What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roos: Mini out- Hunt in

miccle

Bench
Okay, Broncos fan trying to leave behind my bias...

Hunt should not be the one selected, despite the fact that I am personally happy for him. Currently, the top fullbacks imo are:

1. Minichiello(injured)
2. Bowen
3. Slater (suspended)
4. Hodgson (injured)

After that, on form imo you could pick Shifcofske, Hunt, Hornby or Inglis.

Bowen should have been picked, far and away the best choice for a replacement. For some weird reason, he wasn't and imo any of the four fullbacks mentioned above are the ones behind the top four.

I don't agree with the selection, but I hope he has a good game and is fit and firing to back up for us against Newie.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Its an absolute disgrace that the 3rd games in Melbourne, but the Blues will win the series anyway

bowen_1

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Gosh guys, Kamichael deserves this chance just as much as the other candidates. The only other options were Hornby, Bowen, and Ingliss. Hornby played ordinary on saturday, so did bowen. That leaves Ingliss really. Its a judgement call and I believe he is 12 months off being a test footballer Ingliss. He will be good in the Origin. Therefore my opnion is that they got this one right.

So your basing your selection on one game alone?

This is an absolute disgrace, can't believe they picked cutie, aka 13th best fullback in the comp. Bowen's been brilliant for most of this season, and most of the past 4 seasons. This selection is based purely on politics, and I am just shocked and apalled.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Thats true, but i would back in Lockyer and Thurston with a backline that will contain the likes of Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Tate, and Slater over a halves combo of Trent "where is wigan" Barrett and Craig "Club player" Gower.

What about a backline with Gasnier, Cooper, King and Tahu?

Blues don't need Johns, Orford or Gower will do the job

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
Thats true, but i would back in Lockyer and Thurston with a backline that will contain the likes of Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Tate, and Slater over a halves combo of Trent "where is wigan" Barrett and Craig "Club player" Gower.

that is because you are a biased traitor

your predictions last year have left me in little doubt it will be another Blues victory this year.

Mr Saab

Referee
Gasnier and Cooper. Hmmm
One wants to be a wallaby, the other is playing ver avg at present.
King and Tahu...good player,s very good players.
Orford and Gower hey? Wow, you really have confidence in those 2? Orford is know for struggling in tight games. Yes he has done ok this yr on occasion.

Mr Saab

Referee
El Diablo said:
that is because you are a biased traitor

your predictions last year have left me in little doubt it will be another Blues victory this year.

Good...do you like my other prediction about Parra Brisbane GF :lol:
Looking good isnt it! Poor parra. Another yr of futility. Looks like 2003 all over again.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It's true that Gowers rep form hasnt been the best in the past, but I think Orfords turning into a classy half-has a better running game than most other 7's and just needs a chance at the Origin level

Tommy Smith

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
A lot of racism toward aboriginals isn't solely based on the colour of their skin, just their race. You'll find a lot of racist comments about Aboriginals from people that never direct such comments to any other race, dark skinned or not.

You're right it probably is ridiculous, so I should withdraw the comment; it's not fair to accuse the selectors of racism. I'm just struggling to find a reason as to why Hunt was picked. Anyone got one?
One word - fad. Coutesy of the freedictionary.com:

----------------------------------------------------------
fad
A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze

Noun1.fad - an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
----------------------------------------------------------

Phil Bailey was the beneficiary of a fad in the 2003 Origin series. The story of Phil's selection went like this: his name wasnt even brought up at the selection table, then when Gus Gould said he wanted a Steve Menzies type player but younger (a backrower who can fill in at centre) someone mentioned Phil Bailey's name. Then suddenly, FAD!, something new that sounds great without much thought. So with great enthusiasm and exaggerated zeal the NSW selectors were blinded and amazingly picked Phil Bailey.

Now, fast forward to April 30 2006 at the Australian selection table: "im just not sure about Matty, he's been on our minds as the back up to Mini but after last nights effort under the high ball ive gone off him abit". "Well...i know a name that we havent even thought of but im sure he'd go alright...what, erm, what about Karmichael Hunt?" FAD! "Oh yeah, thats such a fresh new idea!" Then, without no serious thought and fuelled by great enthusiasm and exaggerated zeal, the selectors took a punt on Karmichael.

Fast forward another 6 months and the hype will have died down, because remember a fad only lasts for a short period of time, and Karmichael will once again be down the pecking order for the Australian fullback job.

