What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Knights Discussion

Hanscholo

Bench
I thought Pearce went well today, he has to be close to selection. Gidley was good, but the lack of an intelligent kicking game holds him back in the 7.

The highlight for me was that we went in down 20-12 and didnt let them score again in the game. We dominated the entire second half, and ran them off the field. Our quick passing and expansive game is right up there with any side in the comp right now.

We did some stupid things though, Patto and Houston kicking was terrible. All in all it was a great win, 2 points there today was a huge bonus for us.

Bailey is standing out to me at the moment. He has so many parts to his game that i either never saw last year or he has developed in the offseason. He has a really deceptive dummy, he straightens and steps very well and can ball play. He has outplayed Mullen so far this year as far as i am concerned.

And Danny Wicks, palms off Mason and out paces Perrett to score. lmao. The Chatswood RSL went up as one.

GrkBoi

Juniors
Just got home from work and to my disappointment we lost
Just wanted to say congrats boys on a well deserved win

Alex28

Coach
How the f**k would I know you idiot, but going off last season Walsh sh*ts all over Kidley as a halfback.

Just what I thought - you only made your initial response just to be a c**k. Not to actually add any value to the discussion.

Nice to see nothing much has changed...

Johns Magic

Referee
Just what I thought - you only made your initial response just to be a c**k. Not to actually add any value to the discussion.

Nice to see nothing much has changed...

No, I said it because it was a stupid comment on your behalf with absolutely no thought behind it(though you have to wonder about that).

"put your best player at halfback"

Great idea when that player is perfectly suited to fullback and doesn't have a playmaking bone in his body.

Well thought out. Nice to see nothing much has changed.

Alex28

Coach
Well champ...if we were to put the best player on the field at half it would have been Buderus and not Kidley. You knew exactly what I was talking about...but it is more your style to be a petulant prick rather than actually discuss football.

Either way...no Dureau, Mullen and no desire to choose Walsh. Kidley it is.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well champ...if we were to put the best player on the field at half it would have been Buderus and not Kidley. You knew exactly what I was talking about...but it is more your style to be a petulant prick rather than actually discuss football.

Halfback is the most important position on the field and you want to throw in a guy with no playmaking ability when we have a talented half in PL reportedly in the form of his career.

There was a reason Kidley was moved out of the halves, and a very good one at that.

Alex28

Coach
I agree mate. I don't rate him in the halves at all - Fullback is his spot and I wouldn't move him from there.

Smith obviously thinks that Kidley is a better option at half than Walsh at present. All I said was no Mullen, Dureau and Walsh = Kidley next best option.

So is Walsh really in that bad form? Is size more of an issue this year than last?

Another thing...where does Bailey go once Mullen and Dureau are back? I don't see any room for him - lock could be an option but once Simpson is back that wont be an option either. Maybe Centre? Bench isn't really an option either with Hilder there - we'd lose too much size on the bench...

It is a shame because he had a really good game today...

Alex28

Coach
It's all very well saying that...and you may very well be right...but I'm looking for more than that.

Who's been watching him play this year? Why wouldn't Smith want to pick him for Firsts when he had no hesitation in throwing him in last year?

Alex28

Coach
Read more than the first line of the post and you shall find...

What valid reasons would there be for leaving Walsh out? Current Form? Size? Just doesn't rate him?

Serc

First Grade
Yeah I think Walshy should've played today too, but you are a dogmatic bugger sometimes JM :p

Any of Dureau/Mullo/Walsh before Gidley at halfback for mine.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Walsh proved, beyond about two games last year, he just wasn't up to first grade standard. Has he really shone that much in reserves that he should be recalled?

Knight87

Juniors
Here's my synopsis of events today.

