What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

Saint Jack

Juniors
Irrespective of whether the giant Tazo comes back, JDog Smith and Beau are not bench players.

Moving round the jigsaw to me suggests a return for Smith into the tight middle backrow and Young to the bench.

Be harsh on Youngy. I think he's having his best season for a while.

Might have to play Gaz at 5/8th ... ;-)

petetheileet

First Grade
Gaz will be right centre

Smith and Scott could both have great impact off the bench IMO

but i think Smith will still start with Nev

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Weyman
9. Priddis/Fein
10. Hunt
11. Smith
12. Creagh
13. Young
14. Prior
15. Costigan
16. Scott
17. Green/Merrin

All i can say is WOW!!!

OK, so now I'm excited! Who's collecting the money? Where do I send my $50?
He'll be still only 29 in July, so sign him to a 3 year deal now - please!
If they release him to play at another NRL club it would be one of the biggest blunders Doust has ever made.
People say we don't have the X factor - well this guy can win us a comp.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I find it rather amusing that people are actually saying "his defence is an issue, we don't want him". To the ppl saying that... Give yourselves an uppercut. Two uppercuts in fact. He is an international and will have the best coach in the game. There would be only one issue.. Who would go back to the bench!! Scott? Young?? Smith?? Great problem to have. It would be a massive boost for the club, the game, tv ratings and so on. This is fantastic news that should be embraced by all. I would have him in a split second. Our pack and bench would look the best it's been in 10 years.

1. Boyd
2. Nightingale
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Hunt
9. Priddis
10. Weyman
11. Smith
12. Scott
13. Creagh

bench: Scott, costigan, prior, Emmett/Stanley.

woodley_11

Juniors
As much as I rate Gasnier as an attacking weapon, I still prefer the bodyguard Beau Scott. This isn't out of spite after Gasnier left us for France, I just like how well the team is performing together as a defensive unit and if it isn't broken I don't want to try and fix it, especially mid season without a pre-season for him to get used to the new game plan.

However, if we do sign him it will be because Bennett thinks he can use him and I'm not prepared to back my footy wisdom against St. Wayne's. At the moment it is just a bunch of words written in the Daily Telegraph so I'm not getting too carried away with it just yet.

ghostface

Juniors
The return of the prodigal son would provide the dragons with a nice financial windfall. He will put bums on seats and could potentially attract new sponsors considering we now have a bankable 'superstar'. All good things for the club. Stick him on the right and we should have an attack that can score on both sides.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Irrespective of whether the giant Tazo comes back, JDog Smith and Beau are not bench players.

Moving round the jigsaw to me suggests a return for Smith into the tight middle backrow and Young to the bench.

I agree with your comments regarding Scott, who IMO should be our 13 but Smith was used very effectively by Bellamy off the bench and of late I've wondered about Creagh who may need a little freshening up and some time on the bench could be appropriate.

Saint Jack

Juniors
Smith provides guts though. He is tough and other players watch him. We need that. Our forwards may be OK - but its Smith that provides that little bit of extra toughness !

Steel Dragon

Bench
The return of the prodigal son would provide the dragons with a nice financial windfall. He will put bums on seats and could potentially attract new sponsors considering we now have a bankable 'superstar'. All good things for the club. Stick him on the right and we should have an attack that can score on both sides.

What do you mean by 'bankable superstar'?
I'd rather have a whole team of nuffies that function well as a whole than one stand out bloke who thinks he's bigger than the club.
That being said - Why wouldnt you consider Morris, Soward or Creagh 'bankable superstars'?

Sure, you may attract new sponsors. But as the reigning minor premiers and current ladder toppers, it would be hard to imagine that the Dragons product isnt already a pretty attractive one to be associated with.
And you have to remember, Gasnier has gotten up to some shenannigans in the past that could have the potential to sway sponsors and fans away from the club. All i'm saying is that theres no guarantees.

I agree that our left hand side is pretty dominant in attack, but IMO Nightingale doesnt really have a ball playing centre inside him at the moment. Nighty has the potential to devestate with the ball in hand, but he'll probably see less of it with Gasnier hogging it inside him.

Steel Dragon

Bench
As much as I rate Gasnier as an attacking weapon, I still prefer the bodyguard Beau Scott. This isn't out of spite after Gasnier left us for France, I just like how well the team is performing together as a defensive unit and if it isn't broken I don't want to try and fix it, especially mid season without a pre-season for him to get used to the new game plan.

However, if we do sign him it will be because Bennett thinks he can use him and I'm not prepared to back my footy wisdom against St. Wayne's. At the moment it is just a bunch of words written in the Daily Telegraph so I'm not getting too carried away with it just yet.

Best summary of the situation I reckon!

Cagey Mac

Bench
What do you mean by 'bankable superstar'?
I'd rather have a whole team of nuffies that function well as a whole than one stand out bloke who thinks he's bigger than the club.
That being said - Why wouldnt you consider Morris, Soward or Creagh 'bankable superstars'?

Sure, you may attract new sponsors. But as the reigning minor premiers and current ladder toppers, it would be hard to imagine that the Dragons product isnt already a pretty attractive one to be associated with.
And you have to remember, Gasnier has gotten up to some shenannigans in the past that could have the potential to sway sponsors and fans away from the club. All i'm saying is that theres no guarantees.

I agree that our left hand side is pretty dominant in attack, but IMO Nightingale doesnt really have a ball playing centre inside him at the moment. Nighty has the potential to devestate with the ball in hand, but he'll probably see less of it with Gasnier hogging it inside him.

You may need to look at the YouTube clip on the Merc site a few times to ease your concerns regarding Gaz's ability to combine with Nighty

saint pebba

First Grade
Nighty has the potential to devestate with the ball in hand, but he'll probably see less of it with Gasnier hogging it inside him.

If I remember correctly didn't colin best score 24 tries in a season outside Gasnier (who at the time scored approx 15 himself).

If anything this would increase the likelyhood of Nightingale getting the ball.

New_Era

Juniors
If I remember correctly didn't colin best score 24 tries in a season outside Gasnier (who at the time scored approx 15 himself).

If anything this would increase the likelyhood of Nightingale getting the ball.

We only ever used to attack down the Right, Only a Few teams can manage that side well.

The Storm, The Sea Eagles, and the Panthers.

The rest are better on the LEFT.

If we get Mark, with our left so Strong at the moment, They wont know what do defensively against us.

Soward, Nightingale and Daruis Would score a Heap of Tries off the back of Gas just being there.

We must put out all stops to sign Mark.

Our goal is to win a Comp. THIS YEAR.

Thats it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Our pack and bench would look the best it's been in 10 years.

1. Boyd
2. Nightingale
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Hunt
9. Priddis
10. Weyman
11. Smith
12. Scott
13. Creagh

bench: Scott, costigan, prior, Emmett/Stanley.

you're right! two beau scotts... how awesome would that be???