What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF wants TV rights

The Tank

Bench
RUGBY League International Federation officials want to take over the television rights for all Test matches after announcing yesterday the World Cup had made a profit of more than $5 million.
The RLIF yesterday announced 9 million people in Australia had watched the tournament on TV and 243,349 live - with 120,000 pieces of licensed apparel sold.

Federation chairman Colin Love told The Daily Telegraph the 2013 tournament, to be held in Europe or Australasia, would be expanded to 12 teams.

The RLIF currently gets nothing from television rights to internationals outside the World Cup because they are included in the domestic deals of the NRL and Britain's Rugby Football League.

But from 2011, when the NRL deal is to be renegotiated, the Federation wants Tests to be left out so they can be sold separately to generate more profits.

"I think it's got to happen," the RLWC08 tournament director said.

"It's not a matter of taking games off anyone but it's a far better idea than individual countries negotiating television rights for their own internationals."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24683371-5006066,00.html

Good move IMO. Origin should also be seperate and sold by the ARL on behalf of the state leagues.

chrisc101

Juniors
Good idea, but I don't think we should let Colin Love anywhere near a media negotiating table ever again.

you're joking aren't you?? ok he got paid a fortune for doing it, but where do you think the $5 buck profit came from? It is from all the international television deals which HE negotiated.

roughyedspud

Coach
damn right...why should the ARL,RFL etc get to keep the tv from from RLIF tournaments such as the world cup & 4 nations...

the only international tv monies the ARL,RFL,NZRL,FRR etc should be allowed to neogoitate for themselves is from out of tournament tests like mid season & end of season,pre tournament warms up tests...this would encourage the governing bodies to play more out of tournament tests..

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
you're joking aren't you?? ok he got paid a fortune for doing it, but where do you think the $5 buck profit came from? It is from all the international television deals which HE negotiated.

True, but where was he with the Channel 9 debacle, and also the radio rights?

Godz Illa

Coach
Good move IMO. Origin should also be seperate and sold by the ARL on behalf of the state leagues.

It was like that in the good old days, I recall. Late 80's... the Winfield Cup was on 10, State of Origin on 9, and Test matches on 7. Pretty sure, anyway

The Tank

Bench

I suppose with tv rights (in oz) he negotiated a decent-to-good deal, but he failed to enforce the contract which stated (i'm guessing it stated) all super pool games and finals live.

The Tank

Bench
It was like that in the good old days, I recall. Late 80's... the Winfield Cup was on 10, State of Origin on 9, and Test matches on 7. Pretty sure, anyway

That would be fantastic. Wish we could attractt 7 and/or 10 on top of 9. Different commentators and coverage would spice things up. Nine's same-old same-old approach is getting tedious.

rlo

Juniors
competition for TV rights is a good thing for the coffers of rugby league - though to be honest I'm not too sure about Bruce McAvaney calling Origin.

chrisc101

Juniors

Point taken, internationally they did extremely well with lots of marginal countries picking up (and paying) for the rights. Locally we were treated with contempt. We could watch the games live in Hong Kong but not in Australia!

roopy

Referee
Logically this could make a revenue stream for the RLIF.
We all know that TV stations are looking for more and more content, and content will be worth dollars.

Jeffles

Bench
They should get the rights for the RLWC. Other than that, if they don't get the TV rights then at the very least there should be a mandatory royalty payable to the RLIF
for all TV deals related to internationals.

I think the RLIF should also have the rights to sell the space on the official's gear

yakstorm

First Grade

The TV rights where negotiated and sold by IMG Media, well pretty much all except the Channel 9 deal which was part IMG, part RLIF.

Honestly we should be getting IMG on board to sell all currently televised RL content (Origin, Quad Nations, Pacific Cup, NRL, Super League, etc). Sure they might take more of a chunk of the TV revenue that competitors, but you can't deny that they know how to sell international sports rights.

bazza

Immortal
They should get the rights for the RLWC. Other than that, if they don't get the TV rights then at the very least there should be a mandatory royalty payable to the RLIF
for all TV deals related to internationals.

I think the RLIF should also have the rights to sell the space on the official's gear

I agree. The RLIF should only get TV rights to events they organise.
If the ARL, RFL, RLEF or anyone else organise their own series - then they should be the ones that get the rights.

The tournament organisers should pay a fee to the RLIF to have the matches officially sanctioned and officials provided