Loved seeing the Roosters folk go more quiet than a stunned mullet, once the Knights got into the lead. Even that stupid Roosters mascot with the drum couldn't wreak any havoc on the Knights parade! Even before the Knights scored that first 2nd half try in the 69th minute, I remember saying to myself and to another fellow Knights supporter next to me, "If the Knights just score that ONE try, they'll go on with the job and win. they'll build that momentum". The Roosters were starting to look very flat and pedestrian in the latter stages of the game. It's funny to think that even without our two best starting halves (Mullen and Dureau), we still managed to put on 34 pts (the most we have this year), and those late tries came in very handy, in regards to putting us back into positive for-and-against territory. I hope Mullen and Dureau will come back, so we can move Gidley back to fullback (which gives us an extra attacking option). Kids played well today, but the only thing lacking from the halfback role is kicking. I much prefer Kids at fullback. I must also commend Naiqama today. I thought he played very well in his non-prefered position of fullback today. McManus had a good game today, made a few good busts. Keith Luila played a lot better today, at least he managed to "hold onto the ball". Cross played a lot better than last week (mostly due to match fitness); seemed to take a fair amount of hit-ups today.

I do think the major turning point, which turned out to be the icing on the cake, was that Roosters player who tried to kick for touch, and Wes Naiqama battered it back into the field of play. knights scored off that set of 6, which got them into the lead. Tbh, that's a tactic I'd like to see the Knights do more. Instead of just casually jogging back, actually get into position, so that the opposition (off a penalty) can't try to bite off more metres on the kick, because if he does, then the same situation (like what Naiqama did) will happen. Another tactic the Knights will try is more dummy-half running. The Knights picked up plenty of yardage in the 2nd half, from dummy-half runs, led mainly by Danny Buderus. Another observation: I'm surprised neither team went for 40/20's today. A tad bit dissapointing. As has been demonstrated today, Knights have gotta do away with all those stupid grubber kicks (unless you can actually get it into the ingoal) and go for bombs. Roosters scored their tries from high kicks. On a high kick, there's always a 50/50 chance of getting the ball back. Whenever the Knights put up bombs today, they looked very dangerous. Not only putting up a bomb is good, you've gotta attack as well; don't just stand there and wait for the fullback to take it.

Another woeful display from the ref. Not getting a penalty to the 51st minute was disgraceful. Roosters were consistently offside most of the match, and were holding down for inordinate periods of time. No wonder this is Steve Lyons first match in first grade for about two years, I believe. The only other worse ref is Tony De La Heras. I think Brian Smith should really have a word to ref boss Robert Finch about this, as this is starting to turn into a very untenable situation. Last week, the Broncos also got the rub of the green with the reffing 50/50's

Brian Smith getting angry was pretty funny too (all the "anger management coach award" goes to Craig Bellamy, if there ever was one). I can understand though. Knights improved a lot on last week, but still gotta work on execution and not try to force the outcome, but rather try to play the set as a set of 6, not a set of 3 tackles. Also, another thing they've gotta work on is their kicking game (when Dureau and Mullen are not there)

Adam MacDougall....I'm sorry folks, brilliant 7-8 yrs ago, but he's definitely past it. He's served the club very well, don't get me wrong, and in his prime, was the most damaging backline player (he was a fullback/winger/centre/forward all in one), but as I said earlier, he's had it. That try where the Roosters player jumped infront him, that was extremely poor. Doogs just stood there like the Colossus of Rhodes, not even making an attempt at the ball. And to all those who may be critical of me, in regards to this paragraph, when Doogs plays, I can guarantee you, the opposition will always attack his side of the field, cause they know his defense is pretty hap-hazard.

I don't think I laughed sooooooo hard in my life when I saw Danny Wicks make that fend on Willie Mason, and run 65m to score after the fulltime siren. AHHHAHHA! Neither could the Knights fateful that were surrounding me. Reminds me of a try at the same ground 8 yrs, when Australia took on the NZ Residents. Gorden Tallis made a 90m run, and had like 3 or 4 poor Kiwis riding on his back, but they still couldn't tackle him, and big Gordy scored.

