What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui wants first shot at halfback

macnaz

Staff member
I was just reading the match report in the cowboys forum and it was mentioned that Tuamata Sauce added flare when he came on... He has already acheived more than Lui has lol .

N.C.

Juniors
I'm all for being surprised - it's just that he's never shown any ability as a ball-playing halfback.
But not to worry... I mean when was the last time we went into a match with a ball-playing halfback?

Talanexor

Juniors
You've gotta love that quote:

"I want first crack at halfback"

Mate, I'D love to play halfback for the Tigers. Problem is, I don't have anywhere near enough ability to do it. Neither do you.

Borat.

Juniors
You've gotta love that quote:

"I want first crack at halfback"

Mate, I'D love to play halfback for the Tigers. Problem is, I don't have anywhere near enough ability to do it. Neither do you.

He has all the talent in the world and will recieve rookie of the year noms this season.

Vicious

Bench
Robert Lui has plenty of attacking ability, just needs to commit himself much better in defence and he`ll be a gun first grader. He`s a natural 5/8 who is being forced to quickly transform into a halfback in order to play first grade and I have no doubt that he`ll do it, but it was nether going to happen over night. Those games under his belt from the end of last season will do his confidence wonders and he`ll be a much better footballer in `2010.

In saying this he`ll have to quickly step up to the plate as we have plenty of other options these days if he doesn`t fire. I`m a fan of Tim Moltzen at halfback, he`s not a traditional halfback either, but plays his role well and asks plenty of questions of the opposing defence. The teams record when he wears the number 7 speaks for itself.

Blake Lazarus is the wildcard, he could be the best of them all, but not easy to come back to your best after 24months out of action.

Arana Taumata is the other option, easily the best ball runner of them all, but not much of a kicking game and even less of a traditional half than what Lui and Moltzen are.

In years gone by we have really struggled due to not have a natural organising type halfback, this season with our added size and power from 1-13 I don`t think it`s gonna worry us too much. And don`t forget classy footballers such as Lui and Moltzen can be blended into a top class halfback just as Scott Prince was !!!

westie

Bench
What's with the whole "oh we won heaps with Moltzen at half thing"?

Did you guys pay any attention to who we played and at what stage of the year (the same time we always win, when everyone is taking a break in the lead up to the business end)? Let alone their performances on the day? The only time we were ever tested was for a few minutes when Watmough started having a crack by himself and almost did us in single handedly. A few of us said a week or two into the run that we'd win until we played Parra (a good team) when we'd be shown up regardless of how well we played.

By the same logic Danny Galea should be starting for us still ahead of Heighno (something that wouldn't disappoint me, I must admit)

Vicious

Bench

Did you guys pay any attention to who we played and at what stage of the year (the same time we always win, when everyone is taking a break in the lead up to the business end)? Let alone their performances on the day? The only time we were ever tested was for a few minutes when Watmough started having a crack by himself and almost did us in single handedly. A few of us said a week or two into the run that we'd win until we played Parra (a good team) when we'd be shown up regardless of how well we played.

By the same logic Danny Galea should be starting for us still ahead of Heighno (something that wouldn't disappoint me, I must admit)

What you say has some merit, but winning form is good form, you can only beat what`s put in front of you. Moltzen like Lui is definately not a natural halfback, but they both have a touch of class about their attacking play and I belive either one of them can be transformed into a top class halfback just as Scott Prince was. After all how many natural top class halfbacks are ther running around these days ??? It`s a bit of a dying breed unfortunately as the junior reps are now dominated by big, strong, powerfull polynesians who don`t need anyone to put them into a hole they just get the ball and streamroll the opposition which is all well and good until they reach first grade where plenty of them drop off through not having a great deal of skill. Not all, but the majority are like this and the coaches of the junir reps want to win to boost their credentials like anyone else, therefore they don`t care too much about a natural halfback these days !!!

Vicious

Bench

What you say has some merit, but winning form is good form, you can only beat what`s put in front of you. Moltzen like Lui is definately not a natural halfback, but they both have a touch of class about their attacking play and I belive either one of them can be transformed into a top class halfback just as Scott Prince was. After all how many natural top class halfbacks are ther running around these days ??? It`s a bit of a dying breed unfortunately as the junior reps are now dominated by big, strong, powerfull polynesians who don`t need anyone to put them into a hole they just get the ball and streamroll the opposition which is all well and good until they reach first grade where plenty of them drop off through not having a great deal of skill. Not all, but the majority are like this and the coaches of the junior reps want to win to boost their credentials like anyone else, therefore they don`t care too much about a natural halfback these days !!!

westie

Bench
I agree about the natural halfback thing - but I don't see how chucking in an average 5/8th will help. The difference with Prince was - he was good.

