What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

lingard

Coach
WHOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

It`s finally sunk in! No more Stephen Kearney! And it looks like we`re getting a real coach, who is a proven motivator - exactly what we need right now. I`m so stoked!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
WHOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

It`s finally sunk in! No more Stephen Kearney! And it looks like we`re getting a real coach, who is a proven motivator - exactly what we need right now. I`m so stoked!
You've done it now Lingardio....
The new wave of deathriders will have you in their sights now.
:lol::lol:

Gronk

Staff member
So if he's signed, when will it formally be announced ? Wednesday @11.00am ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm just glad that we'll never drop a ball and miss a tackle anymore...I can't wait!!

by the way, the chairman was on the hill at ringrose today looking very relaxed and jovial...I get the feeling he's been sick seeing the back of bentley and Fordham in the last few days lol

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Stuart to handle Eels, still wants Blues
James MacSmith and Steve Jancentic July 22, 2012
Ricky Stuart remains interested in coaching the NSW State of Origin team next year despite his imminent return to the NRL coaching ranks with Parramatta.
Stuart is set to be unveiled as the new Eels coach this week, his manager John Fordham indicating on Sunday a deal with Parramatta officials is all but done.
Fordham said Stuart's desire to coach NSW had not been a topic of their negotiations but his client still wanted to coach at State of Origin level.
Advertisement

"As it stands at the moment the (NSW) policy effectively rules Ricky out of coaching State of Origin," Fordham said.
"If he is going to coach an NRL club he cannot coach NSW.
"But if that was to change it would be a discussion we would be interested in having.
"It is something for NSW officials to decide. And if they do decide to change it we would be interested in talking but that is something that will be further down the road."
Whether Parramatta would be prepared to lose Stuart for the State of Origin period remains to be seen. But Fordham said that hadn't been a part of negotiations.
"It hasn't really been a factor in our discussions with Parramatta which are at an advanced stage," he said.
"We are moving towards a contract situation. I have had further discussions with Parramatta CEO Bob Bentley today and it is still a matter of dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's.
"I am expecting to see some paperwork tomorrow."
NSWRL General Manager Geoff Carr was in contact with Stuart over the weekend regarding the Blues coaching position, but refused to comment on whether NSW officials were considering altering their recently implemented policy of having a coach without NRL club commitments.
"Yes we've spoken, but I can't elaborate on the fact I've spoken to Ricky," Carr said.
The main candidates for a NSW vacancy would include former players Laurie Daley, Trent Barrett and Brad Fittler, who all have experience coaching at representative level.
Parramatta's under-developed potential as an NRL powerhouse and the club being a good fit for his family are understood to be key factors in Stuart's decision to join the Eels on a long-term deal.
Fordham told AAP Stuart was keen on rebuilding Parramatta into the proud club it once was.
"It is a great opportunity for Ricky," he said.
"Parramatta is a very strong club with a vast network of resources that includes a large junior rugby league.
"Ricky regards his family as the highest priority in his life and does not want to uproot them (to a non-Sydney club)."
Fordham said Parramatta and Stuart were likely to formally announce his position as Stephen Kearney's successor at the Eels in the coming days.
"We are moving towards that," he said.
"It is moving in that direction, but further discussions do need to take place. That might take a day or two."

http://m.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/stuart-to-handle-eels-still-wants-blues-20120722-22i17.html

Well it appears the deal is done

Kornstar

Coach
The lads looked pretty motivated last night Lingard.

Suity

Trying to impress the new coach?

I'm just glad that we'll never drop a ball and miss a tackle anymore...I can't wait!!

by the way, the chairman was on the hill at ringrose today looking very relaxed and jovial...I get the feeling he's been sick seeing the back of bentley and Fordham in the last few days lol

He must know people who sit near me as he is always near there. Last night he wasn't around until about 15 minutes to go and he looked very relaxed.

It was around the time the word was going round that Stuart was a done deal.

Suitman

Post Whore

Possibly.

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't have wanted to try and impress the old coach. The players always had it in them. We all knew that.
Maybe it wasn't ALL Kearney's fault after all.

Suity

natheel

Coach
Exciting times i think. Good to have an experienced NRL/Rep coach.

My guess on the announcement will be Tuesday morning with Fox Sports Monday coverage mentioning it again but instead of most likely they would be saying its done and Stuart will be Eels coach

Someone

Bench
Possibly.

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't have wanted to try and impress the old coach. The players always had it in them. We all knew that.
Maybe it wasn't ALL Kearney's fault after all.

Suity

yeah, you've got to ask if they can do it with no coach at all (sort of), why not every week. injuries havent helped us this year though, we arent getting the same team on the paddock consistently.

Stagger eel

Staff member

He must know people who sit near me as he is always near there. Last night he wasn't around until about 15 minutes to go and he looked very relaxed.

It was around the time the word was going round that Stuart was a done deal.

him and Bentley were together for quite sometime in the stadium office upstairs..

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Eels and Blues for Ricky
Brad Walter
Date July 23, 2012

Chief Rugby League Writer

EB-RickyStuartLW-20120722213729106491-620x349.jpg

Passionate about Origin ... Stuart. Photo: Steve Christo

RICKY STUART has agreed to coach Parramatta for the next three years, but he could still lead NSW's bid to prevent Queensland from an eighth consecutive Origin series win next year.