Now the above theory does contain a tinge of light-heartedness; but at its core i do believe it is a valid reason for many brain-explosion selections. Take Brad Meyers for example. He came up with one miraculous offload in Origin and then, FAD!, hes playing for Australia. Clearly no serious thought went into the decision to pick him as we have seen by the fact that Mr Meyers is crap. He was purely the beneficiary of being someone who came out of nowhere, fuelling the selectors excitement for a brief period.

Karmichael's selection is the same. Although to be fair to Hunt i do believe he is a classy player and he will return to rep teams in the future.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
Good...do you like my other prediction about Parra Brisbane GF :lol:
Looking good isnt it! Poor parra. Another yr of futility. Looks like 2003 all over again.

but what have you got against your own team?

lockyno1

Post Whore
bowen_1 said:
So your basing your selection on one game alone?

This is an absolute disgrace, can't believe they picked cutie, aka 13th best fullback in the comp. Bowen's been brilliant for most of this season, and most of the past 4 seasons. This selection is based purely on politics, and I am just shocked and apalled.

Not at all but in the selector's minds it did not help Bowen that he played so poorly against the Roosters. Which was compounded by the fact that the Roosters are coached by Ricky Stuart-the Australian coach. I can see his point of view on this issue.

Timbo

Staff member
robyalvaro said:
Go watch your beloved Rugby Union you stupid merkin... how is this motivated by politics? True RL supporter you are...

You're a complete f*ckstick.

You got owned in fight club so you're trying to turn this into a league/union debate?

How about you have a go at everyone else calling it a bad decision d*ckhead.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Look, its simple. The selectors oviously wanted someone more than just a "fullback". They wanted someone with ballplaying skills, someone who can kick, and who is also good at deflating highballs. In terms of overall balance, Hunt is a better player than Bowen (maybe not at ball running though). I love Bowen, but lets think back to last year, SOO Game 3. They dropped slater and put Bowen at fullback. I did not like this. I was scared. What did he do? sh*t all. I don't even remmebr him running the ball! That too would of been a factor, as it was his first "start" in a rep game, and one that failed miserably. I can bet anything he is not QLD fullback this year either.

And when Hunt has a good game, i just wonder what all the haters are going to say.

Hutty1986

Immortal
AsPiRiNg YoUtH said:
Look, its simple. The selectors oviously wanted someone more than just a "fullback". They wanted someone with ballplaying skills, someone who can kick, and who is also good at deflating highballs. In terms of overall balance, Hunt is a better player than Bowen (maybe not at ball running though). I love Bowen, but lets think back to last year, SOO Game 3. They dropped slater and put Bowen at fullback. I did not like this. I was scared. What did he do? sh*t all. I don't even remmebr him running the ball! That too would of been a factor, as it was his first "start" in a rep game, and one that failed miserably. I can bet anything he is not QLD fullback this year either.

And when Hunt has a good game, i just wonder what all the haters are going to say.

We'll still say hes not anywhere near Australia's No.2 fullback

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
It's a really sad day for league. There is at least another 6 fullbacks who have a right to be blowing up. Selection obviously has nothing to do with form or exerience or any reason I can put my finger on. The whole political nature of the ARL is a real turn off. Good luck to the Kiwi's they deserve to win this.

God-King Dean

Immortal
AsPiRiNg YoUtH said:
Look, its simple. The selectors oviously wanted someone more than just a "fullback". They wanted someone with ballplaying skills, someone who can kick, and who is also good at deflating highballs. In terms of overall balance, Hunt is a better player than Bowen (maybe not at ball running though).

Oh, so Hornby & Bowen don't kick hey ? Bowen is practically Cowboys 5/8th. So don't give us that sh*t 'they want another play-maker' when they have Johns, Lockyer & Thurston in the team.

I love Bowen, but lets think back to last year, SOO Game 3. They dropped slater and put Bowen at fullback. I did not like this. I was scared. What did he do? sh*t all. I don't even remmebr him running the ball! That too would of been a factor, as it was his first "start" in a rep game, and one that failed miserably.

You obviously didn't watch the game very well blinded by your tears. Bowen got the ball alot around the edges of the ruck, especially when attacking NSWs line. Failed miserably ? He made one mistake & the whole team was appalling. P.S Remember that bomb he caught leaping into the air ?

Tate played well in the Tri-Nations. Are you going to try & tell me he deserved that ?

Latest posts