What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reyno out for 4 months

DiegoNT

First Grade
People might of loved the flashy, brilliant football souths placed last year from guys like inglis, luke, keary, walker and Johnston, but a lot of that football way played on the back of the foundations laid by winning the arm wrestle and that grinding simple stuff that guys like tyrell, burgii, Clark reynolds and Sutton did

Rabbits20

Immortal
You know what's more exciting then 'beautiful football? Finals football! If it takes 15 straight round of souths doing nothing but dummy half scoots to get into the finals then I'd be fine with that. The best game of football I've seen in the last 5 years was the roosters vs eagles semi final in 2013 that ended 4-0. It was tough simple football with 2 teams (who I both hate) relying solely on the will to win. Id take that over flashy 'beautiful' football any day

I agree mate.

I don't mind if Souths grind out wins playing simple footy. Just as long as the wins are coming Madge doesn't mind either.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
People might of loved the flashy, brilliant football souths placed last year from guys like inglis, luke, keary, walker and Johnston, but a lot of that football way played on the back of the foundations laid by winning the arm wrestle and that grinding simple stuff that guys like tyrell, burgii, Clark reynolds and Sutton did

When JS was injured last year near final's time it was like a gift from the Gods!
I didn't like seeing JS go down but,let's face the fact,it was a great result for our team, as a much,much smarter & quicker player in Keary got his chance at the perfect time.

Our team was basically transformed o/nite when Keary & Reynolds took control.

We became a multi-dimensional,exciting team instead of a head-down arse-up one.

We struck a balance between the grind & creativity which we pretty much completely lacked prior.JS's absence certainly gave our team the necessary sharp edge that was required to go all the way without total reliance on GI to perform the miracle plays.
We need to maintain this mentality & not go backwards to JS.Can Keary & JS co-exist??Should they have to??

It will be a major disappointment to me if Madge pulls that rein!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
https://youtu.be/AWtCittJyr0

In addition to the above post.

We need to be nurturing a new genuine halves combo from this week on for the long-term.

Reynolds is gone for an extended period & will probably take time to regain his footy field legs & confidence.He can't be seen as our saviour on his return after serious injury.

What happens if Keary goes down for a period in the near future??

We have genuine halves in our ranks that we should play before JS--ie.Cody Walker & Nicholls.Our halves combos should evolve from these 3--Keary,Nicholls,Walker.

My fear is that JS will get his foot back in the door & fate[injury] will take us onto......[see video above].

DiegoNT

First Grade
We have a long term halves combo- reynolds and keary
Anyone else is just a fill in. If Sutton is the best available fill in then pick him. If it's walker or Nicholls then pick them.
We can't worry about anything else but racking up wins at this stage of the season.
Playing players out of position, trying to play 'beautiful football', experimenting, giving young guys a go ( A.J at fullback for example), has to be put on the back burner for now. Wins and making the finals has to be priority 1.

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
When JS was injured last year near final's time it was like a gift from the Gods!
I didn't like seeing JS go down but,let's face the fact,it was a great result for our team, as a much,much smarter & quicker player in Keary got his chance at the perfect time.

Our team was basically transformed o/nite when Keary & Reynolds took control.

We became a multi-dimensional,exciting team instead of a head-down arse-up one.

We struck a balance between the grind & creativity which we pretty much completely lacked prior.JS's absence certainly gave our team the necessary sharp edge that was required to go all the way without total reliance on GI to perform the miracle plays.
We need to maintain this mentality & not go backwards to JS.Can Keary & JS co-exist??Should they have to??

It will be a major disappointment to me if Madge pulls that rein!!

John Sutton has his place within the team. The reason why he isn't good at five-eight is because he is too technically too limited. In saying that, what he is good at is playing direct, straightening the play up, drawing in defenders on that left hand side and creating over laps. When he comes back, he will make his presence felt.

