What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui to Fullback

holman

Juniors
Why can't we move Lui to Fullback in defence and move Brown up to 5/8 or centre, he is such a worry in defence I don't think we can win, brown has improved a lot as the year has gone on in attack and defence.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
That's a ridiculous suggestion. You can't just throw someone in at the back and expect that they'll be up to the job - bombs, grubbers, positioning, kick returns etc - it's a massive ask and Lui would not be up to it.

All this talk about his defence - who's better in that regard - Soward or Lui? I've never seen Lui palmed away as easily as Soward. He may arm grab a bit, but as I've said before front on he's quite good and will get better.

Just because you have a stupid idea doesn't mean you need to share it with everyone. I personally feel dumber for having read the opening post.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Lui to fullback is never gong to happen,we have enough players who are suspect and have there moments under the high ball eg. Beau,Fitzy,Lote without adding another to the list.Lui has to address his tackling technique,he is getting brushed off going high in attempting to smothering the ball,a better option may be for him to tackle lower, which stops the ball carrier advancing whether he off loads or not.

holman

Juniors
If it is such a stupid idea how come they hide Scott Princess on the wing or outside centre in defence and they are all saying he is the best halfback in the comp at the moment and will play for Australia but we can't put Lui at fullback for 5 tackles easier to take a bomb ,grubber,etc than tackle the rampaging saints forwards. anyway we will see after the weekend, LUI wouldn't tackle a large meal at Maccas

jasonl

Juniors
He'd hate to admit it these days, but the great Peter Sterling used to drop back to fullback while Paul Taylor, a strong defender, moved up and stood in the line.

It wont work in today's game, especially against the kicking game of Soward but gees, it it necessary to flame the poor guy unmercifully?

There's a game to win. Why not be constructive?

Torro

Juniors
If it is such a stupid idea how come they hide Scott Princess on the wing or outside centre in defence and they are all saying he is the best halfback in the comp at the moment and will play for Australia but we can't put Lui at fullback for 5 tackles easier to take a bomb ,grubber,etc than tackle the rampaging saints forwards. anyway we will see after the weekend, LUI wouldn't tackle a large meal at Maccas

If it were Moltzen, you would have a point..

Did you see Lui's positioning when Thurling scored that try at Canberra? The bloke literally watched the offload go into Thurling's hands. I don't want to imagine his positioning as FB.

macnaz

Staff member
lol Lui would turn up when Soward has the ball ready for the conversion. I can see your point Holman but it wouldnt work with Lui. I know his defence can and most probly will improve, but what do they do about his reaction time? Cant remember what part of the game last week but there was a break up the middle and he stood there looking back at it for 5 seconds. Karva induced flashback or something going on

Crazyperpman

Juniors
My biggest nightmare for this weekend is Lui isolated defending against Ben Creagh. I can see the Dragons using their first four tackles on our line just to try and set up this scenerio.

The defense anywhere near Lui is a joke as his team mates are watching their man and in the back of their head they know turnstiles Lui is gonna need some help.

Having said that, I think Lui's work on the ball as a link man in out backline has improved ten fold in the last month and a half.

westie

Bench
Creagh would have to switch sides for that to occur. As he doesn't seem to be able to leave his 10m channel, this is unlikely.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
It's hard to be constructive when something is mind-numbingly stupid Jason. As I said earlier, you can't just move an inexperienced player to fullback and expect that he'd perform at even a modestly average level. Taking bombs, cleaning up grubbers and other attacking kicks, positioning in defence, positioning the defensive line, kick returns are a few of the things that Lui would have to learn inside of what, 4 days? Steve Mortimer used to defend behind the line from memory, although not at fullback, but those days are simply long gone. We're talking near on 30 years.

To the OP. Prince may very well defend out wide, as does Soward. But there is a huge difference between defending at wing or centre and playing fullback. Every good set of six starts with a strong kick return. How often do you see either Prince or Soward returning the ball strongly from a kick? One of my problems with Moltzen playing at the back was his apathetic approach to returning the ball. We'd often give up 10 potential metres as he trotted across field either looking to pass the ball or submit in a tackle. Mitch Brown has been tremendous in this regard. And if taking bombs is so easy, why do the majority of players drop them on a regular basis?

But the most ridiculous aspect of this suggestion is that it was made 4 days from a preliminary final. Chris Lawrence - he who was directly responsible for two tries last week and several other line breaks - has spoken in recent days that the reason he was below standard last week was that the communication wasn't there last Friday. So people are honestly expecting a major re-shuffle in our defensive line before what is the biggest game of the season? You work on these things during the off-season, not 10 days out from a potential Grand Final.

As for Creagh running at Lui, that won't happen as he plays on the left and Lui defends on the left. He'll have to contend with Scott & Gasnier, not an easy prospect and I'm sure he'll be talked about at length. As I've said in other threads, front on he does a reasonable effort so I'm not worried about Scott but Gasnier will cause Lawrence and Lui trouble if they don't work together and put in greater effort than last week.

Last edited:

holman

Juniors
I only suggested he plays fullback while we are DEEFENDING not the whole F---ing game if he can't catch a bomb, clean up a grubber,or other kicks he shouldn't be playing first grade, get him out of the defensive line after we have kicked downfield,pretty simple to me.Everybody drops bombs,fails to clean up grubber kicks, but if you want a repeat performance of being a turnstile so be it, it was no coincidence Canberra targeted Lui in defence and if croker would have kicked the penalty we would be recovering from Mad Monday and 2010 would be a memory.

What i cant understand is all the wraps on Moltzen,he has been out injured for quite a while now & most believe we would be a better team with him in the side.Yet we still finished 3rd.Tim while his attacking skill would suit the tigers style of play his reluctance to put his body on the line re Parramatta last year with the Hayne chip & chase amongst others
gives me cause for concern.They say you dont know no what youve lost till its gone but but im not so sure.He is not the Messiah & to be truthful i am very happy with what we have now.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd hate to admit it these days, but the great Peter Sterling used to drop back to fullback while Paul Taylor, a strong defender, moved up and stood in the line.
Sterlo was actually a fullback in lower grades early in his career. He even played a handful of games in first grade, starting at fullback.

It wont work in today's game, especially against the kicking game of Soward but gees, it it necessary to flame the poor guy unmercifully?

There's a game to win. Why not be constructive?
In today's game, I think the smartest place to put a poor defender is next to your best defender (ie - in the middle) more blokes around to help out and it prevents the poor defender from being isolated and exploited.

Also means if teams want to run at him, they still have to run into the forwards. Means they'd have less success.

Latest posts