I've said on here for a long time that if you have someone with a bit of class but lacks the halfback thing that you can throw in an organiser, kicker, passer etc and let them run the show, while the flair man wins the big games and trophy.

It's something a lot of clubs are going to have to deal with, and it's no surprise Bellamy worked it out years ago. Cronk is fairly rubbish - but he facilitates the blokes around him - even he'll admit it.

Borat.

Juniors
What you say has some merit, but winning form is good form, you can only beat what`s put in front of you. Moltzen like Lui is definately not a natural halfback, but they both have a touch of class about their attacking play and I belive either one of them can be transformed into a top class halfback just as Scott Prince was. After all how many natural top class halfbacks are ther running around these days ??? It`s a bit of a dying breed unfortunately as the junior reps are now dominated by big, strong, powerfull polynesians who don`t need anyone to put them into a hole they just get the ball and streamroll the opposition which is all well and good until they reach first grade where plenty of them drop off through not having a great deal of skill. Not all, but the majority are like this and the coaches of the junior reps want to win to boost their credentials like anyone else, therefore they don`t care too much about a natural halfback these days !!!

You can say that again

Vic Mackey

Referee
A few of us said a week or two into the run that we'd win until we played Parra (a good team) when we'd be shown up regardless of how well we played.

ahh it was 4 tries all and we lost both our wingers in the first 20 minutes. i hardly see how this is being 'shown up'

also if a certain brain dead prop hadnt have given away an 8 point try then it would have been all locked up with 10 to go

Borat.

Juniors
Yeah - para def got lucky in that game IMO-

If TNT doesn't get injured we win the game, he breaks the club try scoring record and plays in the 4 nations and likely a shot at the all stars....but missing the 8 will put more pressure on us to make it this year, wich is a good thing.....if we had of just made 8th it would be a well done, good year ....yadda yadda

westie

Bench
ahh it was 4 tries all and we lost both our wingers in the first 20 minutes. i hardly see how this is being 'shown up'

also if a certain brain dead prop hadnt have given away an 8 point try then it would have been all locked up with 10 to go

Come on mate - I was sat there watching it already deciding what to do with my winnings on the punt. I've watched the club pull the same stunt that many times before you know what's going to happen. We were just never a realistic chance of going on with it. We played very well - our best even - but it wasn't good enough without a halfback to seal the deal. Or a fullback for that matter.

If a certain brain dead prop hadn't made 3 try-savers in a row while blokes like Moltzen were no where to be seen we'd not even have been in the contest. And with regards to that particular incident - why was Gibbs the last man having a crack out wide? Where were the people that were supposed to be there?

TimmyB

Juniors
Come on mate - I was sat there watching it already deciding what to do with my winnings on the punt. I've watched the club pull the same stunt that many times before you know what's going to happen. We were just never a realistic chance of going on with it. We played very well - our best even - but it wasn't good enough without a halfback to seal the deal. Or a fullback for that matter.

What? That is just rubbish. Yes we all predicted we'd be shown up. We were not shown up. It was close to the match of the season.

westie

Bench
It was my favourite match of the season. But Parra had firepower we just couldn't call on. When push came to shove, they lit the fuse and we were left standing under the posts. Benji put on what I think is the best thing i've ever seen on a footy field... but he was doing it alone. Which is the point of this thread. Lui and Moltzen just couldn't get up to speed.

Bench
It was my favourite match of the season. But Parra had firepower we just couldn't call on. When push came to shove, they lit the fuse and we were left standing under the posts. Benji put on what I think is the best thing i've ever seen on a footy field... but he was doing it alone. Which is the point of this thread. Lui and Moltzen just couldn't get up to speed.
Totally agree Westie,and also agree on Gibbs,he does a mountain of work to cover for others who bludge or can't cut it.

blackandwhite

Juniors
:lol: Post of the year...already!!!!! had me pi$$ing myself. Got to agree, mate he looks like he's 40 married and has 5 teenage girls.....hahaha.

Great post mate.

Thanks scarcev.....A mate of mine went to the Foundation Cup game last night...told me Lui looks unfit .........what a surprise !

I hope Lui proves me wrong and good luck to him but I just don't think he has anywhere near the fitness level or skill required to play NRL at this stage ....but then he is only 18 or 19 or something.