What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson calls for suburban footy to be axed

BunniesMan

Immortal
And of course everyone ignores Doust agreeing with him.

It is the way of the future.

And what I find interesting is people stubbornly refuse to let go of suburban grounds even though they are economically inefficient because of historical reasons. Yet people have no problem with pissing on historical jerseys and historical clubs. We only have 3 teams that exist from pre WW2. And jerseys change year to year let alone decade to decade.

IMO the team and the jersey are the most important thing, what suburb they play in is a distant third. Yet we're ok with pissing on historic teams like we did to Norths, Wests, Balmain, St George and almost did to Souths. And we're ok with pissing on many iconic historical jerseys.

But the moment someone suggests doing away with rustbacket stadiums, everyone gets hysterical.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
And of course everyone ignores Doust agreeing with him.

It is the way of the future.

And what I find interesting is people stubbornly refuse to let go of suburban grounds even though they are economically inefficient because of historical reasons. Yet people have no problem with pissing on historical jerseys and historical clubs. We only have have 3 teams that exist from pre WW2. And jerseys change year to year let alone decade to decade.

IMO the team and the jersey are the most important thing, what suburb they play in is a distant third. Yet we're ok with pissing on historic teams like we did to Norths, Wests, Balmain, St George and almost did to Souths. And we're ok with pissing on many iconic historical jerseys.

But the moment someone suggests doing away with rustbacket stadiums, everyone gets hysterical.

The best footy i've watched is at the suburban grounds like Parra, Cronulla, Kogarah, Wollongong etc. The 2 sydney stadiums to me don't feel right to watch ya team. It's ok for Roosters, Souths and Bulldogs because they're their HOME stadiums!!!! What sets us apart from the AFL is because we still keep traditional grounds and keep that feel to the game around!

There is nothing better then going to a packed out Parra and cheering on your team!

Or a packed Kogarah against Dragons the atmosphere is awesome.

Go to ANZ and to me the atmosphere is almost non-existent!

How would a crowd look at ANZ for a game between Wests Tigers and Parra at the moment? seriously! both teams not going great and chucking them into a stadium that holds 80k...will you fill it? no.

Have it at Cambelltown or Parra and those few fans will almost fill the thing and make the atmosphere that much better!

Keep Rugby League how it is!

Richardson is clearly looking to get himself in the papers. He got his wish. A shame his narrow minded views are so predictable

cleary89

Coach
Sure has helped the bunnies crowds... Arent they averaging 13k? Giving away 8k tickets tomorrow night to schools, plus the easter show deal.

JoeD

First Grade
Consistently sell out (ie 7-8 games in a row during regular seasn) and then think about putting prices up and then think about moving to a bigger stadium.

I thought Richo was all for a return to Redfern?

I don't think the atmosphere is so bad at homebush/SFS so long as there is 25k plus. Happy to keep playing at the suburban grounds so long as they no one bitches about it taking 30 mins to get a beer at Parra, or not having an undercover seat at Brookvale because there isn't the funds available for 10 home grounds for 9 Sydney teams.

sharknows

Bench
What is good for Souths (in Richo's eyes) isn't necessarily good for the NRL as a whole. Seems a case of"we don't have our own home ground so why should anyone else. Pull your head in Richo you've shown that you have loyalty to no team only the almighty dollar.

bobmar28

Bench
Parramatta stadium is ok but the idea of people standing on hills to watch the footy belongs in the past.

nqboy

First Grade
Typically biased agenda from Richo. Ignores the weaknesses in his argument, the soulless nature of the SA vacuum and the distance from the playing field for spectators, the lack of transport to the SFS and so on, and hopes no-one will notice.

How bad does a crowd of 15K look at SA compared to at Leichardt, Kogarah etc.?

And let's compare apples with apples, the siting, transport and so on of SA and the SFS are very poor when put beside the the central location and easy transport to and from the Victorian grounds.

firechild

First Grade
Parramatta stadium is ok but the idea of people standing on hills to watch the footy belongs in the past.

For those who want a seat, there are seats. For those of us that enjoy sitting on the hill, I want to see hills retained.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I like how he says the modern fan wants good transport etc

There's the rub Richo, transport to the grounds is f**ked

The train line is a 30 minute up hill walk from sfs

And trains never run direct to ANZ anyway

Does he really think Manly fans will go to sfs with no trains and no parking

natheel

Coach
plus @bunniesman if this came out of a ceo from any other club other than souths you wouldn't agree, u r a dickhead

roarr

Juniors
Hmm, I can't say I agree with Richo.

Maybe if the ARLC owned a conveniently located, retractable roof, 40-50k seat stadium that is accessible by public transport and easy for all teams... but until that day, I don't think Stadium Australia and SFS are gonna cut it. I hate when people use the argument... "Oh AFL have done it, look at them now". There in f**king melbourne for f**ks sake... they have 2 first-class stadiums in the middle of the city serviced by efficient public transport.

I'd say by about 2020... the suburban stadiums will be downgraded to maybe a bi-annual "heritage" round, or each round can be a "back to leichardt/kogarah" round etc.