What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think no penalty, because if it's a penalty, it's a penalty try. The only reason they gave a penalty is because the guy was bleeding.

What the refs needed to do was exercise some common sense by putting Terepo on report for the tackle, and getting on with the game. By putting him on report, the Warriors would have been able to sub off the guy who was hurt (if they needed to), and no penalty would have been required.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Triple m posted this on twitter

BiRZmUBCYAA5uwg.png

Was there not an incident in the Thurs or Fri night game where someone was fouled while a try was being scored, yet no penalty try was given?

I think perhaps the Doggies with the kick through, someone got tackled without the ball or something, and another Dog scored. Yet no penalty try given.

For mine, that one was black and white penalty try - Terepo clocked a falling player, and not with his fist, he was simply trying to tackle the bloke. Report him for a careless tackle and get on with it...

oldmancraigy

Coach
We made 8 line breaks, the most of any side for the weekend

We also scored the most tries with dragon with 7 tries.

Attack wasn't to bad - the same game last year our attack was basically the sandow/Hayne show, last night we had a team effort with some set structured plays which lead to tries.

Other sides hopefully will have to shut down more then Hayne now if last nights performance was an indicator of our attack for the year

Let's be fair, we completely butchered a couple of tries as well.

Toutai just has to hold the ball for a try in the corner.
Ma'u just has to pass it to Hayne early on, and he's under the sticks.

I think in terms of point scoring, as long as our forwards get over the ad-line, we'll score a stack of points this season. Tonga/ Hoppa are excellent attacking centers, Radradra looks a good finisher. Norman is an attacking weapon. We know what Hayne can do. There's just a LOT of strike power in the side compared to past seasons.

I think no penalty, because if it's a penalty, it's a penalty try. The only reason they gave a penalty is because the guy was bleeding.

What the refs needed to do was exercise some common sense by putting Terepo on report for the tackle, and getting on with the game. By putting him on report, the Warriors would have been able to sub off the guy who was hurt (if they needed to), and no penalty would have been required.

Which it would have been if the player hadn't scored (ala the 1999 Storm/Illawarra GF).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Which it would have been if the player hadn't scored (ala the 1999 Storm/Illawarra GF).

For him not to score, he would have had to knock him out (ala the '99 Storm/Illawarra GF) - Ainscough clocked the bloke with a closed fist to the jaw.

Terepo was making a tackle, and as Hayne said to the referee, it happens 100 times a game and no penalty is given.

It wasn't even a swinging arm, his arm was well below his own shoulder (below his waist!), and he was simply making an attempt to grab the bloke.....

Was there not an incident in the Thurs or Fri night game where someone was fouled while a try was being scored, yet no penalty try was given?

I think perhaps the Doggies with the kick through, someone got tackled without the ball or something, and another Dog scored. Yet no penalty try given.

For mine, that one was black and white penalty try - Terepo clocked a falling player, and not with his fist, he was simply trying to tackle the bloke. Report him for a careless tackle and get on with it...

Didn't have to award a penalty try because an actual try was scored. And given the uncertainty around whether the player being tackled would have scored or not in the Dogs game, it was never be given as a penalty try.

And the Possible 8 point try rule posted by Triple M, might be correct, but it is not how it is interpreted by the refs. They mention the word "foul" (which could mean anything from holding back, tripping etc), where as I think the way the rule is applied, there needs to be "foul play" involved (ie hitting someone illegally).

For him not to score, he would have had to knock him out (ala the '99 Storm/Illawarra GF) - Ainscough clocked the bloke with a closed fist to the jaw.

Terepo was making a tackle, and as Hayne said to the referee, it happens 100 times a game and no penalty is given.

It wasn't even a swinging arm, his arm was well below his own shoulder (below his waist!), and he was simply making an attempt to grab the bloke.....

I think you would find that if Terepo does the same thing (ie make a tackle and unintentionally clocks the guy in head) and the player drops the ball over the line it would be given as a penalty try 99/100.

Like alot of things, there are simply different rules applied when it comes to the matter of scoring tries.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Just so we're clear, this is the tackle a penalty try is being given for:

Untitled.jpg

The resolution is crap, but you can see he has an open hand, and the tackle is only high because the player is ducking. There is nothing reckless nor dangerous about it, it is simple an accident that he got a bleeding nose out of it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think you would find that if Terepo does the same thing (ie make a tackle and unintentionally clocks the guy in head) and the player drops the ball over the line it would be given as a penalty try 99/100.

Like alot of things, there are simply different rules applied when it comes to the matter of scoring tries.

There aren't different rules applied to scoring tries.

When a player is out, he is out. When he is tackled, he is tackled. When he is fouled, he is fouled. The referee clearly thought this was a foul, I'm suggesting he needs to visit his sponsor again.

oldmancraigy

Coach

I bet WITH THE TACKLE THAT WAS MADE it would not be awarded penalty try ever if the guys nose wasn't bleeding, regardless of whether or not he drops the ball.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Just a case in point, Semi's 3rd (whether or not he got the ball down we're not discussing!) is a high tackle, clearly higher than the Terepo tackle. My screen capture skills are limited, but you can see that what begins as a high tackle ends up at this stage:

Untitled-1.jpg

Why is this not a penalty try?

Had his nose started bleeding, I wonder if they would have gone upstairs to give us 2 kicks at goal?

Bigfella

Coach
I always thought that the 8 point try was reserved for a foul committed while the player was in the act of scoring a try. Given that this happened before he grounded the ball is he really in the act of scoring?

I might be wrong about the rule though too.

Just so we're clear, this is the tackle a penalty try is being given for:

Untitled.jpg

The resolution is crap, but you can see he has an open hand, and the tackle is only high because the player is ducking. There is nothing reckless nor dangerous about it, it is simple an accident that he got a bleeding nose out of it.

You do realise that there is a difference between a penalty try and a "possible 8 point try" right?

Anytime a guy walks away from a tackle with a bleeding nose as a result of the tacklers arm hitting him in the face (regardless of whether it is reckless or dangerous) will always come under scrutiny, particularly if the player lays down. And in this instance, whilst CT did lay down, it was with good reason because blood was pissing out of his nose.

There aren't different rules applied to scoring tries.

When a player is out, he is out. When he is tackled, he is tackled. When he is fouled, he is fouled. The referee clearly thought this was a foul, I'm suggesting he needs to visit his sponsor again.

There certainly are different rules in terms of tries.

Double movement being the obvious one. JH wouldn't have been penalised in the open field for what he did.

Also I've never seen a dummy half get pinged for "obstruction" after pushing past the guy playing the ball in general play, but do that in the act of scoring and it will be a penalty every day of the week.

Joely01

Bench
The 8 point try was a joke. The guy was falling at the time...

The refereeing as a whole last night was disgraceful, going up stairs every try, felt like there was 25 penalties blown.

Joely01

Bench
There certainly are different rules in terms of tries.

Double movement being the obvious one. JH wouldn't have been penalised in the open field for what he did.

Also I've never seen a dummy half get pinged for "obstruction" after pushing past the guy playing the ball in general play, but do that in the act of scoring and it will be a penalty every day of the week.

I don't think Haynes try was a double movement. Slow motion made it look much worse then what it was, in really time it looked like he just got flicked over with momentum.

I don't think Haynes try was a double movement. Slow motion made it look much worse then what it was, in really time it looked like he just got flicked over with momentum.

I'm not totally convinced it was either. But I would have been screaming blue murder if a try was given to the Warriors under the same circumstances. Just like I would have been calling for an "possible 8 point try" in the CT/Terepo situation if the roles had been reversed.

Latest posts