What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 Vs Brisbane

Munky

Coach
Broncs have got a pretty fair side. Fell away sharply last year but up until the business end they were capable of beating anyone. I think they’re are better than some make out they are.

Their side is pretty stacked.

Except at hooker. One of their tries was Walters getting totally mixed up and the following adlib came good.

Reynolds playing the whole season could be an issue though.

Iamback

Coach
Broncs have got a pretty fair side. Fell away sharply last year but up until the business end they were capable of beating anyone. I think they’re are better than some make out they are.

I am not down playing them

We play Souths, Roosters, Storm and Parra twice. all of whom will finish higher than the Broncs
They will copy and perfect the game plan Broncos and St Helens used.

Those sides will give us a bath with the same attacking setup we ran last night

maple_69

Bench
I’d have Kenny play the first 25 and then bring Luke on for the rest of the game. He looked fine in defence with the likes of Leota/Yeo/Fish alongside and obviously night and day in the ruck.

I still think a similar tandem for the left edge would be our best bet with Hosking playing that tough first 30 and Tago the more open back 50. I think those two tweaks allows the side to play the game the way they’re used to with adjustments over the season to suit Tago/Jenkins/Cole/Luke and their strengths.

The fact that our key (most of the squad) guys had the World Cup interrupting the off season will be a learning curve, like Origin was in 2021. Hopefully we warm into the season.

Edwards, Martin & Leota were huge.

Blade23

Juniors
I get that there's two sides to the game but Luke has added so much more offensively then Kenny does defensively.

Get him on after 20.

They will in time.
Just to clear up on Luke. He had a disrupted pre-season and obviously didn't trial. The plan for him last night was one stint only, for about 20-25 minutes. Depending on how the match was progressing for when he would be injected.
After the Broncs jumped out to 12-6. The plan shifted to him being bought on fresh for the last quarter of the match against tiring forwards. He will get built up to 2 stints.

Not everything went well last night. There were missed opportunities and the attack didn't have its usual rhythm. Just need a few tweaks. With recent departures and a change in personal (spine) an adjustment period will take time before they sing. Fortunately the bones are there and some of the players last night are capable of better performances.

maple_69

Bench
Good insight. Two stints is interesting given it requires two interchanges. That only leaves one interchange for the back row/injuries. Unless Kenny doesn’t come off and there’s a bit of a shuffle through the middles.

Leota-Sorenson 20m
Fish-Leniu 25m
Kenny-Luke 25m
Luke-Kenny 50m
Leniu-Fish 55m
Sorenson-Leota 60m
Kenny-Luke 65m

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Good insight. Two stints is interesting given it requires two interchanges. That only leaves one interchange for the back row/injuries. Unless Kenny doesn’t come off and there’s a bit of a shuffle through the middles.

Leota-Sorenson 20m
Fish-Leniu 25m
Kenny-Luke 25m
Luke-Kenny 50m
Leniu-Fish 55m
Sorenson-Leota 60m
Kenny-Luke 65m

Or Luke eventually starts and goes off for a breather and comes back on later?

Iamback

Coach

Leota-Sorenson 20m
Fish-Leniu 25m
Kenny-Luke 25m
Luke-Kenny 50m
Leniu-Fish 55m
Sorenson-Leota 60m
Kenny-Luke 65m

Yeah and why you don't usually see hookers playing 2 stints

box57l

Juniors
The Broncos were very committed, defence was excellent they will be likely top 8 if they have a good run with injury.

We had plenty of football in good field position but just didn’t quite capitalise. I have no doubt had we of levelled things up earlier than we did we would have gone onto win.

It was an incredibly frustrating game to watch live, no idea how it would have appeared on TV. Gerald Sutton allowed the Broncos considerable latitude in the ruck, play the ball and on more than one occasion held up play which allowed the Broncos to take a breath. Not sour grapes, just the way it was. Frustrating.

Our defence for the majority of the game was excellent, the effort likewise another tough game next week.
It appears based on the WCC and this game the ruck will be refereed a lot slower, the "played the ball too fast" crap will impact us along with our tempo.

Iamback

Coach
I would like to judge us on dry track first. 2 games so far at night when its wet.

That 1st try we scored is how we need to attack.

Cleary didn't throw a few passes when we had them for numbers

Of course the Luai/ Salmon argument on some other attacking threats

Still concerning

BxTom

Bench
They will in time.
Just to clear up on Luke. He had a disrupted pre-season and obviously didn't trial. The plan for him last night was one stint only, for about 20-25 minutes. Depending on how the match was progressing for when he would be injected.
After the Broncs jumped out to 12-6. The plan shifted to him being bought on fresh for the last quarter of the match against tiring forwards. He will get built up to 2 stints.

Not everything went well last night. There were missed opportunities and the attack didn't have its usual rhythm. Just need a few tweaks. With recent departures and a change in personal (spine) an adjustment period will take time before they sing. Fortunately the bones are there and some of the players last night are capable of better performances.
Thank you for some sanity @Blade23. So many are panicking because we lost the first game of the season by a point. Never judge a season on the first three or four rounds. Broncos might not win another game this season and we might not lose again. It's just to early to say. Nearly every season starts out topsy turvy...

I think we’ve made a mistake not recruiting another hooker. I know there was some talk they were looking at one, but not sure what happened. Just someone who can pass the ball quicker than Kenny would make a difference.

maple_69

Bench
It appears based on the WCC and this game the ruck will be refereed a lot slower, the "played the ball too fast" crap will impact us along with our tempo.
The one Luke was pinged for was disgraceful. Gets up on both feet lightning quick but because a bloke is hanging on from the ground he's penalised? Then you have the Storm planting the ball with knees on the ground, Hodgson walks back to marker as he has a right to, and is penalised for inadvertently knocking a ball out which had no right to be there.

maple_69

Bench
I think we’ve made a mistake not recruiting another hooker. I know there was some talk they were looking at one, but not sure what happened. Just someone who can pass the ball quicker than Kenny would make a difference.
Whatever happened to the young Warriors hooker we had reportedly signed? Doesn't seem to be in any of their squads. Ryley Smith playing 5/8 in Flegg is interesting as well. Wonder if its just to round out parts of his game. Would love to know what the club sees as the pecking order in terms of NRL potential at hooker between Smith, Mason & Sommerton.

Latest posts