What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think this points to what Stuarts strengths are. He didn't build that roosters side but he got them to dominate the competition for 3 seasons in a row. Guys like Fittler, Fitzgibbon, Mini, Morley etc played their best club footy under Stuart.

If he can get Shillington, White, TLL, Campese, Croker and even Buttriss to play consistent week in week out then the younger players will feed off them.

Penriff were the dominant team in 2003, not the c**ks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
did it ever act professionally in the first place?

and i have no idea how they've managed this, but i suspect the past two coaches have been strong enough to keep the players focused. manly is the exception to the rule in this regard.

on the one hand i dont blame stuart for leaving parra, but he was the one who went there knowing what problems were in place, he's the one who cleared out a bunch of players. so he really has no excuse other than "it's too hard" or "canberra's offered me more money".

he's always been overated as a club coach, i'm not sure how he still manages to con so many people in positions of power into believing otherwise

Yes, it did - under a decade of Brian Smith, we missed the Finals only twice, produced quality young players and were everywhere in our local communities helping out.

Hate on the Eels all you like, but what they are now is nothing what they were like ten years ago.

Springs

First Grade
Moi Moi is past his best, he would struggle to crack the bench for most other sides.

Horo couldn't crack our bench last year. Now he's starting at Manly. Yes Moi Moi is past his best but you can't make a judgement on how any player will go at another club until they're actually there.

Whilst I don't rate Ricky as the best coach, he doesn't get nearly enough credit for these years. Everyone goes on about these years being courtesy of Graham Murray, yet he didn't win a premiership with the squad when he was at the helm.

Hang on.

Murray got them to the GF , not exactly far from what stuart achieved.

He also built the squad ( with Gould)

You can tell Stuart's ability by the fact he didnt kick on at other clubs.

The bloke is a walking disaster.

Hang on.

Murray got them to the GF , not exactly far from what stuart achieved.

He also built the squad ( with Gould)

You can tell Stuart's ability by the fact he didnt kick on at other clubs.

The bloke is a walking disaster.

He made a grand final, then went out in week 1 of the finals next season before being replaced by Sticky. He could not win a premiership with this squad, Ricky could, yet Muz gets all the credit for it.

No one since 2004 has gotten to back to back to back grand finals whilst under the cap.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Would have thought the NRL should be looking into the jobs for the boys aspect of this particularly seeing as there is an outgoing chairman involved. A million bucks a year is pretty serious cash.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
This is good stuff,appointing Ricky should see the Raiders kicked out of the comp sooner rather than later which is great news,Raiders should already be gone.

Avenger

Immortal
He made a grand final, then went out in week 1 of the finals next season before being replaced by Sticky. He could not win a premiership with this squad, Ricky could, yet Muz gets all the credit for it.

No one since 2004 has gotten to back to back to back grand finals whilst under the cap.

No way the Roosters rorted the cap in those days. Anyways once Fittler retired his win percentage is 35%. He can't coach. He is a myth. Thank god Canberra took him.

Ultimately he deserves some credit.

But all the stars aligned for sticky. A good coach doesnt need that, they build up a club. Not tear it down.

God-King Dean

Immortal
The impression I've always had of Stuart is he's intense & gets the players rev'd up for a couple of years, & then they eventually get sick of him.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Ideal scenario would be Canberra get cold feet. Like for example say the new chairman decides it would be really stupid to pay the spoon winning coach a million bucks a year and kiboshes the whole thing. By which time Parra have signed someone else.

I'd like to see that.

Y2Eel

First Grade

Yes muz couldnt get a team to win the grand final but he built a damn good team with Gould.. Sticky was able to come in and finish it off, then when the team needed to be rebuilt what happened?

The raiders are not a complete team as yet and need some building Ricky is not the man for the job unfortunately. .

Raider_69

Post Whore
1989 - Raiders 1st
1990 - Raiders 1st
1991 - Raiders 2nd
1994 - Raiders 1st

Get Tim on the phone quickly fellows before he is snatched up!!

:lol: On the defensive.

I was simply providing the full picture. It's a little convenient that the poster who started this line of argument stopped at the years he was coachings latest and greatest.

If your going to judge him, do so on his entire record, not just the most convenient parts of it

Latest posts