What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC17 squads

adamkungl

Immortal
Scotland will have more Scottish born players than Samoa have Samoan born and potentially equal with Tonga.

None of the Scotland squad are nation swappers either.

So how will it be a joke if they knock them out?

Sooks gonna sook.

There's the ridiculous view down here that the island teams are somehow super authentic but the UK teams are all ring ins, despite being the same or better.

Scotland's problem is nothing to do with their named team and everything to do with the fact their local comp doesn't exist.

hutch

First Grade
What will look even worse is if Scotland shock all three NZ, Samoa and Tonga yet they could hardly be considered a representation of Scotland (Braveheart Heritage XIIIs). If they do go on to make the quarter finals it will probably make International RL seem like more of a laughing stock and with all these players switching i.e. Taumalolo, Fifita etc.. however I will still support this tournament no matter but wonder what will it take to wake up the RLIF?? sure hope this doesn't backfire with poor turnouts. RLWC13 should lay the foundation for something to build on.

Why is the Scottish team not authentic but the island teams are?

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyone got positional run down on the USA players? I don't want to google 23 players just to come up with a teamlist lol

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
In regards to Joseph Paulo being in Samoa's world cup squad. I thought he would be ineligible as he played for the USA in the last world cup. Can a player only play for one tier 1 and one tier 2 country or have the rules changed?

Shorty

Staff member
New Zealand squad:

Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Gerard Beale, Adam Blair (capt), Kenny Bromwich, Addin Fonua-Blake, Peta Hiku, Shaun Johnson, Thomas Leuluai, Danny Levi, Isaac Liu, Simon Mannering, Te Maire Martin, Jason Nightingale, Kodi Nikorima, Russell Packer, Jordan Rapana, Brad Takairangi, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Elijah Taylor, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Jared Warea-Hargreaves, Dallin Watane-Zelezniak, Dean Whare.

If the Kiwis don't aim up attitude wise they could find themselves in a sticky situation in their pool. Tonga and Samoa will be primed for big performances and we all saw what happened against Scotland in the 4 nations.

I would imagine the Kiwis to handle Scotland with ease at home but if they get complacent about just having to finish in the top 3 to go through we may see an upset or two.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...uad-confirmed-for-rugby-league-world-cup.html
That side is plenty strong, inexperienced yes but strong.
They need to work a bit like the Cows do, rely on their big forwards and crafty play makers.

adamkungl

Immortal
In regards to Joseph Paulo being in Samoa's world cup squad. I thought he would be ineligible as he played for the USA in the last world cup. Can a player only play for one tier 1 and one tier 2 country or have the rules changed?

It turns out tier 2 retained the old rules, in which a player can switch once per cycle. I feel like this is another mistake that could do with tinkering after the WC.

morningstar

Juniors
It turns out tier 2 retained the old rules, in which a player can switch once per cycle. I feel like this is another mistake that could do with tinkering after the WC.

Similar case came up when Jennings was rumored to be playing for Fiji. RLIF aren't enforcing it retrospectively. Madness...

http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/jennings-boosts-batis-world-cup-hopes

Under new international eligibility rules introduced this year, a player can switch between a Tier 1 country and a Tier 2 nation for whom he also qualifies but not between two countries in the same tier.

However, Jennings did not play in the Pacific Test and the rules aren't retrospective so he remains eligible for the Bati and Naleba said the 29-year-old wanted to play for Fiji at the World Cup.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors

Cheers, I agree it does seem abit strange to have a scenario where a player could swap hes second tier every cycle while also plating for a first tier

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Similar case came up when Jennings was rumored to be playing for Fiji. RLIF aren't enforcing it retrospectively. Madness...

http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/jennings-boosts-batis-world-cup-hopes

Under new international eligibility rules introduced this year, a player can switch between a Tier 1 country and a Tier 2 nation for whom he also qualifies but not between two countries in the same tier.

However, Jennings did not play in the Pacific Test and the rules aren't retrospective so he remains eligible for the Bati and Naleba said the 29-year-old wanted to play for Fiji at the World Cup.

That is pretty insane

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The way all this swapping and changing is going, as a white Anglo-Saxon Aussie male, I'm putting my hand up for the next RLWC playing for Togo.

Gotta have an African team somewhere!

morningstar

Juniors
The way all this swapping and changing is going, as a white Anglo-Saxon Aussie male, I'm putting my hand up for the next RLWC playing for Togo.

Gotta have an African team somewhere!

Very droll, but unless you were born in Togo, have a parent/grandparent who was born in Togo or have lived there continuously for five years you are shit out of luck.

Apart from nation swapping, Rugby League's eligibility laws are in line with all other major sports.

Billythekid

First Grade
That side is plenty strong, inexperienced yes but strong.
They need to work a bit like the Cows do, rely on their big forwards and crafty play makers.

It's not bad but LoLo adds that x-factor. Losing the best forward and possibly the best player in the game is massive. Losing a top 5 prop in the league and a top notch second rower in Bromwich and Harris just adds salt to the wound.

I still give them a chance but it's more of an outside chance. Full strength they'd be close to favourites IMO.

Clarkent

Juniors
Samoa

• Frank Pritchard (c)
  • Bunty Afoa
  • Leeson Ah Mau
  • Faamanu Brown
  • Herman Ese’ese
  • Pita Godinet
  • Joseph Leilua
  • Ricky Leutele
  • Sam Lisone
  • Jarmoine Luai
  • Suaia Matagi
  • Peter Mata’utia
  • Sione Mata’utia
  • Ken Maumalo
  • Tautau Moga
  • Zane Musgrave
  • Josh Papalii
  • Joseph Paulo
  • Junior Paulo
  • Ben Roberts
  • Sam Tagataese
  • Jazz Tevaga
  • Young Tonumaipea
  • Matthew Wright
It's not a very strong Samoan squad... They're missing alot of key players through injury... But still pretty solid... Doubt they'll beat the kiwis but they'll give Tonga and Scotland a good fight

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Very droll, but unless you were born in Togo, have a parent/grandparent who was born in Togo or have lived there continuously for five years you are shit out of luck.

Apart from nation swapping, Rugby League's eligibility laws are in line with all other major sports.
I'm so disappointed that I'm not eligible.

In what should be the pinnacle of Rugby League throughout the world, this competition rates a very poor last behind the NRL's Grand Final and State of Origin..

Throw in the SL Grand Final and the Berala Bears Under 8s last win as well.

Rory

Juniors
sione mata'utia and tautau moga have withdrawn through to injury. Replaced by frank winterstien and tim lafai. Thoughts?

Latest posts