What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reyno out for 4 months

Rabbits20

Immortal
We have a long term halves combo- reynolds and keary
Anyone else is just a fill in. If Sutton is the best available fill in then pick him. If it's walker or Nicholls then pick them.
We can't worry about anything else but racking up wins at this stage of the season.
Playing players out of position, trying to play 'beautiful football', experimenting, giving young guys a go ( A.J at fullback for example), has to be put on the back burner for now. Wins and making the finals has to be priority 1.

Agree and I'm certain Madge is thinking the same. Madge absolutely hates losing, he just wants to win.

southsport

First Grade
Nicholls should get a chance at some stage but Sutton has very good experience and leadership at 6 and Madge might choose to play him there for the calming and steadying influence he offers.

I just hope that when Sutton comes back and if he goes ordinary for 1-2 weeks at 5/8 that people don't bag him out. John has already missed 2 months of footy and in whatever position he plays in on his return he will be rusty and short of a gallop.

It will be interesting to see what Madge does with Sutto, with Stewart out he will be needed in the forwards.

Rabbits20

Immortal
John Sutton has his place within the team. The reason why he isn't good at five-eight is because he is too technically too limited. In saying that, what he is good at is playing direct, straightening the play up, drawing in defenders on that left hand side and creating over laps. When he comes back, he will make his presence felt.

In saying that, I think we need to look closely at the games we have lost and be very careful not to generalise. There seems to be this view in footy, not just with Souths but in general, that if you lose your halfback it is the automatically attributed to any loss of form. Yes I do feel that we are missing Adam Reynolds' kicking game and last tackle options but that IS NOT the reason why we have been in poor form. Over the last three games, there are three common denominators behind each of the losses. The first of these is our edge of the ruck defence, which has been absolutely atrocious; I don't know where this has come from, as it certainly hasn't been a problem before in Madge's tenure, but for whatever reason is has become a problem. Markers are going the wrong way, caught out of position, careless when it comes to making tackles etc. It needs to improve! As a flow on from this is our discipline. People will say that we are not conceding horrendous amounts of penalties but that is irrelevant in my view. The key is when and where you give the penalties away. Basically, we are giving penalties away in the wrong areas of the field and bad times during the game. Also, some of the penalties we have given away are blatantly stupid ones! Ben Lowe is a serial offender and even Issac Luke at times can be a bit petulant. Consequently, this has restricted our ability to apply pressure on our opposition. The final major problem that is costing us in games is our completion rate. It is horrendous! I've had a look at the statistics and we have only completed 80%+ of our sets twice this season. That needs to improve! We cannot and will not win football games if we turn over as much ball as we did against the raiders! Part of improving this comes down to simplifying things. We did that against the raiders in the first half - one or two passes out from the ruck and just bulldoze your way forward. Whats wrong with that? It seems to me that we are trying to play too elaborately with these sweeping set moves and have gone away from what has worked for us in the past - isolating small players in the line and having our big forwards run at them; its almost as if someone has told the players that Alex Johnston is the only player who is allowed to score tries.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that all this talk about halves combinations, who should play five-eight, who should play half-back, whose got the better kicking game, where should Greg Inglis play etc. etc. is only semi-relevant and is not indicative of the bigger picture. The first and most important thing to do when your struggling for form and/or missing key players is to make yourself hard to beat and we haven't done that; we're far too easy to play against. We need to look at the Dragons and take a leaf out of their book. They probably have the least talented playing roster in the NRL but what Paul McGregor has done is made his team hard to play against by being defensively sound in particular but also by respecting possession, keeping things simple and not making the sorts of mistakes that I have mentioned - that is why they have been winning games.

I agree with that. Good points in that post Souths Pride.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It will be interesting to see what Madge does with Sutto, with Stewart out he will be needed in the forwards.

Yeah he's certainly got some tough decisions to make.

If Sutto plays at 5/8 I reckon the back row would be McQueen, Grevsmuhl and Clark.

If Sutto plays back row, Clark drops back to the bench.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Our form slump started against the Eels (before Reynolds was hurt) and we didn't play that great in the Dogs game which we were lucky to win. We haven't won since.

Maybe the early season start has caught up.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It also goes completely against the way that Michael Maguire likes to operate. Generally speaking, he likes to throw in rookies/young players around Round 13-15 after we have gotten a few wins under our belts so that their is less pressure on them; I was actually surprised that he handed a debut to young Gray on the weekend! I kind of got the feeling that it was a bit of a panic selection.

Well his only other choice was Millard and he's been quite ordinary.

So I can understand why he gave Gray a chance.

Maybe Madge wanted Millard to see he has to work harder on his game and it was a wake up call that you have to earn your spot in our 17 through consistent hard work.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Our form slump started against the Eels (before Reynolds was hurt) and we didn't play that great in the Dogs game which we were lucky to win. We haven't won since.

Maybe the early season start has caught up.

Yeah, well there was always going to be a slump at some stage and honestly it hasn't been a surprise to me as I expected it before the start of Origin period.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Sorry i haven't been on recently lads, internet connection has been deplorable since the storm on saturday.

Anyway apparently Triple M have reported Reyno could be back against the Dragons next Round which would be amazing.

southsport

First Grade
Sorry i haven't been on recently lads, internet connection has been deplorable since the storm on saturday.

Anyway apparently Triple M have reported Reyno could be back against the Dragons next Round which would be amazing.

Yeah, we heard that, as long as he doesn't come back too early.

hurricane57

Juniors
Yeah, we heard that, as long as he doesn't come back too early.

man o man .....thats great news.....if its true.

Southie old chap, your information's:eek: is always spot on, is AJ's injury the same leg as the one he injured first up, back when he first left juniors and Souths signed Sandow, or is a totally different injury.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Yeah the weather has been bad.

If you want to you could make up a 3-2-1 thread for Raiders game even though Souths didn't play too well.

I don't want Reynolds to come back if he is not close to 100percent, we cant have him re injuring himself.

southsport

First Grade
man o man .....thats great news.....if its true.

Southie old chap, your information's:eek: is always spot on, is AJ's injury the same leg as the one he injured first up, back when he first left juniors and Souths signed Sandow, or is a totally different injury.

You mean AR.........totally new injury I think.