In saying that, I think we need to look closely at the games we have lost and be very careful not to generalise. There seems to be this view in footy, not just with Souths but in general, that if you lose your halfback it is the automatically attributed to any loss of form. Yes I do feel that we are missing Adam Reynolds' kicking game and last tackle options but that IS NOT the reason why we have been in poor form. Over the last three games, there are three common denominators behind each of the losses. The first of these is our edge of the ruck defence, which has been absolutely atrocious; I don't know where this has come from, as it certainly hasn't been a problem before in Madge's tenure, but for whatever reason is has become a problem. Markers are going the wrong way, caught out of position, careless when it comes to making tackles etc. It needs to improve! As a flow on from this is our discipline. People will say that we are not conceding horrendous amounts of penalties but that is irrelevant in my view. The key is when and where you give the penalties away. Basically, we are giving penalties away in the wrong areas of the field and bad times during the game. Also, some of the penalties we have given away are blatantly stupid ones! Ben Lowe is a serial offender and even Issac Luke at times can be a bit petulant. Consequently, this has restricted our ability to apply pressure on our opposition. The final major problem that is costing us in games is our completion rate. It is horrendous! I've had a look at the statistics and we have only completed 80%+ of our sets twice this season. That needs to improve! We cannot and will not win football games if we turn over as much ball as we did against the raiders! Part of improving this comes down to simplifying things. We did that against the raiders in the first half - one or two passes out from the ruck and just bulldoze your way forward. Whats wrong with that? It seems to me that we are trying to play too elaborately with these sweeping set moves and have gone away from what has worked for us in the past - isolating small players in the line and having our big forwards run at them; its almost as if someone has told the players that Alex Johnston is the only player who is allowed to score tries.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that all this talk about halves combinations, who should play five-eight, who should play half-back, whose got the better kicking game, where should Greg Inglis play etc. etc. is only semi-relevant and is not indicative of the bigger picture. The first and most important thing to do when your struggling for form and/or missing key players is to make yourself hard to beat and we haven't done that; we're far too easy to play against. We need to look at the Dragons and take a leaf out of their book. They probably have the least talented playing roster in the NRL but what Paul McGregor has done is made his team hard to play against by being defensively sound in particular but also by respecting possession, keeping things simple and not making the sorts of mistakes that I have mentioned - that is why they have been winning games.

hurricane57

Juniors
Anyone else is just a fill in. If Sutton is the best available fill in then pick him. If it's walker or Nicholls then pick them.
We can't worry about anything else but racking up wins at this stage of the season.
Playing players out of position, trying to play 'beautiful football', experimenting, giving young guys a go ( A.J at fullback for example), has to be put on the back burner for now. Wins and making the finals has to be priority 1.

Absolutely nothing is set in concrete - you and everybody else can fool yourselves but nothing stays the same - to expect Reynolds to waltz back into the half back role after such a lay off is not going to happen.

I don't expect 'beautiful football' but I do expect to see a bit of a game, not some people getting payed a stack of money because they are good at one position only to see them switched to another position. Johnston must have had some real brilliant games at fullback against some real weak opposition because, going from what I've seen against the Raiders and some other fill in games, he doesn't have a clue. (I will agree he's very good at taking high balls and put him in a gap he's brilliant). He doesn't have a clue position-ally
particularly defensively.

Wingers are a dime a dozen so come contract time it will be interesting to see what happens.,

DiegoNT

First Grade
Keary wasn't an overnight thing. We brought him along slowly throughout 2013-2014. He'd come on here and there of the bench when games were wrapped up, or play a little bit of hooker in the middle of games. We were able to give him a taste and some experience because we were winning games and dominating. It paid dividends come last year's finals but it wasn't an overnight success. We were already winning games so we could give the likes of keary and aj a chance. I'd like to see Sutton back at 5/8 to bring some stability and pressure of keary and maybe someone like walker on the bench to bring them on slowly, but to put a rookie half in a failing team is a recipe for disaster.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Absolutely nothing is set in concrete - you and everybody else can fool yourselves but nothing stays the same - to expect Reynolds to waltz back into the half back role after such a lay off is not going to happen.

I don't expect 'beautiful football' but I do expect to see a bit of a game, not some people getting payed a stack of money because they are good at one position only to see them switched to another position. Johnston must have had some real brilliant games at fullback against some real weak opposition because, going from what I've seen against the Raiders and some other fill in games, he doesn't have a clue. (I will agree he's very good at taking high balls and put him in a gap he's brilliant). He doesn't have a clue position-ally
particularly defensively.

