What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Skinner

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Phil was always ready to speak his mind and that's an honesty which is getting harder to find these days. One of the greats in these forums.
Best wishes to family... and his friends, of which I'm sure he has many.

Rich102

Staff member
I sent Skinz's wife Christine a message on behalf of us all.
Here is her reply:

" Hi Rich,

Thank you for your kind words about Phil. He was one of the good guys in this world.

It's very sad but Phil is now out of pain and at peace.

Thanks again for making his days enjoyable on the forum

Christine "

AliN

Live Update Team
Christine has also asked me to let everyone know there will be a memorial service in Auckland for Skinz sometime in November.
When & where yet to be decided.
He wasnt big on funerals and this is what he wished for.

Any LU members are most welcome to attend.
Once the dates etc are finalized, I'll let you all know.

One of the members here has suggested a koha of some sort that could be presented to Christine and the family before or after the service on behalf of LU.
Just a thought, and if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was one of the few people on here who didn't go about trolling and pissing people off. In 15 years of posting here, that speaks volumes of the man. He was passionate, knowledgeable funny and friendly.

He's a sad loss to this forum. Which means he will be an immense and unimaginable loss to his loved ones.

Rest easy mate.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Christine has also asked me to let everyone know there will be a memorial service in Auckland for Skinz sometime in November.
When & where yet to be decided.
He wasnt big on funerals and this is what he wished for.

Any LU members are most welcome to attend.
Once the dates etc are finalized, I'll let you all know.

One of the members here has suggested a koha of some sort that could be presented to Christine and the family before or after the service on behalf of LU.
Just a thought, and if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them.

Being in Aus I can’t make it and sending gifts is kinda a pain too, but if you message me your Paypal address I’ll happily throw in a few $ towards an appropriate koha for the old fella.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So sad, miss his Facebook posts already as we interacted a bit.

He wont be forgotten.

Rest easy Phil.

ozbash

Referee
Quite hard to come to terms with the fact that a mate wont be around any more, he was a genuine good bastard and we'll remember him.

I think all the comments on this thread show the regard in which Phil was held. He didn't agree with everything on here but he respected each members right to their opinion,, which is rare.

TheDMC

Bench
Dang. Never met skinner and not much direct interaction with him on here but seemed like a really solid bloke and feel bummed about this news. He was posting away here just a few months ago.. hope his family are coping as best as poss, also the dudes here that knew him. Sad times.

Blair

Coach
Onya Skinner.

I always have huge respect for those pre-Warriors leagiues in NZ. We really were the 'poor cousin' compared to union. They worked really hard to promote our game and, in many ways, their hard work has been rewarded.

vvvrulz

Coach
Genuinely shocked to hear the sad news.

Even though I haven't met anyone personally on this community, it really does feel like a community and this was a sad reminder that behind the nice departure of these forums there is a real world behind it. Everyone's correct in that Skinner was one of those posters that didn't antagonize.

Rest in peace mate.

Iafeta

Referee
It’s great seeing everyone’s thoughts. I still am in shock of the news. I honestly had no idea about his health. I just expect a history tour de force on Kiwi Rugby League from Skinner on here. Personally I feel I learned a lot from him on league.

Kia Kaha to his family.

Meth

Staff member
I feel as if my interactions with skinner were minimal and typically barbed (all in good fun)- I wonder if somebody in here who knew him well could provide a eulogy of sorts?

Meth

Staff member
I was thinking the same thing Meth.
I dont mind writing one for sure but I wouldn't be able to read it out.
Maybe Oz could do that..

Can Oz read?

I always imagined you reading posts on here out to him.

If you can write something for us here, that'd be great.

AliN

Live Update Team
For those interested in paying their respects to Skinz..

A memorial service will be held for Phil on the
4th November
12 until 2pm
Northcote Rugby Club
Recreation Drive
Birkenhead

Thanks for all your messages
Christine

Latest posts