What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Knights Discussion

Coastbloke

Bench
The 2 things that pissed me off most...

Too many early kicks in play and too many risky offloads - I have no fingernails...

Naiqama Knights player of the day....

BTW, It was really funny. I was off to the Ettalong Club for dinner with the girlfriend tonight, and we had to go to a ATM, So she got money out of the ANZ at Woy Woy around 6, and the Knights bus pulled up outside Woy Woy Cop Stn and someone (one of the trainers) gets himself a trolley and head for Woolies/Macs Liquor...

lol.....

I drives past home, pull down the window, gives him the thumbs up and yells out "Good Win today mate"

lol

keeney

First Grade
Roosters receive heritage lesson

By Liam FitzGibbon
April 20, 2008

NEWCASTLE coach Brian Smith praised his side for overcoming a lop-sided penalty count to pull off a remarkable comeback and blow away the Sydney Roosters 34-20 in their NRL match at Bluetongue Stadium.
The Knights trailed 20-12 at half-time but piled on 22 unanswered points in the second half to snap a three-game losing streak and break the Roosters' winning run of as many games.

Two late tries to Knights five-eighth Chris Bailey and a stunning last-minute 60-metre try to 110kg prop Danny Wicks sealed the result after winger Cooper Vuna had got the Knights back within four with 10 minutes on the clock.

Smith, while believing his side played "well below" what they had in recent weeks during three straight losses, was relieved to get the two points after being on the wrong end of referee Steve Lyons' penalty count.

Asked what factors had contributed to the win, Smith replied: "I wouldn't suggest it would be the 8-2 penalty count including a penalty-less entire half of footy - again.

"We just can't buy them. I would toss up some cash if I thought it would help us get a penalty or two."

Smith picked the turning point as the moment when Roosters half-back Mitchell Pearce failed to find touch with a kick from a penalty late in the second half.

Bailey scored his first try moments later before Kurt Gidley converted to put the Knights in front for the first time.

"Ironically, probably that failure to find touch on one of the eight penalties they had in the second half was probably the turning point , it put more pressure back on them," Smith said.

"Somehow or other we hung in for long enough and held the ball well enough."

Knights captain Danny Buderus said a half-time "rocket" from Smith and a warning from the coach that no team with a 2-4 win-loss record has gone on to make the top eight, helped inspire the turnaround.

"We just weren't playing for each other in the first half and I think once we did that the game changed and we looked like a football team," Buderus said.

The Roosters had launched an aerial assault in the first half, with bombs by Braith Anasta and Mitchell Pearce setting up tries for Craig Fitzgibbon, Iosia Soliola and Shaun Kenny-Dowall, while Amos Roberts also crossed.

Forward Jesse Royal and Cory Paterson scored Newcastle's first-half tries to keep them within touch and, after a sloppy opening to the second half, they finished all over the tiring Roosters.

Wicks' spectacular final try provided the most unlikely of endings for the entertaining match, the 190cm, 110kg prop smashing through the line and fending off several attempted tackles in his 60 metre effort to score under the posts.

Fitzgibbon admitted the Roosters were just outplayed, while coach Brad Fittler agreed Newcastle were the better team.

"They just keep coming at you, they're an enthusiastic side and they just wore us down," Fittler said.

"The best team won, at times we looked like the stronger team but we never looked like the more enthusiastic or the hungrier team."

The sour notes of the victory for the Knights came through an ankle injury to prop Richard Fa'aoso, while Buderus was placed on report for an elbow to the head of full-back Sam Perrett.

Haha. Sexual.

strewth_mate

Bench
Now you'll have to forgive me cos I haven't seen the game, but concerning Houston: I'd been left with a very good impression of him from the first 5 games this year - be interesting to see if my impression will change as much as it has been suggested after I watch the replay tomorrow...

And also, it sounds like we let the Roosters out of their own half time and again with perfectly convenient penalties - I would very much like to see an end to that. And an end to giving sides big leads, because not all teams will let us back into a game, and for all we talk up our defense, it's frustrating to see it still leak points, circumstantial or not.

But yes, how about I actually watch the thing...

(On Walsh, incidentally - saw enough of him last year to suggest that in more favourable conditions, as in, a team that is capable of winning matches, he could do some good things. Not easy to showcase ability when your team is getting flogged around you, but my attitude is more one of benefit of the doubt)

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd like to see a pack of

Cross
Buderus
Sarge
Pato
Simmo
Bails

Faas/royal
Houston
Wicks/tolar
Hilder

shane1970

Juniors
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is in the 62nd or 63rd minute Ben Cross takes a hit up in our end and one of the Roosters defenders (James Aubusson) head rocks back and the other helping defenders make an appeal to the ref for a raised elbow.
Play goes on and a short time later when the Roosters play the ball the ref stops play and has blood wiped off Aubussons face.
I hope there was nothing in it. I didn't see a raised elbow from Cross but then again I wasn't really looking at the hit up but as I said the players appealed and then there was blood. So I'm hoping nothing comes of it and I'm just being a bit cautious.