Stuart's manager, John Fordham, last night confirmed that the Blues coach had an ''in-principle agreement'' with the Eels, and a deal is expected to be formalised as early as today. By accepting Parramatta's lucrative offer, which is believed to be comparable to the $750,000 a season Canterbury paid to lure Des Hasler from Manly, Stuart had been expected to relinquish the Blues job because NSWRL officials insist the Origin coach must be full-time.

However, the Herald understands that an arrangement could be reached for Stuart to oversee the Blues team for one final season, and he has remained in regular contact with NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr about the job.

It is thought that Trent Barrett, who was Stuart's NSW assistant and has been linked to the WARL Pirates job if the Perth team is admitted to the NRL, could take on more responsibility with the Blues in the lead-up to Origin.

The Herald was told that NSWRL officials are yet to consider changing their stance about not allowing Stuart to do both jobs next season as he has not yet advised them that he has accepted the Parramatta job, but a proposal is being formulated.

Under Stuart, the Blues this year went within an ace of ending Queensland's domination, and he is widely considered to be the best man for the job unless Phil Gould agreed to return, which is unlikely.

With two games scheduled for Suncorp Stadium next season, there are concerns that an untried Origin coach such as Barrett, Laurie Daley or Brad Fittler could be thrown to the wolves if they were appointed under such circumstances.

Stuart, who coached the last successful NSW team in 2005, is passionate about Origin, and feels that he has unfinished business after the Blues' 21-20 defeat in the July 4 series decider.

However, after making an initial approach several weeks ago, the Eels tabled an offer at the weekend that was too good for the 45-year-old former Sydney Roosters and Cronulla coach to refuse.

The NSWRL offered Stuart a three-year contract last Tuesday but they were blown out of the water by the money Parramatta was prepared to pay, and Fordham said only the details needed to be finalised.

''We are getting towards a conclusion where Ricky will be with Parramatta,'' said Fordham, who continued negotiations yesterday with Eels chief executive Bob Bentley.

''We haven't finalised the agreement at this stage. We have an in-principle agreement but the fine-tuning of that and the paperwork is not done. I will be in contact with them again tomorrow.''

Fordham confirmed that Stuart was also keen to continue coaching the Blues but said the NSW job was not part of his negotiations with Parramatta officials.

''It is up to the NSWRL to decide that but they understand his passion for Origin so that could be a matter for further down the track,'' he said.

NSWRL chairman John Chalk said it would be disappointing if Stuart were unable to continue with the Blues but his view was that the Origin coach should not have a club job.

''We made an offer on Tuesday, and he hasn't indicated to us one way or the other what he decides to do,'' Chalk said. ''It will be interesting what Parramatta are throwing at him but we can't do much more than what we have done.''

The Herald understands that Daley would be interested in the Blues job if it became available, and Barrett is known to have coaching aspirations.

Stuart has been consistently linked to Canberra but the interest from Parramatta became serious last week after coach Stephen Kearney brought speculation about his future to a head by questioning continual delays in finalising a deal to bring Michael Potter in as his assistant.

Despite Stuart being born in Queanbeyan, next door to Canberra, and considered one of the Raiders' greatest players, Fordham said he wanted to remain in Sydney.

''When the Parramatta opportunity presented itself it was the obvious one for Ricky to take so he and his family can stay here in Sydney,'' Fordham said.

Eels players said yesterday they had not yet been told by the club that Stuart would coach them next season.

Avenger

Immortal
$750k is serious money. However if he attracts some quality players and delivers the premiership that we all crave it will be more than worth it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
$750k is serious money. However if he attracts some quality players and delivers the premiership that we all crave it will be more than worth it.

As long as the salAry cap is managed correctly who cares what is spent on coaches or running the club as long as it doesnt break the club - I am sure if it came to the crunch the leagues club has a pokie or two it can sell

Tony Bongo

Bench
Interesting that SK wanted Mick Potter as an assistant.

Yes it is interesting and it would have been interesting to see how things would have gone with him here. I thought it was a good idea to bring him here and it would have given us an option if SK continued to fail.
It seems at least four members of the board decided to change the direction they were heading in pretty quickly and behind the backs of Kearney and their fellow board members. The appointment of Chris Anderson for a gob smacking 13 days and the negative article about Joe Saad and Rob Sassen is evidence of this.
Two days later the team puts in one of the performances of the season and beats the Storm while Kearney is still coach :crazy:
In my opinion the whole saga has highlighted that we do not have clear long term leadership and direction in this club. Things are done on the fly and there is a serious lack of integrity being demonstrated by some. We are without an experienced Football Manager/CEO and it seems that the tail is still wagging the dog.
Regardless of who the coach is coming in if we don't have a clear chain of command and structure that is adhered to i.e the players answering to the coach who answers to an experienced Football CEO who answers to the board who answers to us the members, we will continue to fail to meet our clubs potential. We cannot continue to have a board that makes decisions regarding the day to day running of our Football team and coaching staff and simply overlook the fact that this aspect of operations needs to be managed by someone with the experience and necessary qualifications. No board in the professional business world has a pseudo CEO that doesn't know how to manage and control the whole business they look after.

Last edited: