What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson calls for suburban footy to be axed

I'd say the opposite should happen. If your Sydney cub can't play in or even near its own territory then it doesn't belong in the comp.

And if punters want new stadia then why does the "Pride of the League" draw such dismal crowds?

Frailty

First Grade
To put everything in perspective for people the following AFL teams can fit in the same area taken by the Roosters (and maybe some of of Souths Territory):

Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs.

MattJ

Juniors
Most Souths supporters dont like Homebush, I think Richo is just trying to publically convince a few members into thinking we have a great deal and it's the way of the future.
Maybe it will be one day, but at the moment, suburban grounds hold an important place and should be kept in regular use until the point they are no longer sufficient.
That time is probably a long, long way off yet.

Goddo

Bench
How could the NRL rationalise stadiums? Only real options are

some sort of Parramatta-Liverpool 40k stadium shared by Tigers, Bulldogs, Eels... but Penrith is too remote for them.. somewhere around 30 games (some will still be at Leichhardt/Parra) - but to do that you are retiring ANZ, making it a complete white elephant, retiring regional stadiums in Campbelltown, Parramatta and Leichhardt. Hard to see the fans going for that, or the state government wrt ANZ. Would be something like $250M plus land to build plus transport infrastructure. Not going to happen.

get St George and Cronulla at the same 30k ground on the Georges river - 18 games. Won't work as it alienates both sets of fans, no such land exists, and its only for 18 games anually which probably won't sell out. Again, would cost around $150-200M, plus land costs.

Shift Souths back to SFS. No easy options for Penrith, Manly and Cronulla. But none of that works without the public infrastructure such as transport existing.

Throw away line from an old fat 50uff$ fan who knows nothing.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I don’t think suburban grounds should be ditched altogether but I do think some of the bigger/higher drawing games should be moved to the bigger stadiums.

the lack of transport to the SFS and so on

Transport to the SFS is fine. Every single train route stops at central and there are frequent buses on game day.

Parking is easy and quick to get out for the lower drawing games.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Until every suburban ground in the NRL is sold out, every week, then this is really a non-issue.

I am in favour of moving the bigger matches to the bigger stadiums but there is simply not enough demand to switch from a suburban ground to a 80,000 seat concrete dump.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Until every suburban ground in the NRL is sold out, every week, then this is really a non-issue.

I am in favour of moving the bigger matches to the bigger stadiums but there is simply not enough demand to switch from a suburban ground to a 80,000 seat concrete dump.

Nail on head.

DC_fan

Coach
It's a sign of the future in more ways then one.

My team, Souths play out of ANZ. The only problem I have with the stadium is that it is not a good viewing ground. I find myself watching the big screen more often then I do the game. The stadium is easy to get to with trains about 200 meters away. I get plenty of cover from any rain, though not while walking from the train station. It's an easy stadium to get in and out of. Outside the viewing I don't see many if any negatives.

A couple of weeks back I watched my Rabbitohs play the Panthers at Centrebet Stadium. That is a great viewing ground, as to is Parramatta Stadium and other smaller Suburban grounds. The problem with these grounds are that they are small, uncomfortable and not he easiest of grounds to get to, especially with parking. If teams like Penrith want to expand their supporters base then you can't do it with a ground that holds such a small number.

Do teams lose their local identity when they play outside their area?

I am not sure they do. Souths are still the South Sydney Rabbitohs even though they have not played out of Redfern in a very long time.

It's also possible the move to having the Sydney teams play out of just two grounds may make it easier in the long term to cut the number of teams playing in Sydney.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Lack of transport to the SFS? Every train stops at central, buses directly to the game from central, taxi stands and buses from the eastern areas, how much more god damn transport do you need to get there?

qft.

People complaining about public transport to games can't be much of a fan. God forbid you'd have to walk 500 metres or so.

Good and accurate post Frailty.

If there was a stadium of 40k plus in the outer west of Sydney it might work, but to expect Penrith and Tigers fans from Campbelltown to trek to the soulless cavern of ANZ every week is ridiculous. Same with sharks and eagle fans negotiating their way to the SFS. I do believe that big games should be moved to the bigger grounds but condensing games to 2 stadiums is ridiculous.

