What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 16: Eels v Sea Eagles (Arthur Family Cup) GAME DAY THREAD

Chipmunk

Coach
Simmonson is coming along as a Left Centre. I think I'd probably prefer we purchased a better option going forward next season, but he's worth persevering with for at least the rest of the season.

A better Right Wing than Russell would be handy though. Are we still keen on the Forbes Ferrari?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm not saying Matto had a bad game, because his effort plays were there. But he's not a 6 and to be frankly didn't play like a 6. We were lucky that the side we played basically beat themselves.

We were lucky today that we didn't need a kicking game or really functioning halves to win the match. Gutho layed on most of the plays, thank f**k for that.

Asi kicked really well on the whole.

Had a far superior kicking game to his counterpoint tonight. Which shouldn't surprise us because that is what the powers that be at the club thought. They had Asi higher in the pecking order and saw fit to release Jake to find opportunity elsewhere.

Chipmunk

Coach
You have to give a bye to some of the other teams in the 8, so they will all jump us again.

Most likely we finish the round in 7th or 8th.
If we can win next week we go into the bye having set up the back end of the season to give ourselves a chance to finish top 4
Such a close comp. No matter what happens the rest of the weekend, only two wins between 2nd and 11th.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Asi kicked really well on the whole.

Had a far superior kicking game to his counterpoint tonight. Which shouldn't surprise us because that is what the powers that be at the club thought. They had Asi higher in the pecking order and saw fit to release Jake to find opportunity elsewhere.
No. If Asi was higher in the pecking order he would've played in Canberra.

Asi was already in the squad so Arthur wasn't keeping him out. If Arthur's was arseholed to make room for anyone it would be someone like Sanders, who has more potential. But he isn't as good an NRL backup as Jake Arthur this year, and maybe not even next year. Luckily if we dominate possession it doesn't much matter who our halves are, and Asi is doing just fine.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Such a close comp. No matter what happens the rest of the weekend, only two wins between 2nd and 11th.
We need to write this year off and build for 2024. Didn't we re-sign Arthur's so that we could keep Mahoney and Papali'i? Gee that f**ken backfired. Their teams are killing it!

Chipmunk

Coach
We won't make the eight ffs. It is 2018 all over again!!! It's time for a change.

I'm thinking the fans should try not pissing our knickers as soon as we lose a couple of games.
In fairness, all of these views were made based on the attitude and decisions of the coaching staff early in the season, which it seemed was going to be the philosophy for the whole season, which was:
- We'll turn every average player who was new to the club over the offseason into a world beater
- Hodgson will be an 80 minute hooker
- Hopgood doesn't need a rest and can play 80
- Only 15 1/2 interchanges will be used as all of our backups are shit
- Paulo and RCG need to play 60-65 minutes every week because we pay them a lot
- Waqa Blake is NRL standard
- Jake Arthur will have career as a 7 in the NRL
- BA is a stubborn merkin.

The last point needed to change for the Head Coach to take a bit of humble pie and work out he might have been wrong with some things. Had all of those things remained the same, we would still be struggling.

But, I'm glad BA has adapted and he should be given some credit for no longer being a stubborn merkin and worked out that if things were going to continue as he planned then we were going nowhere.

Wally21

Bench
So just back from the game, breath tested on the way out on Vic Road and even though I had 2 beers over 4 hours, still had that weird feeling… but all good!
Gutho, Hopgood, simonson and even Ogden and Makatoa were outstanding.
geez Luca Moretti looked good in his 18 mins.
Asi was very safe and whilst no Moses, had a very good game.
if that team list was shown to me without any context, I would have thought we would have got done by 40. So all in all an outstanding night.
Lastly, got to give BA credit for his selections and how good the defence has been over the last month or so and as Pete said, to Barrett for our attack.

Homo man69

Juniors
Simmonson is coming along as a Left Centre. I think I'd probably prefer we purchased a better option going forward next season, but he's worth persevering with for at least the rest of the season.

A better Right Wing than Russell would be handy though. Are we still keen on the Forbes Ferrari?
Simmonson is playing similar to Opacic at the end of last season. He's solid but would prefer one of the Bulldogs centres