Wingers are a dime a dozen so come contract time it will be interesting to see what happens.,

I actually agree with everything you say
I don't think Reynolds will just waltz back in, but his tough and he will be back eventually, he is the long term future for us
People think putting Sutton at 5-8 is a backward step, but maybe that's not a bad thing. We don't need a replacement for reynolds, we just need someone to fill in while his gone (even if that's for the season). If Sutton is the best available fill in, then pick him. Looking to far into the future is a mistake
Looking to far into the future is where we are going wrong with johnston. He may one day be the australian fullback but right now his average. His a great winger right now, so that's where he should play right now. We have the best fullback in the comp right now, so inglis should be at fullback right now.

souths_pride

Juniors
Keary wasn't an overnight thing. We brought him along slowly throughout 2013-2014. He'd come on here and there of the bench when games were wrapped up, or play a little bit of hooker in the middle of games. We were able to give him a taste and some experience because we were winning games and dominating. It paid dividends come last year's finals but it wasn't an overnight success. We were already winning games so we could give the likes of keary and aj a chance. I'd like to see Sutton back at 5/8 to bring some stability and pressure of keary and maybe someone like walker on the bench to bring them on slowly, but to put a rookie half in a failing team is a recipe for disaster.

It also goes completely against the way that Michael Maguire likes to operate. Generally speaking, he likes to throw in rookies/young players around Round 13-15 after we have gotten a few wins under our belts so that their is less pressure on them; I was actually surprised that he handed a debut to young Gray on the weekend! I kind of got the feeling that it was a bit of a panic selection.

doyen

Bench

Keary wasn't an o/niter,I agree, but he did show up JS's substantial limitations as a 5/8, basically o/nite!!

Sths were transformed into an o/nite hit by comparison after JS's demise late last year.

I believe that twist of fate was the difference in Sths being triumphant in 2014!!

I'll be surprised to see JS return to the halves--Madge made a very conscious decision to move him permanently to the pack.I hope he sticks to that decision & promotes either Nicholls or Cody Walker.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench

Making the finals may be a priority for Madge & others.But it is not mine.

Some of the greatest thrills I've had watching the Rabbitohs for over 60 yrs has been when they were "also rans."

Even when Sths were wooden spooners in 2003/04 & 06 just to witness them occasionally knock over a tall poppy was a huge thrill.

This is going back a long way; but I do remember Sths knocking off Manly in the last minutes at Redfern--Michael Pobjie[Sth's winger] took an intercept of a Bobby Fulton cut-out pass & raced 90 yards to win the game for us on the bell.Manly were the reigning champs & Sths cellar-dwellers.
The crowd went mad--dancing in the streets for hours--Sths fans were elated--I walked home from Redfern to Botany with a horde of others on the greatest high;10kms;a massive time for us diehard supporters!

This was a huge thing for Sths to beat Manly----that whole season was worth it for that moment--we only won a few games that year.

Winning is not the be all & end all---especially not to the detriment of the great game of RL!!!!

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Sths were transformed into an o/nite hit by comparison after JS's demise late last year.

I believe that twist of fate was the difference in Sths being triumphant in 2014!!

I agree with that second part keary to 5-8 was the final adjustment to help us to the title

But to say souths weren't a hit before that? We were already a good team before that, we had been to 2 preliminary finals and already qualified for a top 4 position before keary's switch

I to used to enjoy the upset wins when we were a poor team, those few wins in those years when we were wooden spooners were amazing, I get what your saying there, But these last 3 seasons have been something else, to challenge for titles and to win one beats out everything else.

Some people like the flashy stuff, long range tries, good ball movement etc, but personally I get a lot of joy when teams Can do the little things right. There's a lot of beauty in good kick chases, reynolds getting repeat sets, forwards getting fast play the balls leading to simple tries, strong defence constricting the opposition deep in their own half, dominating tackles. All these things are as good as a inglis 80m try. But that's just a personal opinion and each to their own I guess

doyen

Bench
My worry is that RL is dying on the vine & is just a shadow of what the game is truly meant to be.
I know things must change & evolve.But RL is so different now to what it was.

Any player on the paddock throws the ball into the scrum---no competition for the ball in the scrum.Chuck it straight out the back of the scrum.

Props at first receiver from the scrum.
Hookers who never HOOK!
No competition for the ball in the play the ball.
No value placed on ball security.
Kicking across field & praying for a lucky break.
Players diving!!
Players being called back 30 to 40 ms to play the ball.

RL is at its lowest ebb,IMO--& I've watched it for 60yrs.

I notice even the commentators are now openly guffawing at the game.

