What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reuben Fox

bluefox68

Staff member
Hey, guys…

I’ve got some spare time, so I’ll let you guys know what I have been dealing with over the last 16 months.

On April 24th last year, me and my family went up to the Sunny Coast for the day.
We went to ‘the safest beach’ you could imagine - Bulcock Beach, Caloundra.
The water is normally really deep, as it drops off from the shore dramatically because of the current (Pumicestone Passage).

I dived in (shallow dive). All good.
A few minutes later, my then-14-year-old son Reuben dived in. Where he dived in, there must have been a sandbar, as he broke his neck (C5) and severely damaged his spinal cord.

He floated in the water for about a minute - we thought he was ‘playing dead’ (as teenage boys love to do). By the time we realised he wasn’t mucking around, it took me another couple of minutes to get in and drag him out.

He had no pulse, was not breathing, and was blue.

Thankfully two lifesavers on holidays from South Australia stepped in as I was trying to remember CPR…

Long story short, he was airlifted to Brissie. He spent 9 months in hospital.
He is a quadriplegic, and I’m now his full-time Carer. I was due to start a new job the week after his accident.

Life goes on. We’re thankful that he is is still with us.

Oh, and he’s a Sharks supporter. Mulitalo sent him a video message. ‘Sharks Have Heart’ sent a signed jersey…

I haven’t said anything on the forum until now. It takes a while to get used to this sort of thing!

Oh man Bluefox I really feel for you that is very tragic sad news. But I’m very glad to hear that your son has a second chance of life, it’s in a restricted capacity but he is alive.

Life really is a roller coaster ride and you don’t know what you are going to get as you come around the next corner. I tell my family that quite often and for them to live happily, be great full for things you have and the family and friends who make your life good.

Thank you for having the courage in sharing this with the forum. We are all here for you Bluey if you ever want to chat. Stay strong always!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My son had a bad car crash, when he was 19 C3 and C4, took him two years to walk again, one of very few who walked out of the PA, great hospital. Very lucky still has no feeling in his left hand, but can walk, great surgeons, cop car hit him, by mistake got the best on it.

So sorry to hear that Bluey. You never know what goes on in others lives. Sometimes the banter in here can get a little personal and even mean . I think its more just a release from the daily stressfull but polite and reserved liives we lead. But I think we all wish you and your son the best .I can't think of anything more devastating for a parent. You are obviously a great and loving Dad . Hope the Sharks can give you and your son plenty to cheer about in coming weeks.

bluefox68

Staff member
Thanks so much, guys, for your messages of support. It means so much.

I also know that for every message posted, there are probably others who are so supportive, but don’t have the words!

Yes, it is a release to post (etc) on the forum…

Now you’ve all gotta be nice to me when I do my lame April Fool’s Day jokes… Actually, no, carry on as normal… Fire away!

Up, up, Cronulla!!!!

shadowboxer

First Grade
Oh man Blue - sorry to hear your news but glad your doing the best by your son as his carer and providing all the love and support you can.
Of my kids, our eldest no longer lives with our family and is on a care home, due to his physical /mental issues and that he is profoundly disabled. The effect on my wife and other kids was terrible and after 6 years never gets easier him being away from us, but something you just get used to.
Took myself a long time to learn it, but the most important thing is your family - particularly your immediate family.
I wish you all the best going forward.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Sorry fox to hear that. Having 2 under 10 of my own I can only imagine how hard it has been for you. You are spot in things can change in an instant Quigs. Wish you and the family all the best bluey.

chewsta

First Grade
Jeez Bluey my heart breaks for you both mate. Like a few other fellas on here I also have a young son (12yo) and your story really hit home at just how quickly things can change in a split second. Stay strong young Reuben, you have a great dad by your side mate. All the best guys, Much love and respect to you both.

Chewy

sladden road

Juniors
Thanks for posting man. Really sorry to hear this for you. f**k life has curve balls. It is the value of love and family in times like this that see us though. Stay as you are brother, keep an eye on your own self care and laugh out loud at the rest of us bludgers on hear.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I did get the worse phone call, 4am, a very polite police officer, sir your son has been in an accident, you need to come to hospital.. But Poor Bluey watched his kid die...FMD...

My son is 34, I have learnt how to fix holes in walls, uses his left hand.

Chin up, and Up Up....