What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 20 Non Parramatta Games

Gazzamatta

Coach
We won the spoon the year before that. And finished 4th and 5th in the years on either side.

Says the bloke making excuses for an opposition coach. Crowing about ninth place ffs. That's where we finished in Arthur's first year after winning the spoon. But it's awesome when some other coach does it. Ninth f**king place and you're celebrating. What are you, a Tigers fan?
Its more the way they have improved their D&A and also their recruitment under their new structure. Nothing great achieved as yet but the green shoots are plentiful. From what was a basket case they now appear to be a club on the rise. More power to them. I think Holbrook has done a magnificent job and is a young coach very much on the rise. Im loving the style of footy they are playing. Anybody who watched yesterdays performance would have to agree.
Brimson.............WOW!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think Hiney has a point about BA having weaknesses. He's far from an elite coach.

But it's hard sometimes to take his points seriously when he goes to such ridiculous lengths to blame BA for everything and then talk up other teams and coaches who have similar weaknesses and flaws....and if Parra do anything well? Thats obviously the players, not the coach.

Dangerous game pointing out his inconsistencies though because you immediately get labelled a BA lover. I don't love BA, I just dislike idiots bleating illogically.

At least @Avenger is happy to admit when he is wrong and gives BA credit where its due.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Seriously, mate. What result this season would satisfy you? If we finish 3rd in the minor premiership, and make the preliminary final, will that the be the sign of a bad coach? Will winning the GF be good enough, or do we have to win the World Club Challenge too? And then win both for 5 consecutive years?
The next 5 GF's will suffice.........

Week 3 and a good showing i think will be a fair result and something to build on but from what we have shown the last couple of months i seriously doubt it i can only seeing us being cannon fodder.

I will even take the players not being strangers each and every time they run on the park, do you think the coach is getting all he can out of squad ATM???? His effort on effort and lets out enthuse them game plan went out with Tommy and Roy Masters.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Its more the way they have improved their D&A and also their recruitment under their new structure. Nothing great achieved as yet but the green shoots are plentiful. From what was a basket case they now appear to be a club on the rise. More power to them. I think Holbrook has done a magnificent job and is a young coach very much on the rise. Im loving the style of footy they are playing. Anybody who watched yesterdays performance would have to agree.
Brimson.............WOW!
I hope he goes well because that region needs to succeed.

It highlights to me that the wraps on him from the ESL and his assistant coaching roles were warranted. He's done well this year and needs to build on it again next year.

Parra are in a different situation though. BA has also greatly improved Parramatta during his time here. The question mark that now exists is whether he can turn us into a premiership team (rather than just a Top 4 team).

If we think we need another coach to help us do that, I'd prefer one that has rather than one that is still finding his way in the NRL.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

It highlights to me that the wraps on him from the ESL and his assistant coaching roles were warranted. He's done well this year and needs to build on it again next year.

Parra are in a different situation though. BA has also greatly improved Parramatta during his time here. The question mark that now exists is whether he can turn us into a premiership team (rather than just a Top 4 team).

If we think we need another coach to help us do that, I'd prefer one that has rather than one that is still finding his way in the NRL.

It's easier to perform when there's no pressure. When they were a chance of making the 8 they were pretty bad

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Effort and enthusiam will always be essential. Would you rather us focus on being lazy merkins?
Not at all but if that's all a coach has he's in massive trouble. 18 weeks straight of tough footy and it isn't as easy to keep those effort area's up no matter how much they want too. You could see how clueless and shocked poor old Bea was after the Souths game.

Gronk

Staff member
Souths had 60% of the ball and won by 60. You can see how shocked and clueless Trent Robinson is. LOL !

Gazzamatta

Coach

Given that the Tits had the wisdom to lock up Holbrook long term I dont necessarily disagree. There arent any with his record or obvious skills that stand out but then again other than Bellamy I dont see much in the older brigade either.
The Eels definitely need to evolve with fresh ideas and different voices. Too much of anything isnt necessarily good. Id love the club to target some new assistants to support BA given hes here a further 2 seasons.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's easier to perform when there's no pressure. When they were a chance of making the 8 they were pretty bad
That's true a bit like the dogs last year, but they did have their best play Brimson out for a large chunk of those games. He's shown the last month how good he is and probably earn't a QLD bench spot.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Hiney has a point about BA having weaknesses. He's far from an elite coach.

But it's hard sometimes to take his points seriously when he goes to such ridiculous lengths to blame BA for everything and then talk up other teams and coaches who have similar weaknesses and flaws....and if Parra do anything well? Thats obviously the players, not the coach.

Dangerous game pointing out his inconsistencies though because you immediately get labelled a BA lover. I don't love BA, I just dislike idiots bleating illogically.

At least @Avenger is happy to admit when he is wrong and gives BA credit where its due.
I don't blame BA for everything, sometimes i like giving him some extra shit just to fire up the likes of you and Pou.

And i also have given him and the whole football department a wrap for the squad they have put together, i think they have done a great job with no 3rd parties to put such a strong squad on paper. I think he has done a lot of great work with the juniors and elite pathways which were a mess when he got here. He has done a lot more good than bad but i just don't see him being capable of getting us to the next level unless he seriously changes his ways and goes out and gets some quality assistants.

