What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL2 - 90% in Official Playstation Mag

Jordan

Juniors
Good score...although I wouldn't exactly trust it. RL2 being a marquee game for the PS2 in Australia was hardly going to get a bad review from the official magazine.

Mario

Juniors
Jordan said:
Good score...although I wouldn't exactly trust it. RL2 being a marquee game for the PS2 in Australia was hardly going to get a bad review from the official magazine.

In case you were wondering, Official PlayStation Magazine isn't actually published by Sony, its published by independent publishing house Derwent Howard who also do Official Xbox Magazine :)

Morenito

Juniors
They said the same thing about the last game and in reality it was sh!T

Im still in denial about it though.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Give over people. We should be grateful that they make the effort to produce the game in the first place, not sniping at them because their effort doesn't match the graphics of an EA Sports title, or the gameplay of a Konami Sports title! Those companies spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s more than Sidhe could ever do.

I'm sure the game will be great. The last one was, bar the glitches. If this one improves the graphics and takes out those obvious problems, it should be great. The last one was very playable as it was. I have not played any game more than that over the past year.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The last game routinely got 7/10 and 8/10 from all sorts of independent reviewers and you lot still carry on like it was rubbish. The magazines are not the biased ones, rugby league fans with outrageous expectations are.

If the game got a 9/10 it's because experts who have probably played 1000s of games believed it deserved 9/10.

McLovin

Staff member
I still play RL1 with my mates. It's great fun when you have two players. Cant wait until the new one comes out...

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
Give over people. We should be grateful that they make the effort to produce the game in the first place, not sniping at them because their effort doesn't match the graphics of an EA Sports title, or the gameplay of a Konami Sports title! Those companies spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s more than Sidhe could ever do.

I'm sure the game will be great. The last one was, bar the glitches. If this one improves the graphics and takes out those obvious problems, it should be great. The last one was very playable as it was. I have not played any game more than that over the past year.

You gotta understand that Sidhe is a company..they make software, in other words we pay for products.

I dont enjoy buying buggy software, do you? if i have to dish out $99.95 for a game then hell it has to be a game im going to enjoy.

I bought RL 1 on release nite, over the course of 2 nights i was shocked at how many bugs were in the game...it didnt seem right that teams could score at ease out of the scrum..or when the computer decides to make 20 head high tackles.

Yes its a solid game when you play 2 players but most games are "solid" when your playing with another die hard.

an 8/10 for RL 1 is 4 better then it deserves.

----------------

RL 2 is looking good, we now have seen 2 good reviews with a 9/10 and a 90% so im getting all excited waiting.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Nah, that is pretty harsh I think. The best way to judge a games quality is to see how long you play it for. If you play it for a week then never play it again its pretty poor, if you are still playing it after a year then it cannot be that bad. I can genuinely say RL1 is still in the top 2 or 3 when the lads come round after, what, 12 months?

What version did you have it on? I hear the X-Box port was pretty awful?

skinsxxx82

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
The last game routinely got 7/10 and 8/10 from all sorts of independent reviewers and you lot still carry on like it was rubbish. The magazines are not the biased ones, rugby league fans with outrageous expectations are.

If the game got a 9/10 it's because experts who have probably played 1000s of games believed it deserved 9/10.

very well said....overall the game is excellant for a first attempt and i still play it alot. its just there are a lot of whingers on here who like to carry on like babies.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
You gotta understand that Sidhe is a company..they make software, in other words we pay for products.

I dont enjoy buying buggy software, do you? if i have to dish out $99.95 for a game then hell it has to be a game im going to enjoy.

I bought RL 1 on release nite, over the course of 2 nights i was shocked at how many bugs were in the game...it didnt seem right that teams could score at ease out of the scrum..or when the computer decides to make 20 head high tackles.

Yes its a solid game when you play 2 players but most games are "solid" when your playing with another die hard.

an 8/10 for RL 1 is 4 better then it deserves.

----------------

RL 2 is looking good, we now have seen 2 good reviews with a 9/10 and a 90% so im getting all excited waiting.

That's ridiculous.

No fairminded, non-biased reviewer ever has or ever will give RL1 4/10.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm still playing Rugby League since it's released and though it's not the best game ever it is one of my favourites. I think people just get too high of expectations as TH said. You can't expect a company attempting a sports game that's only been done once (poorly I might add).

The scores suggest it's good, however don't trust scores from these sources. PS2 Magazine arn't usually your best source for scores, neither is the other mag (What was it again?). If you noticed the other magazine gave the new AFL game a 8/10 while most gamers will tell you it's barely even worth 5/10 (btw the people I asked were average AFL fans).

You guys will just have to wait and see what SidHe serves up. Some people here might not like it and that's their opinion and that's fine however you have to accept people will enjoy the game for what it is.

Paullyboy

Coach
People abuse RL1 not because they have too high expectations - but because they are comparing it with other games that cost the same amount of money and are released at the same time.

People keep saying oh you cant expect their first go.. yap, yap, yap.

Just because its someone's first go doesnt mean you should give them a higher score as some sort of sympathy vote - whats the point of rating it then?

If Madden or FIFA gets 9/10, then RL1 deserves no more than a 5/10.

And this is coming from someone who enjoyed the game, but only after it was patched, changed, modified and bugged to make it more realistic and updated.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Paullyboy said:
People abuse RL1 not because they have too high expectations - but because they are comparing it with other games that cost the same amount of money and are released at the same time.

People keep saying oh you cant expect their first go.. yap, yap, yap.

Just because its someone's first go doesnt mean you should give them a higher score as some sort of sympathy vote - whats the point of rating it then?

If Madden or FIFA gets 9/10, then RL1 deserves no more than a 5/10.

And this is coming from someone who enjoyed the game, but only after it was patched, changed, modified and bugged to make it more realistic and updated.

I agree.

I thought RL1 was fun, but not great. First effort or not.

I have the PS2 version - too many glitches to make it fun.

And the gameplay - the fact that the ONLY significant attribute that allowed you to stamp any authority on your opponents was speed...Limited the gameplay.