly and Cooper speaks as though Gasnier is already training alongside him. He knew a while ago that "Gaz wanted to come back'' from playing rugby union in France.
Even given the special family health circumstances (Gasnier's wife Claudine' father has cancer), Gasnier had a yearning to test himself again in the world's toughest league competition, Cooper observed.
Despite some suggestions that Gasnier might be past his prime, that he is carrying a crook shoulder, Cooper has no doubts about what he will do for a 2010 St George Illawarra side, which, coach Wayne Bennett has motoring along quite nicely.
"I loved playing alongside him. Gaz will just give us that extra edge again,'' Cooper said.
"He is just keen to come back her and despite offers from rugby union and other NRL clubs, he'll be welcomed back by us [Dragons] for sure.
"It is now just a matter of when.''
A Gasnier "reunion'' temporarily had Cooper forgetting his duel in his return to Origin football tomorrow - his 12th for NSW.
Although Cooper didn't think he would be switched from left side to right centre - to mark Queensland and Melbourne Storm Test star Greg Inglis - he talked about the "equally hard test'' in pairing up opposite Israel Folau.
The Brisbane centre is actually on the Queensland wing (but then Cooper and the NSW coaching staff might have some inside intelligence about a swap).
In any case, Cooper was "sure'' Blues centre team-mate Timana Tahu would cope well on the right side against Inglis.
Then there's big Jamal Idris to help them out tomorrow night.
"I really think we [NSW] have the side to win this year,'' Cooper said.

* MATT Cooper puts his terrific form this season down to "greed'' on the field and relaxing off it -and listening to coach Wayne Bennett.
"He told me to get greedy and go chase the football. He gave me a bit of a kick up the pants this season, saying I wasn't doing myself justice waiting for things to happen in attack,'' Cooper said.
"That's been working great. What makes Wayne different is his individual approach to life off the field. He makes us get a hobby away from footy.''
Cooper's hobbies? "My family,'' said the man who became a dad on Father's Day last year and who runs a popular Wollongong clothing store.
Then he quickly adds: "Golf. Can't play it enough.''
It's a case of one hobby overlapping another.

nrlnrl

First Grade
might be some news by next Tuesday about a three and a half year deal, around $1.6 million

RedVDave

First Grade
Sting, it is not Gaz who is holding things up.

Quite frankly, I don't give a stuff if he signs or not. He left the club on good terms and no one should be denying him the right to make a top shelf income.

For the club, as long as the deal makes sense, then it's all good with me. If it's too much, then let him decide if he wants premiership over money. Of the other clubs offering big bucks, Saints are the only one with a chance of delivering a premiership.

Let's not forget that he has a dozen other options, other clubs and another football code chasing his signature. Can't blame anyone for heading for the beach and leaving it up to the suits.

I never thought I'd say this to you Willow but I have to disagree with you sorry mate, Although you are correct in saying that Gasnier (as well as any other player) has the right to hunt for the big bucks I just don't think Gaz left on good terms, as far as i'm concerned he knew he was leaving but knew if he had announced it before SOO NSW would not have picked him, during this time we lost his potential replacement in Josh Morris and he had his flight booked to France directly after the Manly semi-final so where do you think his focus was?

From a personal point of view whether he signs with us or not does not worry me, Bennett knows what he is doing and if his signature costs us a bunch of talent when Gaz only has 2-3 years left in him, I think it's rough deal if thats the scenario.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Or we might continue our winning ways without him. A minor premiership last year and sitting pretty atop of the ladder at the moment suggests to me we are doing pretty good at the moment

Willow

Assistant Moderator
RedVDave, it was not Gasnier's fault that the third party payments didn't materialise. It was not his fault that the club and the NRL were unable to hold up their side of the deal. It was not his decision to let J Morris go.

It is well documented that he signalled his intentions to go to Union well before all this - this was not the first time his move to Union was in the news, the first offer was a year or two before. The NRL and the club made an offer to keep Gasnier in League, he agreed to that deal. The money promised never came to fruition so what was he to do?

Any criticism should be levelled at those who brokered the deal and let J Morris go in the process. But imo, it was just one of those things. The offer from Bulldogs was hard to beat. J Morris took the money and good luck to him, but it interesting that he seems to be immune from any fan anger.

Before Gasnier left, the club said they'd welcome him back. Proof is in the contract (he can't play with another NRL club before 2012). Moreover, the players have come out one after the other saying they'd welcome him back.

