What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Sydney @ Allianz Stadium, Moore Park / Gadigal

Who will win? Round 17: Sydney v Wests Tigers

• Sydney Roosters 13+

• Sydney Roosters 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tigerm

First Grade

‘He’s a grub’: Tigers prop’s JWH sledge not forgotten by Roosters​

I guess we'll see what Stef has got in him.
A little bit of trivia, it's our 600th game as a club.

WA Tiger

Bench
No more “fabulous” Staines..and about time..That took more than half a season..and for no reason except the fear of change
O I see he was ill..i believe them millions wouldn’t ..

‘He’s a grub’: Tigers prop’s JWH sledge not forgotten by Roosters

I guess we'll see what Stef has got in him.
So Stefano wants to see 'what's out there'. Let's see him put in a big one 1st.

Collins will be up for a big game after SOO, Stefano, forget JWH, Collins is your challenge.
I'd have Klemmer on the bench to 'protect' the young forwards from JWH, when JWH heads towards the sideline, Klemmer does as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
Big game for us, like every game from now on.
The tits have a bye.
The eels play Newcastle.
If they were to beat them and we lose, we are back on the bottom all alone again. No pressure.

Would think maybe Angus Crichton is rested, the rest of the Roosters guys will play. Im very interested in our team and who comes in.
Whatever the result it’s not a bad draw to test where the players are actually up to against undoubted quality opposition.

Has the last two weeks been more than good fortune or the vagaries of a long season?

I tend to believe it's showing that our high priced players have not been delivering.
Yes I think that’s an arguable case.

But in fair spirit, at some point Benji has to select them and give them the opportunity to respond.

The only fly in the ointment seems to an overall fitness and the chronic injury issue which disrupts the level playing field of talent and ability for many players.

I would say that all of our players deep into their mid-late twenties and over are carrying old injuries, they are slower and so forth. And the heartbreak is that it’s not their fault.

Then you get freaks like Foran that should have retired 4 years ago but are still capable of freak games.

But a good point you make. I love Bateman but he’s big overs in some key areas. It’s frustrating.

Tigerm

First Grade
Yes I think that’s an arguable case.

But in fair spirit, at some point Benji has to select them and give them the opportunity to respond.

The only fly in the ointment seems to an overall fitness and the chronic injury issue which disrupts the level playing field of talent and ability for many players.

I would say that all of our players deep into their mid-late twenties and over are carrying old injuries, they are slower and so forth. And the heartbreak is that it’s not their fault.

Then you get freaks like Foran that should have retired 4 years ago but are still capable of freak games.

But a good point you make. I love Bateman but he’s big overs in some key areas. It’s frustrating.
I don't really follow other clubs recruitment, but it seems to have been happening here for over a decade.
We bring in over priced players who just don't deliver, we have a history of it.
I am not saying that I was against many of the signings, we have certainly needed quality, but as soon as most of them get here, they turn to shit.
Hopefully Richo can turn this situation around.

I don't really follow other clubs recruitment, but it seems to have been happening here for over a decade.
We bring in over priced players who just don't deliver, we have a history of it.
I am not saying that I was against many of the signings, we have certainly needed quality, but as soon as most of them get here, they turn to shit.
Hopefully Richo can turn this situation around.
My guess is that once they've gotten here they've seen the don't give a f**k attitude and rolled with it.

That is going to be the single hardest thing to turn around. Richo has done it at Souths though. There's definitely already some improvement in this area this year. For the most part.

The major problem is that you are bound under salary cap rules to spend 95% of the cap each year, regardless of the quality of your squad. I think everyone would agree that our squad, especially in the recent past, wouldn't be even 50% the quality of Penrith, Melbourne, etc. This leads to a culture of overpaid players, completely out of our control. This leads to apathy.

Also, guaranteed contracts. I'm a big believer in incentive based contracts for a club in our position, as the players are literally singing for their supper. These type of contracts should be rolled out to young guys coming through, and older guys who are no longer in the prime of their career. The only issue is that it could create animosity between them and guys like Luai who would be on guaranteed contracts. But them again, that should encourage them to play good consistent footy over a period of time and maybe then they can move up to a guaranteed contract.

The NRL deck is truely stacked against the teams on the bottom. We have had poor management for so long it's going to take a few more years to see success. That's if we make all the right moves as well.

Tigerm

First Grade

8Stefano Utoikamanu
9Apisai Koroisau
10Fonua Pole
11Rueben Porter
12Samuel Fainu
13Justin Matamua

INTERCHANGE​

14 Heath Mason
15 Sione Fainu
16 Alex Seyfarth
17 David Klemmer

I know this line up is subject to change, but I don’t think it’s not too bad, the run on side has shown they are worthy and we’ve got a strong bench.

Might tell us, what Stef is thinking?

WA Tiger

Bench
One minute some of these players were the core of the team now they are at best on the fringes.. No Twal Bateman Staines..

Tigerm

First Grade

8Stefano Utoikamanu
9Apisai Koroisau
10Fonua Pole
11Rueben Porter
12Samuel Fainu
13Justin Matamua

INTERCHANGE​

14 Heath Mason
15 Sione Fainu
16 Alex Seyfarth
17 David Klemmer

I know this line up is subject to change, but I don’t think it’s not too bad, the run on side has shown they are worthy and we’ve got a strong bench.

Might tell us, what Stef is thinking?

Mason out, Bateman in.