And note to Richo: the rabbletohs move to historic homebush hasn't seen your crowds become the envy of other clubs. The only time souths get a big crowd is when fans of other clubs outnumber them 2:1. This will again be evident against the bulldogs.

:lol: They already do for 7-8 homes games a year (4 to Leichardt and 3-4 to the SFS/SCG). I assure you that a drive to Homebush from Cambietown is much more convenient than a trip to and from the city or inner west.

As an Eels supporter, I think we have one of the best suburban grounds, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if the club made the move to Homebush, which IMO isn't as soulless as everyone makes out.

I think most clubs would increase their attendance by moving to either the SFS or Homebush, because shock horror, fans don't just live in one location. Parra, the Doggies, Saints, WT and Souths fans are scattered all over the city, not just in a 2km radium of their current home ground. Penrith, Manly and Cronulla would be the exceptions I would think.

Also consider that if 4-5 clubs used Homebush regulalry, there would be more "stadium" members. This could potentially increase crowds because rugby league fans might turn up to watch games not featuring their own side because they are member and already have tickets (similar to stadim members casualling attending Swannies and Waratahs games out there because they want to attend the event, not necessarily just to support a particular team.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The best footy i've watched is at the suburban grounds like Parra, Cronulla, Kogarah, Wollongong etc. The 2 sydney stadiums to me don't feel right to watch ya team. It's ok for Roosters, Souths and Bulldogs because they're their HOME stadiums!!!! What sets us apart from the AFL is because we still keep traditional grounds and keep that feel to the game around!

There is nothing better then going to a packed out Parra and cheering on your team!

Or a packed Kogarah against Dragons the atmosphere is awesome.

Go to ANZ and to me the atmosphere is almost non-existent!

How would a crowd look at ANZ for a game between Wests Tigers and Parra at the moment? seriously! both teams not going great and chucking them into a stadium that holds 80k...will you fill it? no.

Have it at Cambelltown or Parra and those few fans will almost fill the thing and make the atmosphere that much better!

Keep Rugby League how it is!
Traditional grounds. It could be argued that what sets the AFL apart is they still have 7 of 8 1897 foundation clubs in the comp, and another 5 prewar teams. As well as that the fact that the AFL still places value on keeping their iconic brands by not changing their jerseys routinely and not covering them with ugly sponsorships. I have friends who know little to nothing about the AFL but can pick out almost every team by their jersey, I know casual NRL fans who can't tell the difference between Penrith and Warriors.

Look, I'd understand the argument about the historic value of traditional grounds if the people suggesting it weren't drowning in a sea of hypocrisy. Why did we kill century old teams with ease, why do we refuse to use iconic jerseys for the sake of a few dollars. If people are fine with ugly jerseys with little relevance to history and putting more value in chasing every last dollar than keeping 100 year old brands going, why are they not fine with stadium rationalisation.

It reminds me of family values politicians getting caught with prostitutes. I don't understand how you argue for one after having no problem with the other.

So many people don't have the privilege of supporting the same team their grandfather did. So many casual fans can't recognise some teams because even though they have great iconic jerseys gathering dust in the basement they insist on wearing crap to make a few extra dollars. Those two things are so much more important than what suburbs teams play in.
plus @bunniesman if this came out of a ceo from any other club other than souths you wouldn't agree, u r a dickhead
I've said "2 sydney stadiums are the way of the future" for years. I don't have the energy to search through thousands of my posts for it but I've argued for it since I've been on this forum.
To put everything in perspective for people the following AFL teams can fit in the same area taken by the Roosters (and maybe some of of Souths Territory):

Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs.
Because back when those teams got into the comp that pretty much was all of Melbourne.

But just like not all Souths fans live in Redfern and not all Manly fans live in Manly, the vast majority of Melbourne AFL fans live in the suburbs. They get on a train and get to games. There's no reason it can't happen here.

Danish

Referee
As has been said, clubs should focus more on filling up their existing 20,000 seat suburban grounds before worrying about moving to bigger stadiums.

Even then, if a club could manage to start packing out a stadium with 20,000 people every week, perhaps they could then get some funding together to significantly upgrade these stadiums to increase capacity and also facilities.

