What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

watatank

Coach
watatank

Who says the dragons are going to a lot of trouble to get him back, last I heard he had to play for the Dragons or sit on the side lines

Who says they aren't? Who says they're not just waiting for the right time to announce the decision? Who says that playing for the Dragons is Gasnier's only NRL option?

What we do know is that just about everyone important is excited about the prospect of having him back and majority of fans on here too. May not mean much overall but it's a good start.

Last edited:

feral dragon

Juniors
watatank
Any other nrl options, have to be sanctioned by the Dragons and if they say no he can't play for another nrl club, then so be it. Barring of course a legal battle, or the other club paying compensation to the Dragons.

In regards to every one being excited about having him back, well hey, that's exactly where I am at to.

I could go into a long winded spiel, about how much he will bring to our right side attack and what players, would benefit most with his return and why I think so. Suffice to say I am eagerly awaiting his return. My apologies, if I seem a tad conservative, about rushing him back into starting first grade.

watatank

Coach
Depends on what the terms of the release were...We can't just offer Gaz 50k and say take it or leave it...it would still have to be reasonable. If he came back we would still have to offer him something that reflects a player of his calibre which is where TPA's come in, any team that wants him will have to do the same (but TPA's are only a problem for us)

There are a lot of things that could be happening right now but considering the positivity surrounding Gaz returning I'd be more inclined to think that it would have more to do with working out TPA's or the NRL checking everything against the salary cap rather than deliberately taking Gaz off the market for the next 6 months.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
He could return for the Tigers game, score a hatrick against them, like he did in 2002, 2005 and 2006 (x2).

Jono1987

Juniors
I was very cautious at first. But now I'm getting excited. Let's face it guys a weapon like Gaz, assuming he gels with the team and learns how to read plays in defence is going to make us all jizz. Don't lie now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"I've only ever wanted to go back to Saints"
- Mark Gasnier.

All reports say that it is negotiations between club, player manager and the NRL that are holding things up. Gasnier is keen to play.

RedVDave

First Grade
Mark Gasnier to sign with Dragons in few days

The wait for the return of prodigal son Mark Gasnier to the Dragons is over.
Gasnier is poised to sign with the club next week, before the clash with the Wests Tigers at Kogarah's WIN Jubilee Oval.
After weeks of delicate negotiations, St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust and manager George Mimis are putting the finishing touches to third-party agreements which will secure Gasnier's deal until the end of 2012.

Late yesterday Doust said negotiations with Gasnier remained "a work in progress", but the Mercury understands a deal will be done in the coming days.
Doust hosed down suggestions of a plan by the club to parade Gasnier in front of the faithful prior to Friday night's home clash against the Tigers.
While Gasnier's signing is imminent, it could be up to three weeks before Gasnier takes the field, with coach Wayne Bennett eager to include the superstar centre in Dragons training sessions before unleashing him on the NRL.
Still, the mere sight of Gasnier in a red-and-white polo shirt again will be enough to convince long-suffering Dragons fans this year could be the premiership drought breaker.
Rumours were rife that Gasnier had signed on Thursday night, with even a high-profile Dragons player commenting to friends that a deal had been done with the 28-year-old.
But Doust, who has been on a corporate trip in Queensland during the State of Origin period through the week, yesterday denied the contract was signed and sealed.
Gasnier walked out on the Dragons during the 2008 season after a number of big-money third-party deals feel through.
After 141 games for the Dragons, the star centre joined French rugby union outfit Stade Francais on a contract that was worth about $1 million per year.
So that Gasnier can be squeezed under the salary cap this season, his new back-ended base contract is believed to be worth about $1 million over three years.
He will also receive lucrative third-party payments, with Doust going to painstaking lengths to ensure there will be no collapse of these deals, as there was two years ago.
Gasnier had attracted interest from NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds, coached by his mentor in Paris, Ewen McKenzie, with a view to playing for the Wallabies.
New Super rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels - which signed South African-born Dragons prop Jarrod Saffy earlier this year - were also in negotiations with Gasnier about a return to Australia.
But in the end, Gasnier chose to return home to Sydney and the NRL.
After exercising the get-out clause two years into his five-year Dragons contract, Gasnier made an agreement with the club that he would only negotiate with them if he ever wanted to play in the NRL again. With more room left in their salary cap, the Roosters and Newcastle made overtures about Gasnier availability, but he made it clear he only ever wanted to play for the Dragons.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-dragons-in-few-days/1862638.aspx?storypage=0

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Seems like it's a done deal. Going to be interesting to see who is still at the Dragons next year. Hope this doesn't ruin our chances of re-signing Boyd.

Next year will be Coopers last so that may free up a bit of money.

Bring back choc

Juniors
No player is worth losing Boyd. We have no fullback options if he was to leave. And he is the beat fullback the club has had in Many many Years.

The Nick

Bench
Nightingale. Wayne Bennett sounded him out about playing fullback before he signed Boyd. If it's good enough for Wayne it's good enough for me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Seems like it's a done deal. Going to be interesting to see who is still at the Dragons next year. Hope this doesn't ruin our chances of re-signing Boyd.

Next year will be Coopers last so that may free up a bit of money.
Hornby, J Smith both rumoured to be going to the UK.

Cooper might join them.