This saddens me but it is justified--the game has become a laughing stock!!

souths_pride

Juniors
My worry is that RL is dying on the vine & is just a shadow of what the game is truly meant to be.
I know things must change & evolve.But RL is so different now to what it was.

Any player on the paddock throws the ball into the scrum---no competition for the ball in the scrum.Chuck it straight out the back of the scrum.

Props at first receiver from the scrum.
Hookers who never HOOK!
No competition for the ball in the play the ball.
No value placed on ball security.
Kicking across field & praying for a lucky break.
Players diving!!
Players being called back 30 to 40 ms to play the ball.

RL is at its lowest ebb,IMO--& I've watched it for 60yrs.

I notice even the commentators are now openly guffawing at the game.

This saddens me but it is justified--the game has become a laughing stock!!
I think the biggest problem for the game at the moment is referees and the speed of the game. I can hack scrums being uncontested and all the new trends in the game but I think the over-involvement of the referees hurts it as does the amount of stoppages. The biggest reason why 70s, 80s and 90s footy is so good to watch is because the games flowed freely. If the game is to move forward, we need work on ways of decreasing the influences referees have on the game. A good start would be to ban the video referee from all matters except those related to tries. With regards to grubby play that the referees miss - leave that to the match review committees. As soon as you do that, the spectacle will flow more freely.

doyen

Bench
I think the biggest problem for the game at the moment is referees and the speed of the game. I can hack scrums being uncontested and all the new trends in the game but I think the over-involvement of the referees hurts it as does the amount of stoppages. The biggest reason why 70s, 80s and 90s footy is so good to watch is because the games flowed freely. If the game is to move forward, we need work on ways of decreasing the influences referees have on the game. A good start would be to ban the video referee from all matters except those related to tries. With regards to grubby play that the referees miss - leave that to the match review committees. As soon as you do that, the spectacle will flow more freely.

The referees are a huge problem but I don't blame them too much because they're not refereeing Rugby League any more.

I know this may sound very harsh but what's being dished up now definitely isn't RL!!!

Actually,SL [Spectacle League] would be a good name for the present "whatever it is."

SL needs to take a good hard look in the mirror & make an honest assessment of the mess; & if necessary even follow the true LAWS/RULES of the game!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
I agree with that second part keary to 5-8 was the final adjustment to help us to the title

But to say souths weren't a hit before that? We were already a good team before that, we had been to 2 preliminary finals and already qualified for a top 4 position before keary's switch

I to used to enjoy the upset wins when we were a poor team, those few wins in those years when we were wooden spooners were amazing, I get what your saying there, But these last 3 seasons have been something else, to challenge for titles and to win one beats out everything else.

Some people like the flashy stuff, long range tries, good ball movement etc, but personally I get a lot of joy when teams Can do the little things right. There's a lot of beauty in good kick chases, reynolds getting repeat sets, forwards getting fast play the balls leading to simple tries, strong defence constricting the opposition deep in their own half, dominating tackles. All these things are as good as a inglis 80m try. But that's just a personal opinion and each to their own I guess

Sths were,to use a music analogy, in the Top 40 previously to JS's demise but they weren't really very good listening--maybe a top 10 hit,at best!!
TBH,I didn't enjoy watching their over-structured,over-disciplined,head-down & arse-up approach.
When JS went down we went to No.1 on the charts with a bullet!!
And Sths were much more viewer friendly--smarter,more flair.

I don't ever want to watch that previous style again but my gut-feeling is that I'll have it foisted upon me.
Let's see what evolves--as I said,I hope JS remains in the forwards;Stewart's injury may affect this selection!!

alien

Referee
:shock:

Rabbitohs Get Reynolds Boost
Andrew Johns has mail that halfback Adam Reynolds could be back for Souths' Round Nine match against the Dragons
Posted: 29 April, 2015 by Triple M NRL

adam-reynolds-rabbitohs-628.JPG

Adam Reynolds in action during a Rabbitohs training session at Redfern Oval in March Photo: Getty Images

In some breaking news, Andrew Johns has told Triple M that Souths halfback Adam Reynolds could be back for the club's Round Nine match against the Dragons. (See full story below including audio.)

Souths and Roosters have suffered consecutive losses in recent weeks. We asked Triple M experts Sterlo and Joey whether fans have any cause for concern.

