What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

84 Baby

Referee
My only concern with Vai over Sio is whether they've taught Vai how to play wing over the off-season. Just cause centres are viewed as "better" players than wingers, doesn't mean all centres can play wing. Loving the selection of Semi though. You can't teach size, speed & aggression.

forward pass

Coach
Not surprised by Semi, Vai, Ma'u or Edwards selections at all.

The biggest shock to me is Ben Smith. Exactly what BA thinks he offers the side I am not sure about.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm not, but he re-signed last year, and young players rarely sign one year contracts.

Are you sure he re-signed last year? I dont remember anything about him re-signing and was actually surprised to see him at pre-season training because I thought we punted him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you sure he re-signed last year? I dont remember anything about him re-signing and was actually surprised to see him at pre-season training because I thought we punted him.

He was unsigned when the club released the recruitment/retention update on 05 July. Now he's signed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My only concern with Vai over Sio is whether they've taught Vai how to play wing over the off-season. Just cause centres are viewed as "better" players than wingers, doesn't mean all centres can play wing.

I think he was identified as better suited to wing than centre. He played centre in NYC as a 19 year old in 2012, but he started last year on the wing, and played every NYC game (except one) on the wing before playing wing in first grade.

He absolutely looks like a modern winger to me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet in previous comments u preference was Morgan or Sio over Toutai.

I also used to think Fui was the best front rower at the club. But things change.

Sio was our best winger last year but the coach obviously thinks Toutai and Radradra have surpassed him during the off season. Or at least caught up.

The off season is a time of change. Older players (generally) get worse and young players (generally) improve. How much they improve or decline is different from player to player, and the coach is better placed than me (or you) to judge who is where in the pecking order.

The only time I've seen them all play since last season was in the Nines, and both Toutai and Radradra were more effective than Sio. Not that that means anything in isolation, but coupled with the fact that the coach has picked Toutai and Radradra ahead of Sio tells me that Sio is no longer the best winger in the team.

As for Morgan, he's not a winger. I'm sure he can play there and do a decent job, but he's not powerful enough to offer what we want from a winger. I would have had Morgan and Tonga in the centres with Hopoate on the wing, but really I trust the coach's judgement. You should too, because even if he's a shit coach he knows better than us.

lingard

Coach
Correct me if im wrong but before Vai made his debut people on here where raving on about him.Cant wait too see him play. Now he has had all 15 games and he is no good?
Sio is decent but no world beater.Vai may have impressed the coach.He is Tafua like in build. From what ive seen about him and Semi-well they look clumsy but both also loo to have more potenital than Sio or Hunt.

If i can say one thing BA has picked his side, and shown some real balls doing so.Safer options where hunt and sio with allgood and gower in the team .
This team looks raw but also a little exciting as well.Just hopefully K.edwards and Mau are late bloomers

Yep. I'm also impressed that Arthur had the balls to drop Sandow. Not an easy decision for a rookie coach.

Yep. I'm also impressed that Arthur had the balls to drop Sandow. Not an easy decision for a rookie coach.

maybe he decided to put sandow out of the spotlight at wenty to work on his game without the media buzzing around him like flies around a turd

lingard

Coach
People are making it sound like Morgan was picked over Hayne.
Sio is just an average winger.Sio has more experience but hey Vai probably has more potential long term.Vai is stronger, speed wise not sure.And hands well by memory Vai had hands like feet but i only saw the odd game when he played. Sio didn't set the world on fire last year. I am still shocked with Semi. I think he has too many mistake in him but oh well

Really? I think Radradra is the best winger we have.

lingard

Coach
maybe he decided to put sandow out of the spotlight at wenty to work on his game without the media buzzing around him like flies around a turd

Nah. If Sandow hasn't gotten his game together by now, he never will. I reckon he won't play first grade for us again.

hindy111

Post Whore
Radarada is big fast and strong, my impression is he isn't the smartest winger.Can see him doing silly things like going for too much and being thrown into touch rather than cut back in. I have seen him 5-6 times.And there is promise there.As I said before him and Vai have more potential than Morgan-sio and guessing Hunt( I haven't seen a lot of )But those three are probably all safer and smarter players.IMO

Latest posts