What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

Joely01

Bench
You're missing the point. Given three equal wing options this year, why not make the decision based on who will definitely be at the club next year? To me that's the only difference between the three players.

Toutai and Radradra are already contracted for next year. With playing ability between the three being equal, it makes sense to give the first shot to the two that will be at the club next year regardless of what Sio does.

I swear you talk so much you forget what you say, you said before you reckon Sio is the best winger at the club.
Now they are equal?? Make up your mind without twisting it another way to make it sound like you knew what you were talking about all along.

I think your logic is totally wrong, especially at the start of the season, you pick your best 17 regardless if they are here next year, we can't afford another year of finishing last.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I swear you talk so much you forget what you say, you said before you reckon Sio is the best winger at the club.

Well I did. But the off season is a time for reassessment, and the coach has had a better look at them than I have. I'll trust his judgement over my own.

Anyway I saw the three of them on the Nines (admittedly not proper footy) and Sio was the least effective of the three.

Now I reckon Sio is at best the equal of Toutai and Radradra. They must have caught up to him over the off season.

Now they are equal?? Make up your mind without twisting it another way to make it sound like you knew what you were talking about all along.

What do you mean 'make up your mind'? Your opinion should always be subject to the facts, and when the evidence changes so should your opinion.

Or do you still think Fui's still the best front rower at the club because he was three years ago?

I think your logic is totally wrong, especially at the start of the season, you pick your best 17 regardless if they are here next year, we can't afford another year of finishing last.

My logic is fine. All else being equal, look to the future. If Sio really was better than the two wingers who got picked, then he wouldn't be playing for Wenty.

hindy111

Post Whore
People are making it sound like Morgan was picked over Hayne.
Sio is just an average winger.Sio has more experience but hey Vai probably has more potential long term.Vai is stronger, speed wise not sure.And hands well by memory Vai had hands like feet but i only saw the odd game when he played. Sio didn't set the world on fire last year. I am still shocked with Semi. I think he has too many mistake in him but oh well

Someone

Bench
People are making it sound like Morgan was picked over Hayne.
Sio is just an average winger.Sio has more experience but hey Vai probably has more potential long term.Vai is stronger, speed wise not sure.And hands well by memory Vai had hands like feet but i only saw the odd game when he played. Sio didn't set the world on fire last year. I am still shocked with Semi. I think he has too many mistake in him but oh well

the thing about size is you already have it. if BA is doing his job and coaching these fools, then discrepancies in their games like handling errors would have been, or is constantly being addressed. these guys arent here because they have no talent, Vai was in u18 and u20s origin.

Sio on the other hand will never be a big, damaging winger. he will be a consistent finisher though and if his career ends up elsewhere i wish him the best the luck. He may claw his way back though.

caylo

Bench
With the side there are obvious question marks over positions but i dont think any of them are left field.
Vai over Sio is probably the most unexpected but we do have to remember that Sio had a horrid run last year and couldn't catch a bomb and possibly these problems are still plaguing him. I personally prefer Sio but I will reserve my judgment.
To me the rest of the backline was a no brainier although I would love to see Falou given a shot some time this year. I also personally prefer Kelly to Sandow and can't wait for sandow to be released even if his form improves. To me Sandow is in direct competition with Norman, who is miles ahead of him.
On the pack I like the backrow, I suspect Edwards will play through the middle and drift wide on both edges to help create overlaps or run decoys. He is a smart player and has decent ball skills for someone his size without being a risk like Paulo. I like Smith and Ma'u as backrowers because they add the flexibility and mobility to the forward pack and both promote second phase play.
When Loko and Paulo are fit I would like to see them push for a bench spot.

natheel

Coach
If we can complete our sets with high completion rate that will take us a long way to winning against a team like Warriors. Yes they have some danger guys in Tomkins and Johnson but Tomkins is still unproven at NRL. yes he performed well in a trial and in the nines but that was in a climate that is similar to what he is used to with playing in English summer. It's going to be a fairly warm day on sunday and we will no doubt be targeting him with the high ball and really working him over. I think we will go well.

mxlegend99

Referee
Only issue for Eels will be a big group of young and/or inexperienced forwards against a pretty intimidating Warriors side. So many young guys against a big, fast and powerful side like the Warriors could put you at a huge disadvantage . If they can hold their own though, there 's no reason the Eels can't win this game.

Warriors could also just as easily fail to show up and Eels could win by a fair margin. But if Warriors show up, then the Eels should feel proud just to match it with them in their first game with this side. So many new guys around the park, i expect them to take 5/6 weeks to gel and play the footy they're capable of.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Apart from Johnston our spine ( 1,6,9) is better then the warriors. Also I think we have the edge with our centres. If hoppa/ tonga stay fit they are potentially one of the better centre combo in the nrl.

hindy111

Post Whore
So do most want to give Falou a shot cause of his name? I mean people also where saying he had a lot to learn last year and even some said he wasnt anywhere near first grade material.

eel01s

Bench
I have more confidence in Semi, Sio and Toutai as first grade wingers than I would in Folau based on what I have seen of him.

So do most want to give Falou a shot cause of his name? I mean people also where saying he had a lot to learn last year and even some said he wasnt anywhere near first grade material.

We've never had a decent player called John, so I guess he could be the first.

I'd hope there are a few blokes ahead of him in the queue at the moment, but who knows, he might be one of those guys that suddenly get his head down and improves rapidly.

Gronk

Staff member
We've never had a decent player called John, so I guess he could be the first.

I'd hope there are a few blokes ahead of him in the queue at the moment, but who knows, he might be one of those guys that suddenly get his head down and improves rapidly.

John McMartin
John Kolc
John Quayle
John Peard
John Muggleton
John Simon

All rep players IIRC ;-)

Latest posts