What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rookies 2008

Big Pete

Referee
A list of possible candidates from each club:

Brisbane Broncos - Josh Hoffman
Bulldogs - Brent Crisp
Canberra Raiders - Justin Carney
Cronulla Sharks - Jayson Bukuya
Gold Coast Titans - Jordan Atkins
Manly Sea Eagles - David Williams
Melbourne Storm - Aiden Tolman
Newcastle Knights - Junior Sau
North Queensland Cowboys - Nick Slynly (spelling?)
Parramatta Eels - Tony Williams, Matt Keating or Taulima Tautai
Penrith Panthers - Joseph Paulo
St. George Illawarra Dragons - Matt Prior
South Sydney - Ben Lowe
Warriors - Russell Packer
West Tigers - Tim Moltzen
Sydney Roosters - Anthony Cherrington

I think we can all agree Justin Carney's debut has blown any other 2008 debut performance out of the water. I think he'll win rookie of the year.

Stizyler

Juniors
I think we can all agree Justin Carney's debut has blown any other 2008 debut performance out of the water. I think he'll win rookie of the year.
i disagree, Tony Williams has done much more in his few games. A couple of trys against a depleted team that played like crap doesn't really mean much imo.

nzwarriors60

Juniors
i disagree, Tony Williams has done much more in his few games. A couple of trys against a depleted team that played like crap doesn't really mean much imo.
If Matulino got more than 20mins on the feild he would of ripped it up. In 20mins Made a linebreak put a hit on gallen and did some damaging runs, if this kid gets more time this week you will see he is a real contender for the rookie of the year.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Wade Graham and Masada Iosefa tomorrow night for Penrith.

Wade could be the youngest debutant ever for Penrith. Not too sure exactly how old Fittler was.

mxlegend99

Referee
Brad Fittler
Born: 05/02/1972
NRL Debut: 18/08/1989 (first day of the weekend he debuted)

Wade Graham
Born: 25/10/1990
NRL Debut: 20/06/2008

He is 44 days older the Brad Fittler was. Although he wasn't even born when Brad Fittler made his debut. :cool:

This is assuming the following site is correct:
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

If so, it was extremely handy. :D

skeepe

Immortal
man was utai rookie in 2002? how old is he? I thought he was not that recent debuting.....and im guessing no 2003 because of no dally m's? What happened with that, it was ages ago and I don't know what happened, but it is pretty annoying because penrith got rorted, would have had dally m player of the year and rookie for sure

How so? The Daily Telegraph printed the leaderboard when the awards were called off, and Clinton Schifcofske was leading from Brad Fittler with only a few rounds to go.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Brad Fittler
Born: 05/02/1972
NRL Debut: 18/08/1989 (first day of the weekend he debuted)

Wade Graham
Born: 25/10/1990
NRL Debut: 20/06/2008

He is 44 days older the Brad Fittler was. Although he wasn't even born when Brad Fittler made his debut. :cool:

This is assuming the following site is correct:
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

If so, it was extremely handy. :D

Haha MX.Sorry to put you through all that, cause neither are correct! Nathan Barnes apparently debuted at 17 years and 2 months.

mxlegend99

Referee
It wasn't all that difficult.

If i'd worked it out in my head for no reason, i'd be pissed off. lol. Fortunately i don't have the patience to even attempt that.

Does Shortland from the Warrior qualify for rookie of the year? I reckon he's looked pretty good in the few games he's played.

Y2Eel

First Grade
How so? The Daily Telegraph printed the leaderboard when the awards were called off, and Clinton Schifcofske was leading from Brad Fittler with only a few rounds to go.

Gower had that in the Bag he was going to win it...

willvillain

Juniors
how many games though? does he still qualify for rookie of the year?

Pretty sure he just played the one game, but as mentioned, it doesn't matter. Under the old rules you could play a certain amount off the bench and still be eligible, but I don't know if they still apply. And even if they did, Shortland started for the Storm (fairly sure) in his one game....so he'd be out anyway.

And I hardly think his form is ROTY stuff anyway...

Pretty sure he just played the one game, but as mentioned, it doesn't matter. Under the old rules you could play a certain amount off the bench and still be eligible, but I don't know if they still apply. And even if they did, Shortland started for the Storm (fairly sure) in his one game....so he'd be out anyway.

And I hardly think his form is ROTY stuff anyway...

He started off very well (2 tries in his first game this year) and from there I saw him as a contender if he qualified, he has really dropped off since then though.