What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

Gronk

Staff member
That was a great performance. It's the way they defended that makes me
Proud. Very aggressive. Manu Mau is a freakn beast.

Agree with you merkin.

Best first grade debut ever ? I'd like to hear about a better one. Runs hard, can swerve and set and offload.

Pretty happy with the entire squad, with improvements needed in the completion rate, goal kicking and repeat set options when we get in deep.

Not sold on Kelly, but if he loses his gig it will because Sandow has found form and consistency to oust him.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Everyone went ok except maybe

Edwards, Peni, Tanginoa (not alot of game time) then Paulo

3 runs for 17 meters and 30 replaceable tackles is enough to exempt Ben smith?

I was surprised to that he was chosen to hit up after mannah a couple of times but he did sfa besides that

Chipmunk

Coach
So I have now only just found out that Semi is only 21. I thought he was much older, in his mid to late 20s. Given this he shows plenty of potential. He has looked pretty good when playing outside Willie Tonga, even late last year. I look forward to seeing him develop

Chipmunk

Coach
I agree, especially if Peats continues to play 80. Mannah, Terepo and Lussick can all play big minutes up front. Smith, The Chairman, Edwards and Kelepi (when back to full fitness) can all push 80. Might as well throw in some injury coverage (in the shape of Paulo) than another hard running back rower who might see 10 minutes of game time.

I still think down the track we could consider Sandow in the 14.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interesting - normally whenever we got a penalty Hayne/mannah would make a decision fairly quickly. Last night on a few occasions it seemed like the boys were having a general meeting between Kelly, Norman , peats and Hayne to decide. I like it as it hopefully shows we now finally have a few leaders in the side rather then all the pressure on Hayne

Tommy Coco

Juniors
Presuming that Peni will get a week for the 8 point infringment, does Jnr fit straight back in. He wasn't sighted over the weekend. Do we know if he is fit?

forward pass

Coach
I thought our performance v warriors last year was much more impressive than last nights.

Defence was awesome. But I was a bit underwhelmed by our attack. Peats was good, Manu was tremendous but we need to improve a lot to trouble the better defences.

Apart from the Manu break early in the game, we hardly made a bust, or put a player through a gap. We really need to have more straight runners. Maybe I am being a pessimist and don 't mean to be but can't get overly excited yet.

But overall a nice start to the year.

Bigfella

Coach
The best part of the defence for mine was the confidence. We seemed prepared to give away penalties if it meant keeping a good line. Last few years we have folded immediately on repeat sets. Last night we defended multiple.

Kick chase was brilliant as well.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
just the fact that a backrower and a hooker were our best on ground (both new(ish) additions) is a massively positive sign for the rest of the season.

forward pass

Coach
If he gets a week for that - then the game has become a joke. It didn't even deserve a penalty. As TEITR said - the guy was diving for a try. How can you go low.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I thought our performance v warriors last year was much more impressive than last nights.

Defence was awesome. But I was a bit underwhelmed by our attack. Peats was good, Manu was tremendous but we need to improve a lot to trouble the better defences.

Apart from the Manu break early in the game, we hardly made a bust, or put a player through a gap. We really need to have more straight runners. Maybe I am being a pessimist and don 't mean to be but can't get overly excited yet.

But overall a nice start to the year.

We made 8 line breaks, the most of any side for the weekend

We also scored the most tries with dragon with 7 tries.

Attack wasn't to bad - the same game last year our attack was basically the sandow/Hayne show, last night we had a team effort with some set structured plays which lead to tries.

Other sides hopefully will have to shut down more then Hayne now if last nights performance was an indicator of our attack for the year

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Although our defence was solid across the park all night, I really thought the warrior's attack was poor.

They looked flat to me, and tried going up the middle to much. They reminded me of our attack over the last couple of years. No bodies in motion, decoys and definitely didn't test us.

That will come next week against the roosters.

Daneel

Bench
We made 8 line breaks, the most of any side for the weekend

We also scored the most tries with dragon with 7 tries.

Attack wasn't to bad - the same game last year our attack was basically the sandow/Hayne show, last night we had a team effort with some set structured plays which lead to tries.

Some people are just hard to please

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Presuming that Peni will get a week for the 8 point infringment, does Jnr fit straight back in. He wasn't sighted over the weekend. Do we know if he is fit?

I think Peni might be alright, this is his first infringment I think.

Just on the 8 pointer, Im not 100% on the rules, isnt an 8 pointer if an act of foul play, happened after he scored?

In last nights case it happened while he was scoring a try.

Daneel

Bench

Just on the 8 pointer, Im not 100% on the rules, isnt an 8 pointer if an act of foul play, happened after he scored?

It has to be in the act of scoring. If it happens after he scores than no 8 point try

Gronk

Staff member

Triple m posted this on twitter

BiRZmUBCYAA5uwg.png

Eels Dude

Coach
It has to be in the act of scoring. If it happens after he scores than no 8 point try

Not true. All those 8 point tries that started getting awarded a couple of years back when they changed the leading with the feet rule came after the ball had been grounded.

If he gets a week for that - then the game has become a joke. It didn't even deserve a penalty. As TEITR said - the guy was diving for a try. How can you go low.

I'll disagree with you on the penalty though. I think they have to give a penalty in that situation, I just don't think it deserves a charge/suspension.

Latest posts