What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF 2017 Sydney Meeting

adamkungl

Immortal
Extended Pacific to Asia/Pacific is an interesting one. Maybe Lebanon could then be included being technically Asia.

Could look something similar to what adamkungl suggested with 2 tiers.

1 - PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Lebanon, Cook Islands.
2 - Vanuatu, Solomon Is, Nieu, Phillipines, Thailand, Hong Kong.

Two pools of 3, and played in Sydney would probably be necessary for tier 2. Tier 1 played between the islands and Australia, whichever is feasible.

Asia should be it's own region imo (split into 6 continental feds) but that's obviously not on the cards for the near future.

roughyedspud

Coach
Gonna try and get some answers out of Wales,Scotland & Ireland today..

The Wales CEO said yesterday

. There is one scenario that may create a problem for us and that is if we, Wales, have World Cup qualifying games in 2019 and our best players are away with the British Lions however we’ll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

I frigging hope Wales don't make it now

adamkungl

Immortal
Gonna try and get some answers out of Wales,Scotland & Ireland today..

The Wales CEO said yesterday

I frigging hope Wales don't make it now

1) Wales (and Ireland and Scotland) probably won't have any players (except Aussie fakes) make GB
2) I have to believe they wouldn't be stupid enough to schedule the 2 events overlapping.
3) In the unlikely case of both 1 and 2 failing, I also have to believe that players involved and GB selectors would both agree that qualifying for the WC is more important than an ultimately meaningless tour across the other side of the world.

It's not perfect (what ever is with RL) but the game is heading in the right direction, get excited Spud :p

roughyedspud

Coach
The GB tour will be a good 7weeks long at least,overlapping of the tour & RLWCQ will be unavoidable..

And there's nothing exciting about the prospect of countries losing players for the RLWCQ to a meaningless tour its disgraceful and disrespects the likes of Wales and the world cup

I'm loving the rest of the announcement,it's just the 2019 mess that's a f**k up

jim_57

Staff member
They're probably relying on the fact Wales and Scotland are unlikely to provide many if any players and even if all of lost their 5 best each they'd still stroll past Serbia and Russia (unless things dramatically improve) to make the cup.

If it backfires though watch the backlash, the problem is the RLIF shouldn't be setying themselves up like this, no matter how unlikely that situation is.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nah
I reckon the GB tour will run 6 weeks max., probably 5, finishing the last or 2nd last weekend of November.
Qualifiers will likely be a 4N 3 week affair, or a split-6N 3 week like last time. Can fit it into October or December-January.
Or finish the SL a couple of weeks earlier.

I'm sure they won't be silly enough to overlap them. Worrying about nothing.

PaulyTom

Juniors
1) Wales (and Ireland and Scotland) probably won't have any players (except Aussie fakes) make GB
2) I have to believe they wouldn't be stupid enough to schedule the 2 events overlapping.
3) In the unlikely case of both 1 and 2 failing, I also have to believe that players involved and GB selectors would both agree that qualifying for the WC is more important than an ultimately meaningless tour across the other side of the world.

It's not perfect (what ever is with RL) but the game is heading in the right direction, get excited Spud :p

Wales have some good players , checkout St Helens winger Regan grace, born and breed Welsh man came through the system and is one of the best wingers in the league .

PaulyTom

Juniors
Other than the Pacific cup games in international week , when do Fiji , png, Samoa , Tonga and Cook islands play?

roughyedspud

Coach
Nah
I reckon the GB tour will run 6 weeks max., probably 5, finishing the last or 2nd last weekend of November.
Qualifiers will likely be a 4N 3 week affair, or a split-6N 3 week like last time. Can fit it into October or December-January.
Or finish the SL a couple of weeks earlier.

I'm sure they won't be silly enough to overlap them. Worrying about nothing.

Let's use this year's calander as a a guide

Sat 7th Oct ESL grand final
Wed 11th Oct - fly to oz
Sat 21st Oct - first tour game after a 7-8 days acclimatizing
Sat 28th Oct - 1st test v Australia
Sat 4th Nov - 2nt test v Australia
Sat 11th Nov - 3rd test v Australia
Sat 18th Nov - 1st test v NZ
Sat 25th Nov - 2nd test v NZ

That's a conservative tour and that's 7.5 weeks away,ive left out typing possible midweek games just not to over complicate what I'm trying to show you...it's impossible for the tour & RLWCQ not to overlap..

How would you feel if Wales,Scotland & Ireland get given automatic qualifications??

adamkungl

Immortal
Let's use this year's calander as a a guide

Sat 7th Oct ESL grand final
Wed 11th Oct - fly to oz
Sat 21st Oct - first tour game after a 7-8 days acclimatizing
Sat 28th Oct - 1st test v Australia
Sat 4th Nov - 2nt test v Australia
Sat 11th Nov - 3rd test v Australia
Sat 18th Nov - 1st test v NZ
Sat 25th Nov - 2nd test v NZ

That's a conservative tour and that's 7.5 weeks away,if left out typing possible midweek games just not to over complicate what I'm trying to show you...it's impossible for the tour & RLWCQ not to overlap..

How would you feel if Wales,Scotland & Ireland get given automatic qualifications??

Lots of potential solutions
-SL could finish 2 weeks earlier to give qualifiers breathing room
-First tour match could play a week earlier with GF players flying over a bit later
-GB could not select players involved in qualification
-Players involved in qualificaiton could fly home 2 weeks earlier
-Qualifiers could run into January

I don't see why you're taking it as a given that they'll do the stupidest possible scenario (aside from "It's Rugby League").
If in 2 years this situation does arise I'll agree with you that they're complete f**king morons.

Also there's a solid chance 2 of those nations do get automatic qualification, only have to make quarters.
Scotland to beat Tonga, Wales or Ireland to beat PNG ;)

roughyedspud

Coach
From the RLi Facebook page

The RFL have contacted the governing bodies of Wales, Scotland and ourselves to advise that at this point there is no detail around the practicalities of how this will work but that this will be worked out in partnership with us all over the coming months.

RLI welcome the collaboration on decision making going forward and will look at whatis best for the game in Ireland now and in the future.
Its pretty obvious Wales,Scotland & Ireland weren't asked...they were told! And even the RFL have no idea how it's gonna work..lol what a f*cking joke

roughyedspud

Coach
Lots of potential solutions
-SL could finish 2 weeks earlier to give qualifiers breathing room
-First tour match could play a week earlier with GF players flying over a bit later
-GB could not select players involved in qualification
-Players involved in qualificaiton could fly home 2 weeks earlier
-Qualifiers could run into January

I don't see why you're taking it as a given that they'll do the stupidest possible scenario (aside from "It's Rugby League").
If in 2 years this situation does arise I'll agree with you that they're complete f**king morons.

Also there's a solid chance 2 of those nations do get automatic qualification, only have to make quarters.
Scotland to beat Tonga, Wales or Ireland to beat PNG ;)

Let's get the NRL to start two weeks early too.!!!..we both know what the answer to that'll be..starts with f**k and ends with off

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
The Lions tour has been met with a fair bit of positivity though I think it's purely for nostalgic reasons. The golden era of Great Britain and regular tours came before I started to follow the game so I have no attachment the concept though I do appreciate what it meant to the players involved at the time.

I'd rather see the game continue to be pushed and grow in Scotland, Ireland and Wales as individual nations and the reintroduction of the Great Britain side will hinder that.