Honestly a 7th year coach shouldn't be having these problems in attack especially with such a settled spine, we were one of the few squads to going into this season with the same one yet time and time again they look like they are strangers out there. Just glad it's such an easy fix..........

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Honestly a 7th year coach shouldn't be having these problems in attack especially with such a settled spine, we were one of the few squads to going into this season with the same one yet time and time again they look like they are strangers out there. Just glad it's such an easy fix..........
Why say this and ignore the fact that our offence slump coincided with our spine losing it’s 7 6 and 9 ? The 7 only said last week that his calves have finally stopped giving him grief. 9 is back but can’t play 80 mins. 6 is still not ready and we have nobody in the list capable of helping out the 7 in attack.

Soto

Bench
Souths had 60% of the ball and won by 60. You can see how shocked and clueless Trent Robinson is. LOL !
Against the panfers it was 64/36 possession their way and we lost by 18. 2 tries at the death of each half. We were never in the game but we didn't fold like the rorters last night ( and not further embarrassed with a couple video decisions go their way ) Would Isaac Lui, Joey Manu, Lyndsay Collins stopped the score from being what it was? Maybe somewhat but would have still been a belting.
Against soufs it 55/45 possession in their favour. Completely outclassed, out enthused, outnumbered. In comparison we probably fared ok considering possession % similar to last night's game (61/39).
@hineyrulz agree wholeheartedly about our attack. That's the most concerning part. 2 points scored in those 2 games.
Hopefully Moses calf troubles are over and he takes control and runs. His running game was much better last week.
Dylan being out weakens our attack big time. Fingers crossed he is back nxt week. Definitely need him, Nuikore and RCG on deck for whoever we play next week.
Big game tonight as Tigers ambush is on.
Interesting to see Haze and GJennings stay on the extended bench. Possibly a late call up if Sharks beat Raiders..(Sivo does hammie in the warm up)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Not at all but if that's all a coach has he's in massive trouble. 18 weeks straight of tough footy and it isn't as easy to keep those effort area's up no matter how much they want too. You could see how clueless and shocked poor old Bea was after the Souths game.
I don't think thats all he has. If it was, we wouldn't be in the Top 4.

The fact that you'd use our game against Souths after what happened to the Roosters last night just proves you are being incredibly selective.

...and what point are you trying to make by suggesting that we shouldn't have played 18 straight weeks of 'tough footy'? I don't understand why we shouldn't be doing that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why say this and ignore the fact that our offence slump coincided with our spine losing it’s 7 6 and 9 ? The 7 only said last week that his calves have finally stopped giving him grief. 9 is back but can’t play 80 mins. 6 is still not ready and we have nobody in the list capable of helping out the 7 in attack.
Our attack has been clunky for most the year, we really only put scores on the Tits,Broncos and Cows. And as the football doyen Pou has told us all those 3 teams gave up and we really only put points on them very late. i remember in the Tits game we had about a millions sets in their 20metres and it took over 20 mins for them to crack. They also lost 3 people in that game as well, same as the Broncos game they waved the white flag and we took advantage.

But but but but but.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think thats all he has. If it was, we wouldn't be in the Top 4.

The fact that you'd use our game against Souths after what happened to the Roosters last night just proves you are being incredibly selective.

...and what point are you trying to make by suggesting that we shouldn't have played 18 straight weeks of 'tough footy'? I don't understand why we shouldn't be doing that.
I didn't say we shouldn't try to play 18 weeks of tough footy it's just very hard to do so, look at Goosters last night,Souths the week before. And if thats the main game plan you are gunna have a bad time, you only have to listen to his dribble in the press conference it's all about starting fast and our effort area's.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't blame BA for everything, sometimes i like giving him some extra shit just to fire up the likes of you and Pou.
Ah, the old "I was just winding you up" excuse. That's your go to when you've been exposed like Tarragindi chicken.

And i also have given him and the whole football department a wrap for the squad they have put together, i think they have done a great job with no 3rd parties to put such a strong squad on paper. I think he has done a lot of great work with the juniors and elite pathways which were a mess when he got here. He has done a lot more good than bad but i just don't see him being capable of getting us to the next level unless he seriously changes his ways and goes out and gets some quality assistants.
Quite possibly. But seriously mate, comparing him to Hollbrook and suggesting we'd be better off with him when all that Hollbrook has done is have the Titans win a few games where it doesn't count is plop.

That easy fix was in reference to our lack of effort in that one particular game. He has proven that it was an easy fix by addressing those effort areas in every game since. Don't take it out of context and apply it where it wasn't meant to be applied.

Our spine is a work in progress but it isn't dreadful. Not having Brown has had an impact. I would argue that Brown, Rheed and Gutho have all been fine. The issue is Moses. Even then, Moses has been down on his 2019 form but not dreadful.

Our spine is good enough when we play direct through the middle and give them space and possession. Whenever I watch a game and see us trying to 'finesse' our way out of our own half I know we are in trouble. Whenever we avoid doing that we invariably win.

Avenger

Immortal
I think BA is too obsessed with stats and thinks that if the stats are good we win. He did it last last game by trying to defend his halfback who ran for over 10km in the game but conveniently didn’t mention that most of it was like a headless chook.