What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Talks about Fridays's Game

azzah72

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24412805-5016307,00.html

Rants don't win comps

By Ricky Stuart
September 28, 2008 THE inexperience of Melbourne's chief executive cost them $50,000 and their football manager almost made it another $10,000 to take the shine off Craig Bellamy's effort to take such a quality football team to three straight grand finals.
This is the first time Melbourne Storm have faced adversity or been under pressure during their reign as a champion team and they haven't handled it well. Players or staff.
They need to turn things around quickly, re-focus on their football, to go win the grand final next Sunday.
On-field performances win grand finals, not the rant of inexperienced chief executives.
Brian Waldron was part of the reason the Storm were fined $50,000 for their comments on Friday night.
I'm told football manager Frank Ponissi was threatened with a further $10,000 fine for abusive language to the NRL ground manager at the Sydney Football Stadium on Friday night.
I don't regret anything I said after the post-match press conference and fortunately I didn't have to think about it.
Otherwise my chief executive Tony Zappia may be the one forking out some cash.
Rugby league is built on opinions and comment, it's what the game thrives on.
Asked again about any other player, I would say the same thing.
That's all I was giving when I was asked about Cameron Smith's situation. An opinion.
Case closed.

From the Sharks' point of view, this is the most empty feeling I've had since I started coaching. And I've lost big games before.
I'm really disappointed for our players that we finished the season with a performance that didn't typify our character or our ability.
It was the display that we put together in front of our loyal supporters that was most disappointing.
It's the emptiness that I'm physically feeling right now. It can't be explained. You can't put a description on it.
I feel for our supporters because we let them down.
We haven't got the ability of Melbourne, but our performance on Friday night does not reflect our football team.
It's one of the most enjoyable seasons that I have had as a coach and I have learned so much about what team spirit actually means.
And I also learned how self-belief can get you rewards.
We farewell a couple of great clubmen - Brett Kimmorley and Danny Nutley - but welcome in some fresh talent.
Trent Barrett is a great pick-up from UK Super League side Wigan, and the addition of NSW and Australian forward Anthony Tupou will really give our pack some impact.
One thing is certain, the Sharks won't go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tupou will make a decent straight swap for Bird and similarly Barrett will probably be about as effective as Kimmorley was, so how about some gun backs? A Slater, Inglis, Folau etc...we'd probably even take a Turner!

Quigs

Immortal
I think you might find its Birds fault tht we didn't play Bird.

It's called talkin, that was what all that is needed

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Genius Freak

Juniors
one player would not have salvaged that performance

One player who would not have screwed up like Blake Green did. Who would have lifted the boys mentally. One who would have put us in the hunt.

I'm tired of the attitude of this club.

Let's just win the comp instead of worrying about perception.

f**k I'm sick of this goody goody attitude.

Genius Freak

Juniors
We didn't play anyone of quality without Bird though. We played a dodgy Tigers side, a NQ side who was coming dead last, and a Canberra side that can't tackle.

We were always going to struggle against quality opposition without Bird. This club would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. I can't stand it!

spider

Coach
We didn't play anyone of quality without Bird though. We played a dodgy Tigers side, a NQ side who was coming dead last, and a Canberra side that can't tackle.
storm were ripe for the picking imo - our form and defence of the previous 6 weeks would have beat them easily

This club would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. I can't stand it!
lol - that was wesley, not the sharks

spider

Coach
i got your point, but i thought it was funny

wesley had an attitude problem which resulted in that comment in the movie

so i guess it is relevant to a point - but i would not attribute it to the sharks club in this instance

Special K

Coach
Facts say that the two biggest tests we had this season

manly at home
storm in the finals

we got belted and did not even look like winning either game.

Bird did not play in either btw

McLovin

Staff member
We've been hustling teams all year with out line-up...

WMCJ is a great movie...

spider

Coach
Facts say that the two biggest tests we had this season

manly at home
storm in the finals

we got belted and did not even look like winning either game.

Bird did not play in either btw

funnily enough both those games after a week off

other teams enjoy the week off - seemingly we dont

we also won a lot of games during birds absence - injury and while stood down

Xsharks

Juniors
I am with you Genius Freak _ I am sick of year in year out re the goody shoes attitude (Oh yeah theres always next year attitude) Bird was a huge loss but why was he convicted by the club before he was convicted in Court?? Media pressure NRL pressure thats why!! Was Bird even charged with the assault cause last I heard his girlfriend wanted no part of making any complaint and without a victim there is no offence!
The allegations re the Brisbane players are quite serious I have heard but yet they were allowed to play - go figure -
I agree with some of the comments here that one player would not have made a difference (not the way the sharks played on Fri night) against the Storm but he was by far our best player throughout the whole year so that has to make some difference. Get a backbone Cronulla Sutherland Leagues and stand up for the interests of the club rather than worry about bad publicity or possible fines incurred - bunch soft c#$#%!!!!

Genius Freak

Juniors
Exactly right, XSharks.

We should have played Bird and said to hell with everyone else. Put ourselves first. If we had of won the comp, no one would have cared or remembered anything allegedly done by Bird in six months time. But naturally we're too busy worrying about our image to care about winning.

It is of course possible that we could have played Bird and lost. We could have played him, and got done 50-nil.

BUT.....

At least we would have done EVERYTHING in our power to win the comp. We would have put our best available team out there, and would have left no stone unturned in our quest to win.

But we didn't. We took the softcock option, and let the Australian 5/8 sit out while we got rolled.

If we'd tried everything we could and got rolled, I'd have lot more respect for the club than I do atm. Right now I'm disillusioned with everyone involved in the softcock decision making process!

So yeah, Ricky, Zappia... f**k both of you.

Special K

Coach
funnily enough both those games after a week off

other teams enjoy the week off - seemingly we dont

we also won a lot of games during birds absence - injury and while stood down
Bird would of not made a difference the other night.

We are just not up to that level yet. It was remarkable we got as far as we did. Next year with Williams, Tupou, Buster, Barrett, Hughes and hopefully Bird we will be better especially for the experience of how to handle the week off. Sticky could only do so much.

The game against the Raiders was not a finals style match. Cowboys, Raiders then a week off to face the storm in the biggest game of most of their careers? Eeeek!!

azzah72

Bench
Who ever is saying Bird should of played and would of made a difference is a twat.

Bird himself basically told me he wouldn't of been able to make a difference, they sh*t them selves and it is that simple. I saw it, you saw it and believe me Bird saw it, the bloke was in tears.

Bird made the decision not to e cooperative with the sharks, i stand by the club, if next tuesday he's found guilty, the bloke might be in jail and that's why the club did what they had to do, it was a serious offense with serious consequences.

But on the topic of the boys, well i said it, they sh*t themselves but to their credit, they probably shouldn't of been the to begin with. They did well, sh*t performance on fri night but they did well.

It was a two horse race all year, we just got a false sense of confidence leading into the game due the cards we were dealt.

We were probably the best of the rest but that doesn't say much, Manly and Melbourne are the top do with a fair gap in between.

Squae

Juniors
Absolutely right Azzah, as for why he didnt play, maybe it was due to him * allegedly *glassing his' misses in the face!

People can say what they want, if they honestly believe he didnt do it they have to wake up to themselves. The cops charged him on his' own statement, far out!!!

He would of made jack difference as has been stated, furthermore, as I have read elsewhere, he had been in average form for ages anyway. I would take tupou before him for sure. The excess money from bird can be spent better elsewhere honestly

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts