What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Knights Discussion

Pika

Bench
Simmo is expected back against Melbourne.

But the could blow out another three weeks at this early stage.

I see no reason why that could not work JM. Simply push Mullen kick position on the fifth and put Bails on a kick chase.

Will also work well on a cut out to run it on the last as another option.

League_God

Juniors
ive always said id love to see mullen have a run in the centres he has the speed defence and the step.

BG

Juniors
If either Mullo or Bailey can make a go of centre it could take us to a new level. Dureau has kicking and organising skills that no one else at the club has. Mullo has the really nice all round game and his presence ensures sure we have a good kick alternative. Bailey is the most dynamic. It sounds like pretty potent combination.

It's worth mentioning Bailey was the 5/8 at training all off-season only for a last week change of heart from Smith to start Dureau for his kicking game. Sounds to me Mullen is a lot more expendable than people are willing to admit.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Simpson will slot straight into the second row.

Just leave Mullen out for a while.

That's the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. Why the hell would you leave Mullen out? We were pretty ordinary today in the halves if we had Mullo in that side we would have won by 40. Our forwards won us that game and im counting Bailey as another forward.

That's the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. Why the hell would you leave Mullen out? We were pretty ordinary today in the halves if we had Mullo in that side we would have won by 40. Our forwards won us that game and im counting Bailey as another forward.

I hope you're kidding. When was the last time Mullen played on a side that put up 34 points? The ball movement today was the best it's been in ages.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
The only difference between today and when Mullen was playing is that our outside backs were actually catching the ball. Our execution was sh*thouse for 70 minutes of that game. When was the last time Mullen has played behind go forward like that? I can't remember. A bit of individual brilliance from Bailey and Wicks got us home. Paterson try was luck, our other try was just a short ball form Bedsy onto a forward and the Vuna try was the only try that was actuallly constructed well. We need Mullen.

BG

Juniors
It's worth mentioning Bailey was the 5/8 at training all off-season only for a last week change of heart from Smith to start Dureau for his kicking game. Sounds to me Mullen is a lot more expendable than people are willing to admit.

Wasn't that with Mullo at half though?

Knights01

Juniors
A few thoughts:

* Gidley is better at '1' - jump in when and where he feels
* Wes did a great job at the back - but we need him the centres (Mad Dog/Keith doesn't exactly strike fear into the other teams)
* We NEED to start looking at mid-level/top of the range centres - we need something in the 4 to partner Wes
* Houston needs to hold onto that ball - don't need to have it out for the offload everytime
* backrowers should never never ever ever kick in general play
* somehow Smithy needs to maybe find room in the team for both Bailey and Hilder (does Bailey go to 13)
* who drops out for the return of Simpson in the coming weeks??

Just a few thoughts to share with the rest of you...

enjoy!

Bicey_18

Bench
When we had the game won at 28-20 I quickly flicked it over to the foxsports news for an update on the tigers game... flicked it back and I thought.. whats going on? Why are they showing St/george Illawarra clips now? I thought it was a Fox Sports Extra clip... I was thinkin.. I'd love to see Wixee do that for us.. Then I looked at the bottom of the screen and saw Syd 20 New 34.. and remembered lol.. so weird

Whats Doing

Bench
I cannot really see the total negativety with Gidley's performance today at half. I thought overall he was brilliant and if not for his performance, I doubt we would have won.

I think people are missing the point that he was instrumental in having the side play at a very high tempo which enabled the forwards to go over the advantage line with ease in the second half. My view is that it was this high tempo play which greatly tired the Roosters in the second half which enable us to steam home.

Sure some of his longer kicks weren't the best and he was caught in a tackle on the wrong play at times, but his involvement and getting the forwards working off him were brilliant.

I don't believe we would have won had he not been at 1/2 today.

antonius

Coach
What a difference Smith makes. Apparantly he blew the sh!t out of them at halftime (something Hagan wouldn't ever do) I am blown away by the difference in character shown by this team as against the Hagan coached Knights. Sure a lot of different personel but he's got them never giving up. Royal was a revelation this game compared to his last few. I thought it was a great Team effort to win against one of the form sides in the comp. We did it with a makeshift halves combo, with a crap kicking game, but we kept on turning up.

perverse

Referee
f**k YEAH! was at the game, and that win was absolutely fantastic and and very vital to our year. some thoughts:

- kidley at half was just put to bed. as predicted - his kicks were dreadful and we saw all the signature moves in one day (the classic roll the ball over the dead ball line - the gidley chip to the fullback etc etc). in fact the only good kick he did all day was the one that really mattered and got us the repeat set near the end. any of you defending him at halfback are absolutely dreaming, and im totally shocked that the kicking didnt cost us the match.
- our outside backs are terrible. 3 tries on mad dogs wing... and they were all ordinary. i know we're playing a compressed defence and all... but it's just not good enough out there. the roosters went that way all day and got plenty of points for their efforts.
- lulia had a great game. i called for his sacking last week, well let's just say i'm happy im not coaching the knights.
- discipline. it's not good enough. it hurts us badly. we must have given them 5 or 6 piggy backs out of their own half today. once again - surprised it didnt cost us the match.
- bailey. he must be in the side, plain and simple. mullo at centre has to be an option. for some reason though i think mullo will be our halfback henceforth. scotty, unfortunately, to miss out.
- royal was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
- pato's workrate was much better today... and i wont be surprised to see houston missing out on a spot when simmo comes back. his discipline needs work.
- naiqama had a great game at fullback. i hope this doesnt entice smith to put gidley at halfback in the future... but it's nice to know we have a more than capable 2nd string fullback in case of (touch wood) injuries.
- mad dog needs to retire. i hate seeing my memories of him carving up opposition teams being torn to tatters by him hanging around past his used by date.

i'm proud of the team today. we just completely refuse to roll over in matches this year and our enthusiasm just won us a game of football against one of the competition favourites. on top of that, we did it without our first.. or even second string halves combination. there are great times ahead people. exciting times.

Alex28

Coach

Awesome answer. Now tell me why Smith doesn't want to play him?

This could take a while...but unfortunately we will end up with Kidley being the best option at Number 7 with Dureau and Mullen out...and personally I think he is wasted there...but given Smith doesn't want to play him there what is the alternative?