What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'll go against the grain and say Sticky may surprise many.

I don't think he ever felt comfortable at parra given he inserted a get out clause in his contract regarding the board. That and the fact their equipment is as old as Sticky, with slightly less rust.

The Raiders are crying out for someone who can instill a bit of steel in their side and fear into their players. Stick can do that.

Chook.

You're a regular at our training sessions are you?

bileduct

Coach
Made the finals once in his last seven years.
LOL, he wasn't even coaching an NRL team for three of those years, and one of them was at Parramatta with a team full of no hopers.

If Ricky Stuart is to blame for Parramatta's woeful performances then I guess he is also to blame for the Roosters being in three Grand Finals in a row, including a premiership win.

eozsmiles

Bench
How low is this guy? All this talk about deregistering players like Ferguson for walking out on a contract, how about this coach? The guy went to Parra, showed nothing but contempt for the players, dismantled the roster and has hung them out to dry at the first sniff of a better offer. Parra and their fans should be furious.

There is no talk of de-registering Ferguson for breaking a contract.
Blake won't get de-registered for getting released from a contract. Nobody has I don't think and I doubt anyone ever will. Stuart certainly won't. Especially when Parra were happy for him to leave. Des Hasler didn't get de-registered. Neither did Brian Smith.

Blake will be de-registered for being involved in a sex crime case, for losing his licence, etc. That's a hell of a lot different from having your manager ring the CEO and say that you want to leave the club.

eozsmiles

Bench
What % of Eels fans do you think are unhappy? Seems like most of them have spent the past season bagging Rick and the team........why get angry if he leaves?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
What % of Eels fans do you think are unhappy? Seems like most of them have spent the past season bagging Rick and the team........why get angry if he leaves?

I'm indifferent on the issue.

But, you can't just go in, sack 12 players then leave. It's just a low act.

betcats

Referee
Ricky gets some of the blame definitely, he took a dog shit team and made them worse, a good coach would of improved something...what did Sticky improve at Parra?

chrisD

Coach
I'm not sure if Stuart is actually any good, he's had some extremely good and extremely poor rosters. I'm siding towards no.

Frailty

First Grade
LOL, he wasn't even coaching an NRL team for three of those years, and one of them was at Parramatta with a team full of no hopers.

2013 - Eels - Last
2010 - Sharks - 14th
2009 - Sharks - 15th
2008 - Sharks - 3rd
2007 - Sharks - 11th
2006 - Roosters - 14th
2005 - Roosters - 9th

Last edited:

Y2Eel

First Grade
2013 - Eels - Last
2010 - Sharks - 15th
2009 - Sharks - 15th
2008 - Sharks - 3rd
2007 - Sharks - 11th
2006 - Roosters - 14th
2005 - Roosters - 9th

Why the hell did the eels board decide to waste a year with him.....

Y2Eel

First Grade
2004 - Roosters - 2nd.
2003 - Roosters - 2nd.
2002 - Roosters - 1st.

Pretty big coincidence the year after freddy retires they slide hard.....

Like Ikin said on the BSB he can coach a team that is already in place but cannot build a team at all..

Frailty

First Grade
In order to compare, here is Brian Smith's record over his last 7 years:

2012 - Roosters - 13th
2011 - Roosters - 11th
2010 - Roosters - 6th (GF)
2009 - Knights - 7th
2008 - Knights - 9th
2007 - Knights - 15th
2006 - Eels - 8th

3 finals in the last 7 years of his coaching.

The Enforcer

Juniors
He will have the makings a good squad for next season, their forward pack can be bolstered by another front rower and a hooker, get rid of White and Dane Tilse. Their back row is quite powerful with Papali, Thompson and Edwards and LearoyLahrs when he is fit.
If they can hang onto Milford they have Reece Robinson, Edrick Lee and Jack Wighton etc
There is still some genuine quality there and with the pack dominating those backs can score a lot of tries.
However he did dismember the Sharks and run and has now done the same with the Eels, I think Ricky Stuart looks after himself at the end of the day.
Beg to differ regarding Stuart having a good squad for next year.Either Milford goes north or he will play disinterested, LL is just about shot, Campese looks nothing like the player he was before his latest injuries, Thompson will no longer be there, no hooker/ dummy half...... Etc etc.
Unsure why you would want them to get rid of White ?
Also probably too late for Stuart to sign anyone of note.
This is why Canberra are in the position that they are, in that they had the squad to do some damage for the past 2 or 3 years, however their window looks to have slammed shut for a while.
Their best chance is to begin recruiting for 2015.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ricky gets some of the blame definitely, he took a dog shit team and made them worse, a good coach would of improved something...what did Sticky improve at Parra?

In the case of parramatta, that roster definitely had to get worse before it could get better. They will be a much better side next year thanks to Stuart.

mongoose

Coach
Beg to differ regarding Stuart having a good squad for next year.Either Milford goes north or he will play disinterested, LL is just about shot, Campese looks nothing like the player he was before his latest injuries, Thompson will no longer be there, no hooker/ dummy half...... Etc etc.
Unsure why you would want them to get rid of White ?
Also probably too late for Stuart to sign anyone of note.
This is why Canberra are in the position that they are, in that they had the squad to do some damage for the past 2 or 3 years, however their window looks to have slammed shut for a while.
Their best chance is to begin recruiting for 2015.

It aint a top 4 side but he still has a lot more to work with than what he had at the Eels. Our holden cup side was minor premiers as well.

jason taylor

Bench
In order to compare, here is Brian Smith's record over his last 7 years:

2012 - Roosters - 13th
2011 - Roosters - 11th
2010 - Roosters - 6th (GF)
2009 - Knights - 7th
2008 - Knights - 9th
2007 - Knights - 15th
2006 - Eels - 8th

3 finals in the last 7 years of his coaching.

Cross out 2006, Brian Smith bailed on us mid season when we were near the bottom of the ladder.

Latest posts