What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

mameimo

Juniors
Would signing Gasnier affect the Dragons signing Josh Morris after his contract is finished with the Bulldogs?

Goddo

Bench
Would signing Gasnier affect the Dragons signing Josh Morris after his contract is finished with the Bulldogs?

Maybe in terms of money. They would play on oposite sides so thats not a problem, and we have players comming off contract every year. Josh is off contract in 2012 isn't he, the same time Coops is tipped to retire, so it should be a simple exercise.

If the NRL increases the cap to $6m in 2013 with the new TV deal as tipped, it might be possible for us to look at back ending contracts. Heres a possible backline circa 2013:

1 Nightingale? (I don't think we will be able to hang onto Boyd when his contract expires)
2 ????
3 Gasnier
4 Moris
5 Moris
6 Soward/Stanley?
7 Henry? (when does Hornby's new contract expire, 3 years wasn't it, so 2012? Can we keep Henry?)

We will need to buy in or develop at least 3-4ish backs into our run on squad by then. Who knows, maybe Tagive or someone else will set the world on fire in the near future.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
ugh. it annoys me that we have all gotten over him and now he comes waltzing back in all HAI GUYZ IM BACK

everyone in the current team deserves their spot, i dont get where he would play.

i can't deny his spark but he is so unreliable and not to mention injury prone.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
2012 isn't it? Assuming they don't release him beforehand.

If I was to make a prediction, Gaz will sign with us for the remainder of this year for next to nicks. It will only be for the short term but he will prove to be a great asset. Next year he will link up with the Melbourne Rebels for megabucks. Josh will sign with us in time for 2012. How's that crystal ball? ;-)

stg666

Juniors
1.boyd
2.florence
3.gaz
4.coops
5.b.moz
6. henry ?
7.soward
8.hunt
9.fein/hornby
10.weyman
11.creagh
12.smith
13.scott

14.prior
15.merrin
16.young
17.hornby/fein

any comments?

TheRev

First Grade
Newcastle are a huge chance, Gasniers manager was commenting that they like the idea of a quieter way of life (though NRL stars in Newcastle are hardly noones!), and the Knights have plenty of cash left under the cap due to recent drug issues.

Problem is if Gasnier wants a premiership, it has to be at the dragons, the Knights are no hope..

Ulysseus

Bench
umm Fien/Priddis to miss out as Costigan/Young can both cover hooker. Emmett has shown he is also a guy who is top 17 material. Gotta love our depth

Its certainly a complicated equation.
You don't want to stack the bench with players that can't go hard in the forwards because they require the most rotation, but on the other hand we've all seen teams gamble with 4 big boppers on the bench AND seen it backfire.

Ulysseus

Bench
you're right! two beau scotts... how awesome would that be???

Indeed.........................

*runs out of the room................

*starts up cloning machine

*puts on evil voice

Professor: Excellent!, with this DNA I shall create an army of Beau Scott's!, when growth accelerated they will be able to begin their planned invasion of mineral rich Mongolia, seize the deposits and make us all rich beyond our wildest dreams!
Bennett: Slow down f**kwit, I only need 7 more of him and they are to use in a game of football, and 4 of them are for spares.
Professor: Then who will I use to seize control of the worlds gold supply?
Bennett: f**ked if I know, but that army of perpetual motion automated anal raping machines that you mounted missile launchers too might just be a bit more adequate for that task.
Professor: Are they amphibious?
Bennett: I dunno ask Ricky Stuart, have them invade somewhere flowing with a constant river of tears to test the theory, have you head of Melbourne?
Professor: They have a team that causes such emotion?
Bennett: I thought you lived in Melbourne?
Professor: Oh yes, from 1997 till earlier this year.
Bennett: And you didn't know about their rugby league team?
Professor: Rugby wha?

Ulysseus

Bench
One question:

Do they need him?

Lets be honest, his leaving freed up enough of the cap to create a team that was genuinely competitive and continues to be be that.

I hope his return does not endow a false sense of confidence in other players.