There is nothing of substance to suggest there is any bad blood between Gasnier and the club and players. There seems to be a few negative comments from fans but I'm not sure what that is based on.

watatank

Coach
Before Gasnier left, the club said they'd welcome him back. Proof is in the contract (he can't play with another NRL club before 2012). Moreover, the players have come out one after the other saying they'd welcome him back.

A clause that wasn't part of the original contract and only inserted after he got released IIRC

mortz

whats the consensus, do you want him back knowing you will lose some of this team, or are you happy for him to sign else where

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A clause that wasn't part of the original contract and only inserted after he got released IIRC
News to me. Can't see how that work, unless it was already part of the original agreement.

Mortz, which players are we losing?

mortz

News to me. Can't see how that work, unless it was already part of the original agreement.

Mortz, which players are we losing?

i have been told jeremy smith neville and nightingale as a start... probably more fringe players as well.. add to the fact that it would put you out of the race to get josh morris back

vista

Juniors
Ok to lose Smith (he's injury prone anyway) but would hate t lose Costigan. It already seems to be that Gasnier's return will disrupt things like he always does. I just hope Bennet has got all angles covered on this one.

RedVDave

First Grade
RedVDave, it was not Gasnier's fault that the third party payments didn't materialise. It was not his fault that the club and the NRL were unable to hold up their side of the deal. It was not his decision to let J Morris go.

It is well documented that he signalled his intentions to go to Union well before all this - this was not the first time his move to Union was in the news, the first offer was a year or two before. The NRL and the club made an offer to keep Gasnier in League, he agreed to that deal. The money promised never came to fruition so what was he to do?

Any criticism should be levelled at those who brokered the deal and let J Morris go in the process. But imo, it was just one of those things. The offer from Bulldogs was hard to beat. J Morris took the money and good luck to him, but it interesting that he seems to be immune from any fan anger.

There is nothing of substance to suggest there is any bad blood between Gasnier and the club and players. There seems to be a few negative comments from fans but I'm not sure what that is based on.

There is no disputing that the club and the NRL were unable to hold up their side of the deal. I just feel in my IMO that the whole thing from both parties could have been handled a lot better, I read somewhere that Gaz was in France the night after the Manly semi which I think is disgraceful to be honest.

Again like I said whether we sign him or not theres plus's and negatives in both.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i have been told jeremy smith neville and nightingale as a start... probably more fringe players as well.. add to the fact that it would put you out of the race to get josh morris back
Short answer: we don't know.

I ask, because if we lose players that we are losing anyway, then it becomes an unneccessary concern.

I doubt very much we would let Nightingale go. J Smith might be offloaded for different reasons - could be injuries. Hornby might go to the UK, Priddis will almost certainly retire. But until we know for sure, it's all speculation.

Plus, let's not forget the cap will be going up by around $300 per club.

big pat

Coach

what another telecrap exclusive.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is no disputing that the club and the NRL were unable to hold up their side of the deal. I just feel in my IMO that the whole thing from both parties could have been handled a lot better,
You're probably right there Dave.
RedVDave said:
I read somewhere that Gaz was in France the night after the Manly semi which I think is disgraceful to be honest.
Only possible if he had access to a teleport machine, I don't think he got there that quick.

He caught a flight or was making preparations to leave the next day. Apparently some fans didn't like it because he didn't hang around for a week. People are entitled to be outraged. Personally I can't see how it was an issue.

RedVDave said:
Again like I said whether we sign him or not theres plus's and negatives in both.
Yes indeed. There's always plusses and negatives - especially if we go looking for them. ;-)

Slackboy72

Coach
Short answer: we don't know.

I ask, because if we lose players that we are losing anyway, then it becomes an unneccessary concern.

I doubt very much we would let Nightingale go. J Smith might be offloaded for different reasons - could be injuries. Hornby might go to the UK, Priddis will almost certainly retire. But until we know for sure, it's all speculation.

Plus, let's not forget the cap will be going up by around $300 per club.

I think J Smith wants out because he's getting much better offers in the UK. This might also be the case with Hornby and Cooper. Priddis will probably retire.
Take those four out and we can bring in two TYC players into the top 25, get Gaz and snare our Josh back.
That's all rumour and speculation.
But surely a Cronk is worth chasing more than a showpony who was, quite frankly, very average the last time he played with us?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
the fact that it would put you out of the race to get josh morris back
Missed this.

Big Pat's right. That 'fact' is straight from the pages of crap paper.

J Morris is signed with the dogs until 2012 anyway. By then, Cooper will have most likely moved on.