What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think it's way to early to be certain whether or not Ricky's time in Canberra will be a success or not, but I think with a little luck and if he plays his cards right over the off season we have a team that with the right changes could be a very good team, but then again if he makes a few bad decisions we could be in for a disaster next year.

One thing is for sure though, Ricky's got no excuses next year! We have a team that can make the finals and can play great footy on their day (even without Ferguson and Milford). If Ricky doesn't convincingly make the finals next year he can kiss his professional coaching career good bye.

Loudstrat

Coach
nathan peats ‏@peats05 10h
2013 keeps getting interesting for myself

Interesting. Canberra had a crack at him last year after missing out on Matt Ballin. Dont be surprised if he follows Sticky.
What the f*ck is a contract nowdays? It seems like they dont exist when it comes to Canberra. Does anyone move in and out of the place without breaking a contract?

If Peats wants to follow a pea heart, we wouldnt want him anyway. That said, he has a contract with us, and I expect he'd honour it. That alone would make him unsuitable for the Raiders.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If love to see Jarryd Hayne wearing the famous Canberra number 1 jersey.

He'd be the fifth best fullback we've ever had.

I can't believe some of the negativity in here.

Lets be fair. Parra didn't finish the year any worse than under Kearney for 2012

Leave Ricky alone

Lambretta

First Grade
So the NRL season proper is over with Parramatta doing what many said could no longer be done in the modern salary crap era by winning back to back errr wooden spoons. The salary cap and it's leveling forces proved no match for the poison that is Ricky Stuart.

Even the Tigers with their batshit mental board, two, maybe three coaches and an injury list that seems worse than the Gettysburg field hospital couldn't compete with the mediocrity that Parramatta made their own.

Replacing disinterested players with with less talented ones isn't a recipe for success. Some teams, such as the Tigers and the Dragons when faced with adversity unearthed talented youngsters that point to the future. Parramatta however couldn't even manage that. All they unearthed was evidence that their ability to retain their talented youngsters matches their ability to win games.

Look around the league at all the talented players who were Parramatta juniors and you wonder what the f**k the club has been playing at.

OK, so it's not all Ricky's fault - after all he inherited a pile of dung. But he's done nothing to galvanise the players he's had and while he's made efforts to start turning the club around by starting a much needed clean out he's stabbed Parramatta in the back and looked after himself.

Hopefully this will be the turning point for Parramatta and not the moment when they sow up the threepeat. Personally I believe its the best news Parra fans could have hoped for.

As for the Raiders - I really hope that Ricky is your answer as you're a club with decent supporters that deserve so much better than what I fear you're going to get. I wish you all the best and I'm glad in a way that the deal you signed was only three years and not the seven that was first mooted. Good luck, I mean that genuinely.

Last edited:

Dread

Juniors
I love how they always start off so optimistic.

With every club it's always 'oh, it won't be like that at our club. We're different.'

And then Ricky comes in like some sort of demented Tasmanian devil and just f**ks the whole joint over. And then walks out. And signs somewhere else. And then the whole goddamn story starts all over again.

natheel

Coach
I can't believe some of the negativity in here.

Lets be fair. Parra didn't finish the year any worse than under Kearney for 2012

Leave Ricky alone

Position wise yes

Got less wins than last year
Bigger points differential
Worst defence and attack than last year

Apart from him signing some good players and culling players who needed to go we have gone backwards on field

T.S Quint

Coach
I say again, he didnt walk out on a contract. He has exercised a clause in his contract put in there and agreed to by the Parramatta board... As per his contract he is free to leave when ever the hell he likes, for what ever reason he likes

If anyone should be deregistered, the parramatta board are probably the first cabs off the ranks. What kind moron puts a HC on a contract that he can walk from, free of charge when ever he chooses? The Raiders dont even have to pay compensation to get Stuart, he can legally walk, without any repercussions save for his reputation, which wasnt highly regarded to begin with.

That is honestly next level incompetence

The board and CEO that hired Ricky are no longer there.
Hopefully our new board won't make the same mistakes as the last.

T.S Quint

Coach
What % of Eels fans do you think are unhappy? Seems like most of them have spent the past season bagging Rick and the team........why get angry if he leaves?

It's not so much what he did, but more the manner in which he has done it.
I still think that Ricky has done some good at the club in his short tenure there. He has told a lot of worthless players to look elsewhere (should have been a few more in my mind) and has signed up some quality juniors from both our system and from other clubs.

But he made himself out to be a major hypocrite after voicing his opinion on Folau and Papalii when they both reneged on deals to join the club. Letting all the conjecture about his future play out as long as it did - constantly saying "I have a contract here" without actually denying the rumours. He didn't even face the Chairman when he resigned, he rang him up late at night. He didn't inform the players - apparently he did the opposite just a week before and told a few he was staying.

And then to bring his poor daughter into all this.
If he really needed to move to Canberra to be closer to family for her sake, why didn't he do it before this year? It's not like he had a job tying him to Sydney or anything.

Like I said before, I thought he did some good things at the Eels....but I'm glad he is gone.

Position wise yes

Apart from him signing some good players and culling players who needed to go we have gone backwards on field

Exactly.

The number of thrashings would suggest otherwise.

Special K

Coach
Position wise yes

Hardly good players though besides Hoppa who was signed before.

Peats and Hunt a fringe first graders and Norman isn't going to change much.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm indifferent on the issue.

But, you can't just go in, sack 12 players then leave. It's just a low act.

It would be even lower for Ricky to leave you with the same roster as this season.....

He did what was needed and your next coach will be happier for it.

Latest posts