Rabbitohs
Joey Johns believes the Rabbitohs have nothing to worry about despite the heavy injury toll.

"[I'm hearing] Adam Reynolds could [be back] for that Dragons game [in Round Nine]," he said, on Triple M's Rush Hour.

Souths have a winning record of 0-3 without Reynolds this year, which just goes to show how important he is to the team.

"It shows the kicking game, and how important it is. [Souths] has a huge pack and if you're not putting that polish on the end of that set it puts so much pressure on your forwards. And it's showing. The kicking game is so important."

Adam Reynolds has been out since Round Five's heated clash against the Bulldogs, where he injured his knee in the final moments of the match.

While he did not require surgery, he was not expected back until around Round 11 so this would be a huge boost for the injury-plagued Bunnies

Second-rower Glenn Stewart (thumb), backrower Kyle Turner (neck), and key utility John Sutton (jaw) are all nursing injuries, while centre Dylan Walker (knee) and Luke Keary (foot) have withdrawn from the City side to face Country in Wagga Wagga on Sunday.

adam-reynolds-rabbitohs-628.jpg

Adam Reynolds limps off the field earlier this year Photo: Getty Images

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...reynolds-could-make-early-return-from-injury/

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://youtu.be/AWtCittJyr0

In addition to the above post.

We need to be nurturing a new genuine halves combo from this week on for the long-term.

Reynolds is gone for an extended period & will probably take time to regain his footy field legs & confidence.He can't be seen as our saviour on his return after serious injury.

What happens if Keary goes down for a period in the near future??

We have genuine halves in our ranks that we should play before JS--ie.Cody Walker & Nicholls.Our halves combos should evolve from these 3--Keary,Nicholls,Walker.

My fear is that JS will get his foot back in the door & fate[injury] will take us onto......[see video above].

Nicholls should get a chance at some stage but Sutton has very good experience and leadership at 6 and Madge might choose to play him there for the calming and steadying influence he offers.

I just hope that when Sutton comes back and if he goes ordinary for 1-2 weeks at 5/8 that people don't bag him out. John has already missed 2 months of footy and in whatever position he plays in on his return he will be rusty and short of a gallop.

Rabbits20

Immortal
:shock:

Rabbitohs Get Reynolds Boost
Andrew Johns has mail that halfback Adam Reynolds could be back for Souths' Round Nine match against the Dragons
Posted: 29 April, 2015 by Triple M NRL

adam-reynolds-rabbitohs-628.JPG

Adam Reynolds in action during a Rabbitohs training session at Redfern Oval in March Photo: Getty Images

In some breaking news, Andrew Johns has told Triple M that Souths halfback Adam Reynolds could be back for the club's Round Nine match against the Dragons. (See full story below including audio.)

Souths and Roosters have suffered consecutive losses in recent weeks. We asked Triple M experts Sterlo and Joey whether fans have any cause for concern.

Rabbitohs
Joey Johns believes the Rabbitohs have nothing to worry about despite the heavy injury toll.

"[I'm hearing] Adam Reynolds could [be back] for that Dragons game [in Round Nine]," he said, on Triple M's Rush Hour.

Souths have a winning record of 0-3 without Reynolds this year, which just goes to show how important he is to the team.

"It shows the kicking game, and how important it is. [Souths] has a huge pack and if you're not putting that polish on the end of that set it puts so much pressure on your forwards. And it's showing. The kicking game is so important."

Adam Reynolds has been out since Round Five's heated clash against the Bulldogs, where he injured his knee in the final moments of the match.

While he did not require surgery, he was not expected back until around Round 11 so this would be a huge boost for the injury-plagued Bunnies

Second-rower Glenn Stewart (thumb), backrower Kyle Turner (neck), and key utility John Sutton (jaw) are all nursing injuries, while centre Dylan Walker (knee) and Luke Keary (foot) have withdrawn from the City side to face Country in Wagga Wagga on Sunday.

adam-reynolds-rabbitohs-628.jpg

Adam Reynolds limps off the field earlier this year Photo: Getty Images

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...reynolds-could-make-early-return-from-injury/

I'm feeling a bit nervous about that. It would be too much of a risk playing him for the Dragons match. He could fully f**k his knee up and then miss the season.

But Joey talks crap a lot and it most likely won't happen.

If Reynolds is back for Round 11 in just over 3 weeks that would be good.

Latest posts