What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 16: Eels v Sea Eagles (Arthur Family Cup) GAME DAY THREAD

Homo man69

Juniors
In fairness, all of these views were made based on the attitude and decisions of the coaching staff early in the season, which it seemed was going to be the philosophy for the whole season, which was:
- We'll turn every average player who was new to the club over the offseason into a world beater
- Hodgson will be an 80 minute hooker
- Hopgood doesn't need a rest and can play 80
- Only 15 1/2 interchanges will be used as all of our backups are shit
- Paulo and RCG need to play 60-65 minutes every week because we pay them a lot
- Waqa Blake is NRL standard
- Jake Arthur will have career as a 7 in the NRL
- BA is a stubborn merkin.

The last point needed to change for the Head Coach to take a bit of humble pie and work out he might have been wrong with some things. Had all of those things remained the same, we would still be struggling.

But, I'm glad BA has adapted and he should be given some credit for no longer being a stubborn merkin and worked out that if things were going to continue as he planned then we were going nowhere.
He still picked Davey and the only reason Hodgson isn't our main hooker is due to injury. Our attack improves with Hands but BA persists with Hodgson?? I don't get it

jason taylor

Bench
Simmonson is coming along as a Left Centre. I think I'd probably prefer we purchased a better option going forward next season, but he's worth persevering with for at least the rest of the season.

A better Right Wing than Russell would be handy though. Are we still keen on the Forbes Ferrari?
You’re dreaming if you think Staines is better than Russell. Reminds me of the argument that we should get Daine Laurie and play him at fullback instead of Gutho.

id give Russell more time. I think he’s on track to develop as a very handy winger. We don’t need an all flash but no substance Ferrari.

Chipmunk

Coach
You’re dreaming if you think Staines is better than Russell. Reminds me of the argument that we should get Daine Laurie and play him at fullback instead of Gutho.

id give Russell more time. I think he’s on track to develop as a very handy winger. We don’t need an all flash but no substance Ferrari.
Yeah, I'm not sure Staines is any better myself.

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
Simmonson is coming along as a Left Centre. I think I'd probably prefer we purchased a better option going forward next season, but he's worth persevering with for at least the rest of the season.

A better Right Wing than Russell would be handy though. Are we still keen on the Forbes Ferrari?

I’m more than happy with Simonsson in that left centre position going forward. He’s current form is up there with the cream of the crop.

King-Gutho94

Coach
If Dylbags is available from June 28 we are a genuine premiership shot.

Penrith we can handle at our best.
Souths we have beaten the bogey with our demolition at Allianz.
Storm we have aimed up and defeated in the past 3 years.
Broncos haven't proven themselves in finals yet.

We can win it and don't underestimate the last round bye will come in very handy imo

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In fairness, all of these views were made based on the attitude and decisions of the coaching staff early in the season, which it seemed was going to be the philosophy for the whole season, which was:
- We'll turn every average player who was new to the club over the offseason into a world beater
Where did you get this idea? We have had to play backups because we've had players unavailable. None of them have been given responsibilities they can't handle.
- Hodgson will be an 80 minute hooker
Again, false. He was given three games to prove whether or not he could do it, then we brought Hands in. It was one of the earliest adjustments we made.
- Hopgood doesn't need a rest and can play 80
Where the f**k do you get these shit ideas from? Hopgood has played more 80 minute games (two of them) in the past month than he did in the first month (only played a full game against Melbourne). It depends how much defence he's had to do and whether or not we need him out there. He played 80 in the wins over Souths and the Cowboys. It's an option. It was an option in round one and it's an option still today. Nothing has changed.
- Only 15 1/2 interchanges will be used as all of our backups are shit
The backups are as trustworthy as they have proven to be. That's a fact for every coach, not just Brad Arthur.
- Paulo and RCG need to play 60-65 minutes every week because we pay them a lot
He has never played them for 60 minutes every week. Like with Hopgood, it depends on how much work they've had to do in defence (are they gassed) and whether we can afford to rest them (i.e. is the score close).
- Waqa Blake is NRL standard
163 NRL games says he is.
- Jake Arthur will have career as a 7 in the NRL
He had no trouble finding another NRL backup gig.
- BA is a stubborn merkin.
He sticks to his guns, which is what you want from a coach. Knee jerk reactions won't get you into a grand final. They certainly won't get you 130 career wins.
The last point needed to change for the Head Coach to take a bit of humble pie and work out he might have been wrong with some things. Had all of those things remained the same, we would still be struggling.

But, I'm glad BA has adapted and he should be given some credit for no longer being a stubborn merkin and worked out that if things were going to continue as he planned then we were going nowhere.
He has already proven he knows what he's doing and when things need to change. He has persisted with players who dopey fans demanded to get rid of (e.g. Gutherson, Simonsson, Drown) and he has persisted with players who eventually overstayed their welcome (e.g. Norman, Edwards). Without the latter you don't get the former. Bellamy got to a grand final with Croft and then played him right up until round 22 the following year (they were leading the comp at the time) when he decided Papenhuyzen should start (shifting Hughes to the halves). The information required to make these decisions doesn't emerge straight away. Quite often the alternate options aren't demanding selection either.

But Arthur knows what he's doing, and he's known it long before we beat Souths three weeks ago (incidentally, besides Hopgood's 80 minutes that week, Paulo played 72 and Hodgson 54). Recent wins over a couple of dud sides doesn't really signal anything about what Brad Arthur's has learnt, that geniuses like yourself knew all along.

Latest posts