Instead, the only difference is Wicks is bigger than Tallis. Won't be surprised if Big Danny starts to build a bit of a cult status with the Novacastrian folk in the months to come.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Mad Dog has been sh*te ever since we brought him back to the club. I'm all for loyalty, but he shouldn't be anywhere near a first grade squad in the NRL.

Knight87

Juniors
Also, another point:

Soz, also another thing (which is worrying). The Knights have gotta break this habit of giving other sides a head start. I get the impression that it's almost like the Knights have to get themselves into a dire straits losing situation, before they really knuckle down and start playing well. I know Brian Smith once said in a press conference, "We play an exciting brand of football. Don't forget your heart pills". Well, at the rate this habit keeps continuing, I think there will be a lot of supporters getting cardiac arrests if they're not careful. hehehhehe! LOL!

Their 2nd half defense was brilliant (eg. like the Manly and Parra matches earlier this year). Their defense is 11000000000000x better than last year.

The Knights need to look at and study the tape of the game vs Parramatta last year (the only game last year we won by more than 6 pts, with a lot more inferior side than the games we did win that year). We need to play a game like we did last year vs Parramatta. Get off to a good start, complete sets of 6, minimise errors (especially in your own half, which is just suicide, as you're directly asking the opposition to score against you), capitalise on your oppositions errors by building pressure and SCORE points. That way, you can get momentum, the opposition is the one that's under pressure and they're the ones that will be forced to play razzle-dazzle and risky football, and then that opens the door for more errors on their behalf, which you can then convert into even more points! We manage to accomplish this at Parramatta Stadium last year, even with all the players we had out for that match and with a much less superior side than we have now.

As they say, nothing is impossible. Today, we scored 34 pts (the most we have this year) without our best halves.

knights_86

Juniors
royal - fantastic game! stats speak for them-self. im stoked his discipline was great too.

patto, cross, wicks, faaaso- along with royal, were all really good today. was especially pleased with our ruck defence compared to last week. good to see cross improving.

tolar- bit quiet but solid

hilder, taia- good again, reliable fellas i think

houston- was disappointing today. stupid penalties and offloads. back to the bench for a while i think

gids - relatively poor kicking/positional game (for a halfback) as expected, but his energy and running game basically made up for this. belongs at the back though.

bailey - poor kicking game too but geez hes a good ball runner and always looks likely to make a break.

both gids and bails had good games, but i think if our forwards didnt do so well they would have looked ordinary. cant be too harsh though, they did well in the circumstances. we definitely need mullo or dureau at half in the future however.

bedsy - not 'outstanding' like in previous weeks, but typical hardworking game nonetheless

doogs- does look a bit slow and past it, although i highly doubt smith will drop him anytime soon.

naiqama- terrific game at the back (nrl stats now says 226 metres but it always seems to be changing). also just a thought (that someones made a thread about before), maybe wes on the wing is not a bad idea as his kick returns are quite good, much better than vuna because wes actually runs forward, not sideways. then again, we are quite short on quality centres at the moment..

lulia- solid and improved from last week, but was silly in taking out anasta. must make-way for wes vs titans

mcmanus- shocka under anastas kick, but his dummy half running was outstanding (193m i think). too bad the ball never gets to his wing in attack.

vuna- not a bad game, but still relatively disappointing. lucky to still be holding his spot i think

think i covered everyone, hope i dont bore too many ppl. im just stoked we won thats all.

oh and had to mention;

the ref- steve lyons- consistent game i thought, especially considering hes been out of FG for a while. probably the best ref performance we've had this year, lets just hope de las haras stays out of the nrl

Kazaf

Juniors
Very bad communication between McManus & Vuna(?) from the high ball catch.

Naiqama had a good game, again I will mention what someone has said. He is one of the best buys for us this year.

Pity about the bye next week I really wanted to see our team get out there again. Really excited about our team this year, looking very good.
First time for a while that I've been so excited to see our team play.