What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson calls for suburban footy to be axed

Frailty

First Grade
This is an absolutely absurd suggestion that has been made with very little knowledge about Melbourne and the AFL system. The first thing I noticed when I moved down here was out how close all the clubs actually were physically located.

On the eastern side of Melbourne, you have Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Carlton all within the space that would be between Darlinghurst and the City. They are that close together. Not to mention St. Kilda, Melbourne, North Melbourne, and the Western Bulldogs (Footscray).

The two stadium system works for the AFL because you have all these clubs so close together that fans can easily travel to either the MCG or Etihad Stadium and it still be close to the home territory. Note that Geelong plays out of it's own stadium - given that Geelong is 45 mins from the City.

I'm sorry that Richo feels like South Sydney fans should travel to Western Sydney to have a 'home game'. I'm sorry for the supporters of Wests Tigers supporters when they have to travel to the SFS in the city for their 'home game'. This doesn't work in the Sydney area, thus why GWS will be playing out of their own stadium and not the SCG - like why the Suns aren't playing out of the Gabba. These areas are too broad to centralise the games into two grounds like they can in Melbourne.

BTW, I guarantee it is better financially for Cronulla to play out of the ground that they own.

drake

First Grade
Stupid idea. Olympic park is a hole, and ANZ stadium is soulless. I work at OP and it's a pain in the arse to get to.
Leaving the suburban grounds will be the nail in the coffin of tradition.

gronkathon

First Grade
I agree that large drawing games should be moved, I like the current split WT have as it suits alot of peoples needs but I never want to abandon suburban football. It is a tradition in families

firechild

First Grade
I like how he says the modern fan wants good transport etc

There's the rub Richo, transport to the grounds is f**ked

The train line is a 30 minute up hill walk from sfs

And trains never run direct to ANZ anyway

Does he really think Manly fans will go to sfs with no trains and no parking

Manly fans don't generally catch trains, there are no train lines on the northern beaches.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Good and accurate post Frailty.

If there was a stadium of 40k plus in the outer west of Sydney it might work, but to expect Penrith and Tigers fans from Campbelltown to trek to the soulless cavern of ANZ every week is ridiculous. Same with sharks and eagle fans negotiating their way to the SFS. I do believe that big games should be moved to the bigger grounds but condensing games to 2 stadiums is ridiculous.

And note to Richo: the rabbletohs move to historic homebush hasn't seen your crowds become the envy of other clubs. The only time souths get a big crowd is when fans of other clubs outnumber them 2:1. This will again be evident against the bulldogs.

thorson1987

Coach
If we were to do what the AFL does (we shouldn't) then the raiders should also play at ANZ.

Apparently Canberra is part of western Sydney, well at least that's what the AFL tells me.

So much for Souths and their much vaunted sense of tradition.

Just because they don't have a home ground doesn't mean we all need to sacrifice ours.

BranVan3000

Coach
It would be really good but there are major transport issues surrounding the two major stadiums right now. Parking sucks at Moore Park, they need to get the light rail done for once from Central to the stadium. The train lines to Moore Park need to be direct. And ANZ is just shit. If they could pack it out to 30 k - 40 k every week it might finally result in something resembling atmosphere but the only way that would happen is weekly double-headers IMO

I think the game would benefit from this move, but its naive to overlook that the reason it works in Melbourne is because its a fifteen minute walk between stadiums. They are all mostly the CBD, or a short tram ride away

BranVan3000

Coach
This is an absolutely absurd suggestion that has been made with very little knowledge about Melbourne and the AFL system. The first thing I noticed when I moved down here was out how close all the clubs actually were physically located.

On the eastern side of Melbourne, you have Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Carlton all within the space that would be between Darlinghurst and the City. They are that close together. Not to mention St. Kilda, Melbourne, North Melbourne, and the Western Bulldogs (Footscray).

The two stadium system works for the AFL because you have all these clubs so close together that fans can easily travel to either the MCG or Etihad Stadium and it still be close to the home territory. Note that Geelong plays out of it's own stadium - given that Geelong is 45 mins from the City.

I'm sorry that Richo feels like South Sydney fans should travel to Western Sydney to have a 'home game'. I'm sorry for the supporters of Wests Tigers supporters when they have to travel to the SFS in the city for their 'home game'. This doesn't work in the Sydney area, thus why GWS will be playing out of their own stadium and not the SCG - like why the Suns aren't playing out of the Gabba. These areas are too broad to centralise the games into two grounds like they can in Melbourne.

BTW, I guarantee it is better financially for Cronulla to play out of the ground that they own.
Ultimately I think Souths will move back to SFS, hopefully

juro

Bench
Like others have said, Homebush just isn't good enough. Sure, it's got the capacity but that is the only thing going for it. If we had a modern 40k+ stadium built to suit rugby league needs (ie not an Olympic athletics stadium) in a suitable location for the clubs, I am sure they would be happy to use it and the fans would be happy to attend. Homebush is not the answer!

Lack of transport to the SFS? Every train stops at central, buses directly to the game from central, taxi stands and buses from the eastern areas, how much more god damn transport do you need to get there?

thorson1987

Coach
Lack of transport to the SFS? Every train stops at central, buses directly to the game from central, taxi stands and buses from the eastern areas, how much more god damn transport do you need to get there?

I wouldn't mind a plane from my door to right outside the stadium. Or even parachute in.

franklin2323

Immortal
But the moment someone suggests doing away with rustbacket stadiums, everyone gets hysterical.

Clearly you don't attend either ground often. ANZ needs to be rectangle full time. Viewing is terrible. So far away. SFS is a bastard to get too. That hill a disgrace. Buses too long a wait. Parking leaving can take an hour.

Most suburban grounds actually have pretty good facilities. Only LO & Brookie don't but Brookie got an upgrade so might be better now. The atmosphere at ANZ is like a funeral compared to suburbian grounds.

BranVan3000

Coach
Transport is a weak excuse but one I hear alot. A more legitimate excuse is the abysmal parking facilities at Moore Park. It takes forever to get in and out. I don't get why they don't widen the road leading into and out of the stadium, that'd be a major step in easing the congestion

The only time parking is a problem is on anzac day when there's 30,000 people.

Transport is no excuse
The hill is certainly no excuse, don't be a lazy prick
Parking if you're willing to pay is really simple

Latest posts