What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

2004 - Roosters - 2nd.
2003 - Roosters - 2nd.
2002 - Roosters - 1st.

Whilst I don't rate Ricky as the best coach, he doesn't get nearly enough credit for these years. Everyone goes on about these years being courtesy of Graham Murray, yet he didn't win a premiership with the squad when he was at the helm.

mongoose

Coach
Whilst I don't rate Ricky as the best coach, he doesn't get nearly enough credit for these years. Everyone goes on about these years being courtesy of Graham Murray, yet he didn't win a premiership with the squad when he was at the helm.

I think this points to what Stuarts strengths are. He didn't build that roosters side but he got them to dominate the competition for 3 seasons in a row. Guys like Fittler, Fitzgibbon, Mini, Morley etc played their best club footy under Stuart.

If he can get Shillington, White, TLL, Campese, Croker and even Buttriss to play consistent week in week out then the younger players will feed off them.

Springs

First Grade
No, my choice would have been Tony Smith.
But i also dont think he's getting a fair run here. He is being pounded for his efforts at a club that some weeks could barely make payroll and was dodging the "re-location" train on a yearly basis, and now with a roster he literally had to break down because it was devoid of genuine NRL talent, it was funny. I mean if there was more than 7 genuine NRL level footballers on that Eels side this year, id like to see them named. Worst roster i have EVER laid eyes on. He had to cut the deadwood and go through the shit before improving them, they would never have had success with that roster. As it turns out he wont be around to try and fix the job

I dont really care what happened at the sharks or eels, the troubles at those clubs during his time go far beyond the coach.

I am concerned about his time post Fitler at the roosters, but as rightly pointed out, that was a long time ago and he has hopefully grown as a coach since then.

As said, i have two options

a) piss and moan like a scorned teenager and death ride the guy (who happens to be now coaching the club i love)
b) wipe the slate clean and give him a chance to prove himself

Im sure you'll forgive me for erring on the side of what he could bring to this club and NOT being a f**king androtrop and crying like a bitch about this.

You can say the same thing about Penrith's squad yet Cleary has them playing above expectations. We had three good wins and some close losses (and some poor losses) in the first ten rounds and Stuart just gave up completely and sacked half the squad. He could have had them performing above expectations as well but no, he gave up and blamed everything but himself. And then of course he could have worked with what he had left and what he had signed but no, he walked out like the disloyal dickhead he is. He has every right to be criticised.

And for the record: Jarryd Hayne, Ken Sio, Ryan Morgan, Jacob Loko, Tim Mannah, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Darcy Lussick, Daniel Harrison, Mitch Allgood, Peni Terepo, Ben Smith, Semi Radradra and Kelepi Tanginoa all have the potential to be good/great first graders. And then he had players like Smith, Sandow, Roberts and Maitua who had been good first graders/rep players in the past. He couldn't get the best out of any of them.

Springs

First Grade
And then there's also players like Justin Horo who couldn't get a crack in our awful squad last year yet this year is a starter in a top 4 side. Players like that are capable yet they need the right circumstance to bring it out. Ricky hasn't been able to bring out the best in players for a long time.

A wee song for Ricky-" Years have passed and I keep thinking,
What a fool I've been
I look back into the past and think of way back then
I know that I lost everything I thought that I could win
I guess I should have listened to my friends"
Chorus
All these burning bridges that are falling after me
All those lonely feelings and those burning memories
Everyone I left behind, each time I closed the door
Burning bridges last for ever more
Burning Bridges Last For evermore

bfoord

Juniors
Surely he has to now grant Milford a release. it would be massively hypocritical for Stuart to use a get out clause to break a contract and then try to prevent Milford from doing the same thing

Raider_69

Post Whore

I just found it a bit interesting that the person posting his results happen to stop in the years he was making GF's

I think this points to what Stuarts strengths are. He didn't build that roosters side but he got them to dominate the competition for 3 seasons in a row. Guys like Fittler, Fitzgibbon, Mini, Morley etc played their best club footy under Stuart.

If he can get Shillington, White, TLL, Campese, Croker and even Buttriss to play consistent week in week out then the younger players will feed off them.

Agreed, why I think this appointment for the Raiders is probably 12 months too late. If he had Fergo and Duges in the right mind set then he could do some real damage with the squad. I think his style is probably more suited to rep footy than club footy though.

Raider_69

Post Whore
hmmm

make that three clubs now

they've got the bullet now

You felt it was worth going back and quoting these but not quoting where i clearly stated a number of times, if he signed i would wipe the slate clean and give him my full support?

How disingenuous of you El.

Raider_69

Post Whore
And for the record: Jarryd Hayne, Ken Sio, Ryan Morgan, Jacob Loko, Tim Mannah, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Darcy Lussick, Daniel Harrison, Mitch Allgood, Peni Terepo, Ben Smith, Semi Radradra and Kelepi Tanginoa all have the potential to be good/great first graders. And then he had players like Smith, Sandow, Roberts and Maitua who had been good first graders/rep players in the past. He couldn't get the best out of any of them.

You can keep the rest. What a side show list.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I understand you have limited options. But there is a third one - accept that you club has made a poor decision.

Talk to me in 3 years. The decision will be proved poor or great based on his results. He literally hasnt even signed a contract yet, so im not going to judge this decision based on results at basket case clubs.
This decision will be judged on his results at the Canberra Raiders Rugby League club. Hot tip, if we win a premiership no Raiders fans will give a shit that he won spoons with a dysfunctional Eels and stone cold motherless broke Sharks.
And if he doesnt succeed. We still wont give a f**k about what he did at those clubs. I am only concerned about what he does at my club.

Springs

First Grade
You can keep the rest. What a side show list.

lol, that's your opinion. I can say that about any number of NRL teams including Canberra. You must not have watched many Eels games this year. Moi Moi not a genuine first grader :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
OK im a tad harsh on FFMM :lol:
but he's not a guy id be keen on the raiders targetting, he's a reasonable player and definitely FG standard for a bottom rung team, but i dont rate him that highly at all. Well past his best.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I have two options:

a) piss and moan like a scorned teenager and death ride the guy
b) wipe the slate clean and give him a chance to prove himself

You sound like me this time last year...

I gave him a chance still glad he was able to do one thing and dump the 12 the team will be better he is gone though.

jason taylor

Bench
lol, that's your opinion. I can say that about any number of NRL teams including Canberra. You must not have watched many Eels games this year. Moi Moi not a genuine first grader :lol:

Moi Moi is past his best, he would struggle to crack the bench for most other sides.