What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters at it again

Kaz

junior
Bedseys Achillies said:
oh something else interesting he said said was the sugestion of introducing a loyalty rewards program, to the players...i think it means, the longer that they stay the club, each year, their salary goes up accordingly...but i didn't hear all of that, iw ish i did...'cause it sounded pretty good.

When I hear Fatty, my hearing turns off. :lol:

But what you heard does seem a great idea.

Doctor

Bench
Bedseys Achillies said:
oh something else interesting he said said was the sugestion of introducing a loyalty rewards program, to the players...i think it means, the longer that they stay the club, each year, their salary goes up accordingly...but i didn't hear all of that, iw ish i did...'cause it sounded pretty good.

The NRL already has systems in place to reward club loyalty, but not enough. Players who stay at the one club for 10 years or more receive some sort of exemption (whether partial or full) from the salary cap.

What should be implemented is further cap exemptions for clubs who use more than 80% locally-produced players. Compare the Knights with the Roosters and you tend to notice stark differences in their junior development - this must be addressed before any salary cap alterations are made.

Granting an extention of the cap will only give the Roosters more reason to buy more players - one Roosters fan I know when asked what he thought of their latest legal moves re: the cap, said: "so what". When asked whether he was phased at all by suggestions it would damage the comp and whether he cared about the Rooster's image as the chief exponents of cheque-book rugby league, he simply replied: "I don't care, we'll just buy more players and keep winning the comp".

From what I've heard, this is a typical response - as Dr Karl would say: "Biiiggg problem!". :?

mrford61

Juniors
Well I dont know, I think it,s a fair argument if all he says is fact.

I am not a Roosters or Gould fan but have a healthy distrust of the media particularly when they are commenting on something they have such a strong financial interest in.
Personally I,m not sure a modest raise in the cap would be a bad thing and dispensation so clubs can hold onto long term players is a must.

What we , or I dont anyway, know is the details of what the Roosters are proposing. Have we gone on a sledging campaign based on media misinformation and our natural dislike of the Roosters or are they really trying to hijack the game by undoing the cap?

I still beleive that the "good of the game" is the most important thing to Phil Gould and he would'nt propose anything to bring it down.

Oh, equally as important would be the cultivation of his self appointed godlike status in all things pertaining to the game.

antonius

Coach
I'll say it again, why threaten to take it to court? I can see where the Roosters are coming from, it's familiar territory for a lot of clubs, They have players coming of contract and want extra money to keep them at their club. We've all been there done that. The fact remains the clubs voted 14-1 to keep it as is for another year, accept the decission. I am still waiting for a Roosters supporter to justify taking this to court, all they are doing is blindly backing what their club is proposing to do. "poetic tragedy", and "Bedseys Achillies" The Dally M cancellation was about player conditions, and guarentees. Nobody is singling out the Roosters they did that themselves when they started this, (Last time I looked they were the ones doing all the talking). There are ways of negotiating things, holding a hammer over someones head isn't one of them

Kaz

junior
I bet there are clubs that are secretly behind the Roosters, but are letting them take the rap.

antonius

Coach
Kaz said:
I bet there are clubs that are secretly behind the Roosters, but are letting them take the rap.

No doubt there are some, but it'll be a minority of clubs. The Roosters would be better served trying to get a bigger slice of the income League generates for all the clubs, then all the players will benifit, not just the Roosters (and the others that can afford it at the moment) it's fine to get it raised(the cap) it's another thing to be able to pay it. Lets get the NRL to give the clubs a bigger payment each year and put that back into player payments. The fact is at the moment the majority of clubs don't have the money to raise them.

Latest posts