Pika

Bench
I'd like to see a pack of

Cross
Buderus
Sarge
Pato
Simmo
Bails

Faas/royal
Houston
Wicks/tolar
Hilder

It still amazes me how people keep picking Sarg ahead of either Tolar or Royal.

He is starting to find some good form in PL, but even at his best he would be lucky to shift either Tolar or Royal off the bench, let alone make the run on.

macavity

Referee
It still amazes me how people keep picking Sarg ahead of either Tolar or Royal.

He is starting to find some good form in PL, but even at his best he would be lucky to shift either Tolar or Royal off the bench, let alone make the run on.

x2

they have both been awesome for us this year.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Tolar hasn't been lighting the world on fire this season

It's not his job to set the world on fire. It's his job to get forward, tackle and make no mistakes, which he has done. His not a standout but he does alot of the hit-ups that nobody else wants either (coming out of our own half etc.)

Johns Magic

Referee
It's not his job to set the world on fire. It's his job to get forward, tackle and make no mistakes, which he has done. His not a standout but he does alot of the hit-ups that nobody else wants either (coming out of our own half etc.)

Disagree on him getting us forward

Spike

First Grade
Out of all the props, Tolar has the least metres gained barring Cross who's only played two games

perverse

Referee
royal has been excellent this year - tolar has been solid. tolar certainly hasn't let anyone down - but JM is right, he's not setting the world on fire or anything.

having said that - he is doing the job that is asked of him... and i see a real uphill battle if you want to make the top squad in the forwards this year.

MC DUI

Juniors
Was good that we didn't play that great until the final 20 which has been our best passage of footy in EVERY game so far this year. A few things though:

* Houston really needs to get his backside kicked. He gives away stupid penalties at times and today he put a kick through on the 3rd tackle. WTF?

* The same applies for Paterson too, although he isn't as constantly guilty as Houston. He also should be told never to kick in general play.

* Buderus report - he did hit Perrett in the side of the head with an elbow, no doubt about it, but it wasn't cocked or anything and he was just going in for a shoulder charge and Perrett slipped. Shouldn't have too much to worry about.

* Kidley at 7 - should never be done again. He had a solid game, but was let down by his long kicking game. Had a few nice touches, but is more dangerous playing fullback when he can chime in when he feels the need.

The thread was over with this post, expresses all of my thoughts about the game really.

I was abusing the tripe out of Houston during that game, I hope he gets dropped for a game to make him think about the stupid things he keeps doing, cost us way too much field position.

Jono078

Referee
Tolar's been dissapointing the last 2 games IMO..

He seems to be getting a bit lazy in defence and missing crucial tackles that he doesnt usually miss.

I think a rest would do him the world of good, he's had a big load on his shoulders the opening 6 weeks.

Oh, just remembered, we get the BYE, so hopefully that helps him, otherwise I think Sargent can offer us more if he is 100%

antonius

Coach
royal has been excellent this year - tolar has been solid. tolar certainly hasn't let anyone down - but JM is right, he's not setting the world on fire or anything.

having said that - he is doing the job that is asked of him... and i see a real uphill battle if you want to make the top squad in the forwards this year.
Gotta disagree on Royal, up until this week his dicipline this year has been Perry like, giving away stupid penalties, dropped ball etc. He was back to the form he showed glimpes of last year on Sunday. Tolar has been solid, and of the two he would've been my pick Royal needs to show that form every week.

perverse

Referee
Gotta disagree on Royal, up until this week his dicipline this year has been Perry like, giving away stupid penalties, dropped ball etc. He was back to the form he showed glimpes of last year on Sunday. Tolar has been solid, and of the two he would've been my pick Royal needs to show that form every week.
i agree on royals drop ball, some of it has been frustrating, however i'd like to stick up for the bloke on his penalties. most of the stuff he's been getting pinged for is stuff around the ruck (stuff that he's trained to do) and most of our forwards in general seem to still be feeling out the limits of what they can get away with in that regard. in my eyes his other biggest problem area seems to be from marker... but to be honest i've disagreed with a lot of penalties that have gone against him in that area too... i've seen him penalised for making a perfectly good tackle from a square marker position because the OTHER marker (who was running back to the line) never squared up.

houston on the other hand is being pinged for penalties that are directly related to his discipline. if i were going to drop any of our forwards at the moment (who, up until this point, have been matching it with any pack that's thrown at them) it would be houston. at this stage i can't see any immediate need to sack anyone in the front row unless someone in the lower grades is in screaming hot form and begging for selection. being "good" in NSW cup wont be enough i don't think.

Latest posts