I'd much prefer to see stadiums like Kogarah turned into a 30,000 seat bowl (think US college stadiums) than have the dragons make a move to the SFS, for example. The bulldogs could also support such a stadium as well as Souths, although Souths already have the SFS that they can and should play out of.

SharkShocked

Bench
It's a sign of the future in more ways then one.

My team, Souths play out of ANZ. The only problem I have with the stadium is that it is not a good viewing ground. I find myself watching the big screen more often then I do the game. The stadium is easy to get to with trains about 200 meters away. I get plenty of cover from any rain, though not while walking from the train station. It's an easy stadium to get in and out of. Outside the viewing I don't see many if any negatives.

A couple of weeks back I watched my Rabbitohs play the Panthers at Centrebet Stadium. That is a great viewing ground, as to is Parramatta Stadium and other smaller Suburban grounds. The problem with these grounds are that they are small, uncomfortable and not he easiest of grounds to get to, especially with parking. If teams like Penrith want to expand their supporters base then you can't do it with a ground that holds such a small number.

Do teams lose their local identity when they play outside their area?

I am not sure they do. Souths are still the South Sydney Rabbitohs even though they have not played out of Redfern in a very long time.

It's also possible the move to having the Sydney teams play out of just two grounds may make it easier in the long term to cut the number of teams playing in Sydney.

I'm a sharkies fan who made the trip up to the foot of the mountain last weekend and i have to say i didn't find this to be a problem AT ALL.

Apart from getting a bit burnt sitting in the Eastern Stand for a 5:30pm game (my fault for not buying western tickets) i had a great day out and thought that the ground was a brilliantly setup suburban ground.

I had no issues with parking, beer lines, catering, facilities. Not a single issue at all.

I think i came home with 3 less teeth just by being in the area, but other than that it was great.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
:lol: They already do for 7-8 homes games a year (4 to Leichardt and 3-4 to the SFS/SCG). I assure you that a drive to Homebush from Cambietown is much more convenient than a trip to and from the city or inner west.
7-8 games a year is not every week. If all games are played at the 2 stadia mentioned then if you want to see your team play either away or at home you have to travel every time. That is not going to boost crowds.
And thanks for the tip on Sydney travel. :roll:

7-8 games a year is not every week. If all games are played at the 2 stadia mentioned then if you want to see your team play either away or at home you have to travel every time. That is not going to boost crowds.
And thanks for the tip on Sydney travel. :roll:

4 games in campbelltown = 20 games a year elsewhere, meaning that you need to travel ALMOST every week to see your team.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
4 games in campbelltown = 20 games a year elsewhere, meaning that you need to travel ALMOST every week to see your team.

If this comes in to reality everyone will have to travel a considerable distance to see their side play football regardless of whether you're from Claymore, Erina or Mt f**king Druit.

chunk

Juniors
As mentioned we only have two non 'suburban' grounds and one of the them is a complete f**k up.

If they had a Suncorp or one of those awesome grounds like they do overseas where ANZ is then maybe we could play many more games there.

I was so glad when the Tigers got out of there, its a crappy place to watch footy.

Lets build a quality multi purpose 60000 seat stadium in the west of Sydney somewhere. Parra, Tigers, Dogs, soccer etc could all play out of there...dreaming

Last edited:

beave

Coach
The only ground in Sydney that public transport can be legitimately whinged about is Brooky. Maybe Leichardt but that's about it. I swear people are getting lazier and lazier as the years go by.

If this comes in to reality everyone will have to travel a considerable distance to see their side play football regardless of whether you're from Claymore, Erina or Mt f**king Druit.

Your assuming that a teams fans all live next to their home grounds.

What you potentially lose in "home" fans, you would gain in away fans because Homebush is in the centre of Sydney, so you don't have to travel to the "outskirts" to watch their team play in Cronulla, Penrith or Manly. I'd end up going to more games in a year, not less.

TheDalek079

Bench
if you can't get 20k to a ground in your own suburb then you sure ain't gonna get 20k to a stadium on the other side of the city.

richardson is a knob

Latest posts