I think the team has moved on, its not all about ad lib flair, its structure without the stars, one machine, each part as important as the other and with some ease of replacement.

Gasnier's 2005 to 2006 style of play suited what Saints were doing back then, not what they are doing now.

He would need to adapt to 2010's game plan, know your role, give 100% to your role in minute 1, 100% in every minute after minute 1, do as your told, DO NOT rush out of the line and don't be a hero - above all, remember that you are just a part of the machine, and in 2010 not even a massively important part, deviate from the plan and its get the f**k out time.
Honestly - to hold down his spot in the team he is going to need to defend a hell of a lot better than years gone by.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
We would have to let go of a few players.

Off contract this year are:

Nick emmett
Jon Green
Jake Marketo
Ben hornby
Neville costigan
Michael greenfield
Michael Lett
Luke Priddis
Beau Henry
Ricky Thorby
Trent Merrin[ Must stay next big thing in front row stakes]

Any others???

Dont get me wrong signing gaz would be awesome for the club and I would welcome it on board for this year but for next year onwards we have to let a few players go to try and keep him. Also a concern is that Creagh, Morris, Weyman, Prior and Soward have re signed contracts this year and there new upgrades will start next year with more money filling the cap. So who is to be let go???

Is it worth getting gaz? In my opinion he is worth it.

Thoughts??

Last edited:

Guvner

First Grade
Saffy has already gone. Priddis will be. From that list I would say Lett and Thorby could miss out as well.

watatank

Coach
Pretty sure Hornby is staying on.

Priddis will probably retire...Saffy is already gone. Costigan can attract good offers elsewhere anyway so he might have to be let go..

The rest...aren't on that much. I can't see Lett staying, not sure how much longer he can bide his time...he will go alright at another club. Can't see too many of them leaving apart from maybe Henry but in any case shouldn't really affect any offer to Gaz

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
Dont get me wrong signing gaz would be awesome for the club and I would welcome it on board for this year but for next year onwards we have to let a few players go to try and keep him. Also a concern is that Creagh, Morris, Weyman, Prior and Soward have re signed contracts this year and there new upgrades will start next year with more money filling the cap. So who is to be let go???

Is it worth getting gaz? In my opinion he is worth it.

Thoughts??

Mate, nothing personal but there is already a thread discussing all of this over the course of 7 pages. You really shouldn't start a brand new thread when there is the perfect place for your thoughts here:

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359670&page=7

Fair enough if there is some big new news on the situation, but when you're just stating what has been said 100 times already... (well, 91 so far)

Red V Ultras

Juniors
Bring back Josh Morris and Gaz can go to cronulla or rorters f**k him we need players that can score not f**king someone who left us and flew to France for pussy rugby. It's a no brainer keep who we have and go all in for Josh next year.

TheRev

First Grade
One question:

Do they need him?

Lets be honest, his leaving freed up enough of the cap to create a team that was genuinely competitive and continues to be be that.

I hope his return does not endow a false sense of confidence in other players.

I think the team has moved on, its not all about ad lib flair, its structure without the stars, one machine, each part as important as the other and with some ease of replacement.

Gasnier's 2005 to 2006 style of play suited what Saints were doing back then, not what they are doing now.

He would need to adapt to 2010's game plan, know your role, give 100% to your role in minute 1, 100% in every minute after minute 1, do as your told, DO NOT rush out of the line and don't be a hero - above all, remember that you are just a part of the machine, and in 2010 not even a massively important part, deviate from the plan and its get the f**k out time.
Honestly - to hold down his spot in the team he is going to need to defend a hell of a lot better than years gone by.

Might be right, we dont need him.. and I dont know yet at what expense he would come.. id hope we dont lose 2 many players..... but surely we need to lose at least 1 mid-range player?

And I certainly hope he wouldn't be a problem in defense (I dont recall him being that), but really more tries out of nothing is what we lack for tight games.. it doesnt always work out that you can send BMoz away every game.. we need other options.

I mean if w